TAPCO Gas Piston Install?

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...il?sfs=e08ae75b

Didn't understand how it is listed all over as a 922 saiga 12 part

Preying on the ignorant is a millenia old sales technique.

In this case, with a potential federal felony as a result of said ignorance, it just ain't funny.

I use the manufacture product description when I list an item for sale. They have changed their description so it does not say 922 compliant now.

I was not Preying on the ignorant. I do not do business that way.

I have pulled them for my website. No reason to change this part if does not count.

Greg

I am hoping that you can she more light on this topic. I purchased a Tapco gas rod for my Saiga .308 rifle before I read this post. I went to the Tapco website and they still list this item as 922r compliant. It appears that they did not change their site afterall. In your opinion, is this item 92r or not? Thanks.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/se...il?sfs=e08ae75b

Didn't understand how it is listed all over as a 922 saiga 12 part

Preying on the ignorant is a millenia old sales technique.

In this case, with a potential federal felony as a result of said ignorance, it just ain't funny.

I use the manufacture product description when I list an item for sale. They have changed their description so it does not say 922 compliant now.

I was not Preying on the ignorant. I do not do business that way.

I have pulled them for my website. No reason to change this part if does not count.

Greg

I am hoping that you can she more light on this topic. I purchased a Tapco gas rod for my Saiga .308 rifle before I read this post. I went to the Tapco website and they still list this item as 922r compliant. It appears that they did not change their site afterall. In your opinion, is this item 92r or not? Thanks.

I'm afraid you've been misled somewhere. The preceding conversation was referring to the same part in the Saiga shotguns, which is not a 922r part.

It is a 922r part on all Saiga rifles.

I don't have any issues with making improvements to firearms.

Installing the Tapco thingy is not going to improve anything.

If you must continue, the same instructions for replacing the rifle pistons will work here.

Sometimes its not the gun that has to improve but the user. The more i change, the better i understand the weapon.

that being said I would still like to change out the "operating rod"

I called carolinashootersupply.com and was told that they have another guy who bought 3 of the tapco operating rods and all three of his warped. I called tapco and they said this was news to them. I am sending in my rod to tapco and they say they will send me a new one. I am stuck with tapco as my factory rod is mangled. However, I must say that prior to the warpoing, it did improve my gun. Hopefully the new rod will work fine.

Damn, the thread that would not die.....

I have not seen this Tapco part in person. Perhaps I'll see if DPH has them this weekend at the show. Has anyone measured the exact length of this part?

(which BTW is NOT an op rod, an op rod IS a 922 countable part...it's a bolt carrier extension if anything... the part isn't named in the Russian exploded drawings but the bolt carrier is referred to as the "bolt support")

If this part is "warping" or bending, and you claim it actually made your gun cycle better until it bent, my guess would be they made them a touch too long and they are getting hit too hard, making them eventually bend. As I said above, the one I replaced in my AKS-12, about 5 years ago, I had hand turned by a guy named Hotbarrel on another forum. It's high quality, marked USA, and is still working great. I have no regrets about replacing my original Russian part with that one. As many people as there are who don't know jack about the S-12, I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. There can be no issues about whether or not I replaced my "gas piston". I have it covered and then some.

To those who keep on bashing Tapco on here, ya might want to tone that down a bit. Ya know they do happen to be a sponsoring Vendor here too...

post-1293-12635810599071_thumb.jpg

I bought one back in March 09 and it is the exact same length, the trick is getting the tapco installed so the overall length of the bolt carrier is the same. The length measurement Greg from CSS sent me was 3.4" exposed. see photo That's my Tapco (bolt carrier extension) in the photo.

post-21372-1263582753109_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting that.

Well if it's not a length issue, then it must be a hardness problem. Come to think about it....I remember Tom Cole posting about bending one in his select fire 410 I believe it was...unless it was one of his FA 12s. I wonder if that was a Tapco too? I'll have to remember to ask him. He is a Tapco distributor...

Either way, the claims about it making the gun run better have to be just a coincidence. There's no way that could have such a positive effect on the gun's ability to cycle if it's just a copy of the original. If it's the same size and weight, it would have the same performance...that is, until it destroyed itself...:rolleyes:

Hey if you don't want to use it as a paperweight, maybe you could chop it off and have it welded on your bolt carrier for a Galil style charging handle...:smoke:

Thanks for posting that.

Well if it's not a length issue, then it must be a hardness problem. Come to think about it....I remember Tom Cole posting about bending one in his select fire 410 I believe it was...unless it was one of his FA 12s. I wonder if that was a Tapco too? I'll have to remember to ask him. He is a Tapco distributor...

Either way, the claims about it making the gun run better have to be just a coincidence. There's no way that could have such a positive effect on the gun's ability to cycle if it's just a copy of the original. If it's the same size and weight, it would have the same performance...that is, until it destroyed itself...:rolleyes:

Hey if you don't want to use it as a paperweight, maybe you could chop it off and have it welded on your bolt carrier for a Galil style charging handle...:smoke:

Tapco had a small batch that were not hardened and bent in the Saiga 12 rod only. The Saiga 12 rod was discontinued. They have never had any of the rifle ones have any problems and they still manufacture those.

• 2 years later...