MD-20 Dummy Round?

Okay, this is my first post and its not the brightest question I have ever asked. I went to the range today with my first try with my new saiga. I bought the MD 20 drum and 3 Promag 10 round mags. I had to files some to make everything fit. Shooting Federal bonus pack 71/2 birdshot. The range was a disaster. Every round from the mags and drum failed to eject except the last. The last round in the Promags functioned perfectly, so I assume I have a mag problem. I had read about the promags needing a follower adjustment and mine did exactly like a follower sitting to high. Each casing being ejected is being wedged against the next round and then gets smashed by the bolt. I will have to do the trick on the Promags.

I am looking at the MD-20 instructions and it mentions the dummy round removal. Nowhere does it say to remove it or leave it in. I am assuming you remove it since its a dummy round. I am hoping this was my drum problem today because I left it in the drum. My question is. Do you remove the dummy round in the MD-20 drum for proper function?

Just noticed previous post duh!

Edited by thetoysurgeon

Agreed. You need the dummy round to feed the last shell to the top of the neck so it can then feed. Without the dummy round you will always have one live round sitting in the drum unable to get to the top of the next to be feed and chmabered.

• 2 months later...
Federal bonus pack 71/2 birdshot. The range was a disaster. Every round from the mags and drum failed to eject except the last.

That's interesting. I recently tried my drum for the first time, and my Saiga/drum functioned flawlessly with that same shell.

Is your saiga brand new? If it is, go shoot 100 rounds of the federal through it with the stock 5rnd mag. Most saiga's dont cycle perfect until they have 50-100 shells through it. They bearing surfaces need to break in. I have 6 of these guns and all of them had poor feeding when new, but once they were broke in they all work perfect. I would get your gun to work with the stock 5 rounder. like i said, just run a bunch through it. once that feeds correctly work on getting the 10 rounder to work, followed by the drum last. at least once you start to get the drum working, you will know the guns is good and not part of the trouble shooting equation.

CJG