IMO, a good way to draw unwanted attention.... then again, I live in Michigan.....

Best if viewed like fight club... (The movie.. not the subforum)

I was kind of wondering about how it could be looked at. Ever since the whole Mo highway patrol militia report. A couple of the pics in that paper were from the Mo militia site. I don't know what could be some pros and cons of joining a militia???

If you listen to Glenn Beck, vote for Ron Paul

(or third party), distrust B. Diddy and Bishizzle the hip hop

pimpsation that own the whitehouse,

or own any guns then your already considered

a militia by the new Missouri report called

"The Modern Militia Movement."

http://www.kansascity.com/116/story/1086524.html

I heard somewhere, can't remember where, that the MO militia report was something that was conjured up by one of those websites like worldnetdaily.com, to basically stir shit up. I can't confirm this, just relaying what I heard.

As far as joining a militia, I wouldn't do it. I just like to think of myself and my friends who are into guns as our own low key, unsanctioned militia. I think these days a lot of militias are involved in white supremacy stuff, which is something I'd rather not associate myself with on a regular basis.

Edit: just read the link a couple of posts up, I guess the report is legit. That's fucked up.

Edited by elvis christ
I was kind of wondering about how it could be looked at. Ever since the whole Mo highway patrol militia report. A couple of the pics in that paper were from the Mo militia site. I don't know what could be some pros and cons of joining a militia???

The one in my state is VERY secretive, they have a web site for donations and prospective members but the vetting process is very elaborate for both, and that's all I've been able to find out about them. It seems that you probabaly are looked at by invitation upon recomendation of a current member. :ph34r:

As far as joining a militia, I wouldn't do it. I just like to think of myself and my friends who are into guns as our own low key, unsanctioned militia. I think these days a lot of militias are involved in white supremacy stuff, which is something I'd rather not associate myself with on a regular basis.

Like I said, I live in Michigan... It's hard enough to organize a shoot without people lookin' at cha like you was crazy....

I heard somewhere, can't remember where, that the MO militia report was something that was conjured up by one of those websites like worldnetdaily.com, to basically stir shit up. I can't confirm this, just relaying what I heard.

Edit: just read the link a couple of posts up, I guess the report is legit. That's fucked up.

This is off their site so I'm hoping that they are not white supremaciasts.

This site is dedicated to informing, promoting, and training the militia. Because the militia includes ALL the people, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, political affiliation etc. We do not engage in the useless speculation of conspiracy theories and we don't make or use illegal weapons so please don't ask. If you are an American with a genuine interest in defending your family, your country, and the Constitution, then you ARE the militia. For more information contact us: info@missourimilitia.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Based on the posted description, if it's the truth, they sound like the real deal. There are a lot of militias springing up lately, as the movement has seen a resurgence. People are fed up, quite simply.

Anyway, after the late 80s and 90s seeing a huge militia movement, the feds take them seriously, and infiltrate any groups they think might be a threat. There are plenty of whacko groups calling themselves militias these days, as there was before. You don't want any part of these, as just ends up being invited to a midnight door crashing party.

The Constitution provides that all able bodied males are a part of the unorganized militia, a semi-official group that answers mainly to the people. That is to mean that they provide for the defense of the people and the nation, and, in the instance of a tyrannical gov't, for the restructuring of that tyrannical gov't back to the one framed by the Constitution. The gov't can make use of the militias, but they are mainly seperated from the federal gov't, as the framers felt that large standing armies were a bad idea.

You need to be sure that this is what any potential militia you are thinking of joining is about. Not some group of anarchists, or supremacists. Just a group of people who are wanting to help their communities through any emergency, not just ones that would require weapons. All communications must be very cautious, and meetings also. It should be rather clear as to why this is.

Just my .02

This is off their site so I'm hoping that they are not white supremaciasts.

