New Saiga .308. Some thoughts:

So. . . I've had my saiga since the AG made his stupid announcement about the new AWB. I've been thinking about getting some sort of semi-auto centerfire plinker, and since I can't find the Saiga in 30-06, I thought I'd go with the next closest thing.

As I already have a super-accurate bolt action rifle (Rem 700 in aught six) I decided that the short barreled version was the better fit for my needs. This is it!

EBR1.jpg

I put a tapco t6 stock and pistol grip on it before I read about the trigger issues. :( The trigger is ok for me so far, but I'm thinking about ways to improve it. I've put 250 rounds through it with the configuration above, and I have to say the thing is a hoot to fire. But. . . AK iron sights suck, and I'm a scope-whore. So I added in an over-dustcover picitinny rail (the SGM tactical polymer rail)

Sadly I haven't gotten a chance to test how well it holds a zero on my new 4x16x scope. (Will update on monday!)

All right! Took it to the range sunday morning, and put another 106 rounds through it. (2x 20 round surefire mags, 3x "25" round mags loaded to 22 rounds.) The only issue is the 25 round mags not seating with 24+ rounds, and not allowing the charging handle to be drawn with 23+ Not one failure to fire. Not one failure to eject. Not one failure to load. It is denting up my brass pretty seriously, but since I'm using non-reloadable brass, this isn't an issue yet.

On the scope mount: I didn't have it quite tight enough to the stock, so there was enough wiggle to cause issues while I was sighting. I'm going to examine the problem and see if I can come up with a solution. If no, I'll just go with the standard sight-rail, heavier though it is.

All right! Took it to the range sunday morning, and put another 106 rounds through it. (2x 20 round surefire mags, 3x "25" round mags loaded to 22 rounds.) The only issue is the 25 round mags not seating with 24+ rounds, and not allowing the charging handle to be drawn with 23+ Not one failure to fire. Not one failure to eject. Not one failure to load. It is denting up my brass pretty seriously, but since I'm using non-reloadable brass, this isn't an issue yet.

On the scope mount: I didn't have it quite tight enough to the stock, so there was enough wiggle to cause issues while I was sighting. I'm going to examine the problem and see if I can come up with a solution. If no, I'll just go with the standard sight-rail, heavier though it is.

There is a thred in here on fileing the bolt on the bottom lug that should allow you to fill those 25's all the way up allso i have herd of putting a brass insert in the rear tang screw hole so you can get it tighter