CSSPECS STEEL S308 MAGAZINE!!!

I received my CSSPECS steel S308 mag in the mail today.Very carefully packaged and much heavier than I imagined and now I know why.These are SOLID BEEF.It locks solidly and reliably into the mag well with just a little play(no more than many 7.62AK mags) and seems very well constructed and get's rid of the "toylike" feel of the plastic magazine which was really annoying me about my S308.

I haven't been able to shoot it yet but hand cycling was reliable without hangup and it looks like we might be closing in on a real winner here!

I took some comparison pics with the FBMG mag to give everyone and idea.

Saiga308mags001.jpg

Saiga308mags008.jpg

Saiga308mags006.jpg

Saiga308mags005.jpg

Saiga308mags002.jpg

Since my new Ultimak hasn't shown up yet I might just have to change my T&E this weekend to focus on torture testing this magazine replete with a short video and then we will know if this works as good as it looks and feels.

These pics do not do this mag justice.The appearance of the pics make the sheet metal look much thinner than it really is.This is thicker material than an M14 magazine and double and triple layer in many critical locations.You'd have to handle one to know what I mean.

Got the same reaction as SOPMOD at first check out. :super: Over the next couple days will put 250 to 300rds through it. Using SA/Portugal/Britsh surplus, Brown/Silver bear, Wolf and New Winchester and Golden Wolf. Damn I hate working this hard. :lolol::lolol::smoke:

Do you have any more info on them? Let us know how your tests go.

Greg

They are just out of the prototype stage and have been sent out to various members for torture testing and fine tuning.I think he plans to make them in significant quantity in which case I will be buying at least 10 of them..

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=36718&st=0

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a couple questions about the strength of the spot welds used. So I went and grabbed one from my reject bin and did a little testing to see what it takes to break a weld. I think the pictures speak for themselves.

th_IMG_0712.jpg

th_IMG_0713.jpg

The magazine was stomped on from the sides and then struck several times on the face before one popped. Pretty much other then a freak accident the spot welds should be fine. I'm not going to say they are as tough as a AK magazine because those are insanely well made, but should be as strong as a AR at the very least.

It should be kind of apparent that a large dent in the corner will likely ruin the magazine, just like any other metal magazine. The steel used is fairly thick .030, the steel used in most of the AK magazines I own is .023 or .020. So should help a bit to keep the corners from denting.

Edited by csspecs

Yeah but the equipment is rather expensive to do that, probably in the 30k range. Probably a 10-18 month wait for press plates to stamp them, then a few for set up.

I was not trying to show anything other then the welds in the test, that they will hold until the magazine is ruined a couple times over.

I have a batch getting close to completion that has a few improvements in it, just a little adjustment here and there and a extra layer under the front tab. I'll post pictures when they are done.

Gonna be going home to Vermont in July hope you'll have these ready by then >_<. I'm very disappointed I couldn't test one of these due to my current predicament.

Current predicament??? Would that be OBAMASIAITIS????

Edited by Lumox