This site is dedicated to informing, promoting, and training the militia. Because the militia includes ALL the people, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, political affiliation etc. We do not engage in the useless speculation of conspiracy theories and we don't make or use illegal weapons so please don't ask. If you are an American with a genuine interest in defending your family, your country, and the Constitution, then you ARE the militia. For more information contact us: info@missourimilitia.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why not take a peek at http://www.yourcivildefense.com/board

White supremacist and anarchists. That is a very good description of the popular opinion held by most americans when the word "militia" is spoken. Even if it was a decent group of guys practicing military tactics and shooting the snot out of things then the name of the organization and the members will go on a list after being investigated. I'm not going to get into a discussion of rights or if the government should or should not do it. The point I'm making is that it will be done.

I was watching national geographic TV last night and watched a show about the New Black Panther Party. Isn't the NBPP a militia? They preach hate, wish to destroy the white race. They have weapons and wear distinctive uniforms and wish to overthrow the government. Should they not be called the New Black Panther Militia? It just seems to me people associate the word militia with a white redneck who loves his guns and wants to kill jews, blacks and take down the government.

In parting I do condone any of the abovementioned violent behavior and I do not belong to a militia.

militias are popping up in uncharted territory right now. They vary from one extreme to another. If you were to associate yourself with one, make sure your ready for anything that may come with it. A well done, and proper Militia actually heeds the call of the government. Acts like a reserve for the reserve in a state of emergency. Don't confuse what people are organizing as "Militia" because those extreme groups are subject to scrutiny, even though it may not be justified.

In your states, look up State Guard, or State Defense, or CERT which all act or perform in some sort of way as a official "state militia" some states have just a State Militia instead of a fancy term

Edited by Vultite

according to the constitution, there is the well organized militia, and the disorganized militia, of which all able bodied males from ages 15-45 are a part and are required to "own" a rifle, powder, shot, and primer, AND train with it to be proficient in its use (all of the original 13 colonies have this in state constitution, as well as all states with NG units thereafter, some have made public posting of this VERY difficult to find, however, but its still there, take a good look)....outside of the rest of us that arent serving or in public service RIGHT NOW, how i read it, is that we should all be ready, and able. and thats it.

what do I think about militias? well, if you are a chapter in a state, you need to answer to your national guard unit, if you organise yourselves. If you dont have a NG unit to answer to, well, make one. All matters of arms then fall into the local county sheriff jurisdiction.

there are no politics with the US militia. When the time comes, those men will be there. hence the 2nd amendment.

The only result of this thread will be that the title puts it on some Fed radar screen........................

And all God's children said, Amen!

I agree with most that the word "militia" has been perverted by the common media to be an unruly group of people seeking to impose their will and illegally destroy property and harm people.

However, by the liberal interpretation of the Second Amendment, these unruly people (the militia) are the only ones that will have a right to bear arms if Heller had gone the other way instead of being an individual right.

A militia should just be regular citizens that can band together to defend their country if the time comes.

WOLVERINES!!!!!

About 10-15 years ago..not sure, (memory is going) there was an group here in TEXAS calling themselves "The Republic of Texas" that had published their views and promoted succeeding from the state. I thought at the time what they had to say made sense and was going to send in my $50 and join. Just about 2 months later the group was raided by the Texas Rangers and some people were jailed for firearms violations ect :blink: Everyone on their list of members had alot of 'splainin' to do!!! Glad I didn;t send my $$ in :eek:

About 10-15 years ago..not sure, (memory is going) there was an group here in TEXAS calling themselves "The Republic of Texas" that had published their views and promoted succeeding from the state. I thought at the time what they had to say made sense and was going to send in my $50 and join. Just about 2 months later the group was raided by the Texas Rangers and some people were jailed for firearms violations ect :blink: Everyone on their list of members had alot of 'splainin' to do!!! Glad I didn;t send my $$ in :eek:

Oh wow! That sucks. I talked to a guy last night and I'm headed out to the range to chat and shoot a bit. Everything on their site seems pretty legit with nothing illegal or crazy conspriacy white power stuff. Doesnt cost anything your just expected to own your own gear. I already have the majority of it though. I'll see how it goes today.

Militias will be bad news if public order actually does break down. It's primarily the caliber of people who are attracted to them that creates the problem. They're military wannabes without the discipline. Most militias will become nothing more than roving heavily-armed gangs that take by force. Sure, they'll take care of their own, but they'll be bad news for everyone else.

hmmm.... I'd pass on anything like that myself.

I'd worry about ending up being the minion of some warlord if things ever did go to crap.

Be sure to ask the conditions of leaving :P

Edited by csspecs

We're all members of a militia's. We're US citizens. But there is no reason at this point to join any organization. We are still at the point where our vote can still count. Attend the Tea Party's. Let out elected officials know how we feel. We are patriots. Violence is a last resort. Always.

Excuse me for being hesitant when a 7 day newb starts a thread on militias...................................

+1 The OP's name alone gives me pause for thought.

lol I'm not any craizer than anyone else, just wanted to throw out a legit question. As for the name its my gt on xbox that I've had forever.

Most of the larger, lets call them "Militia Groups", ruin the whole concept by being based in part on ideologies (like religion or racism), and based in part by trying to be "Extreme Commandos".

There has been much talk about the effectiveness of a "militia group", lets just say, during times when they might be needed.

First of all, they draw too much attention. They are easy to find and eliminate, and all friends and family members of that group will also be guilty by association. If one is caught and interrogated or threatened, there is a strong possibility that he will expose the others. Their tactics involve coming together as a group in a single location when the SHTF, actually setting themselves up like tightly set bowling pins to be knocked down in one strike by "those trying to extinguish our freedom".

Although many of them seem well organized and trained, that 300 pound truck driver that dresses in camo and sneaks around in the woods on Saturdays will be of little consequence when the SHTF. Lets face the fact that these are not special forces units or a well equipped army. They will band together like some kind of "army" and be quickly overwhelmed and defeated. Probably one Apache helicopter can take out a whole militia compound. One must be realistic and consider that a militia group will not be effective against even a very small well equipped enemy. Most inner city street gangs are more organized, better equipped, and more effective "killers" than a common militia group.

Now, don't let that detract you from training and equipping yourself as part of the "greater militia". Take the family out to shoot often. Take firearm and tactics training with your wife and close friends. Small family or friend "units" blend into any environment undetected, can operate under the radar, and can employ more effective tactics than larger "militia groups". Remember you are preparing to SURVIVE and FIGHT, being part of an organized militia group may give you a temporary ability to fight - but not to survive a well equipped enemy.

Also, off the topic of some huge American meltdown, look at the real probability of economic collapse, riots, and natural disasters. Is the Michigan militia going to patrol the streets when looters come out? I don't think so - no one is immediately. But can a small unit of well equipped and trained friends, family, or neighbors secure a neighborhood? ABSOLUTELY!

I say equip yourself and your family, train as much as you can, and be a part of the "greater militia."

This is off topic but mention was made of an xbox game console. It addresses word association and public prejudice. My soon to be 14 year old son was playing his PlayStation 3 a couple of weeks ago and received a notice he was being suspended from playing online for (1) week. During online game play he was using the "chat"feature to communicate with the other players. Conversation drifted to a similar PC game my son has. He was explaining to another player the various powers and characters of the game. The phrases "black power" and "white power" were mentioned as that referred to specific different kinds of "powers" associated with the game. This flagged the Sony Playstation 3 offensive language software and his account was suspended without appeal.

His mother and I had to explain why he was suspended even though he did not do anything wrong. He had no idea that "white power" and "black power" had negative connotations attached to them. He kept saying getting suspended wasn't "fair". I said welcome to the real world! :D

Like the word "militia" has went from a good thing to where it now has negative connotations and preconceived notions attached to it.

Take it from a old dog, years ago a popular radio station talk show Ricky and Judd Ashmore, who had been on for years not radical, just good old boys into race cars, personal rights etc. They had a gentleman on from a group called The Texas militia that were promoting gun rights and the 2nd ammendent and encourged people of like mind to go to a meeting giving phone #s and so on. I called got directions left to go to the meeting and got lost and decided to go another time. Long story short several months later the ATF were raiding their so called compound and as might be expected. The ATF IIRC killed one and busted others for gun related charges.

STAY UNDER THE RADAR!