Make your voice heard or loose your freedom

When gun control took a turn for the worst back in the 1990's all I did was follow the latest events and hope for the best. Enough of us did the same thing to get us the Brady Bill and the "Assault Weapons" ban.

Today, out on the PT pad, I asked my teammates if they have ever contacted their elected officials to convey their desires on the subject of gun control. None had, and I find this alarming considering all these guys talk about is guns and freedom.

If you have the time to read about gun legislation, you have the time to contact your elected officials. There are some in office you'll never sway, we know that. But, there are some out there riding the fence. What they need, and what we need to provide, is our feedback. Tell them you believe gun control is in fact an infringement on our unalienable rights.

The Congress.org website makes this SO easy. http://www.congress.org

Type in your zip code and it'll pull up your elected officials. Have a state issue you want to advise them on? Click "state". Federal? Click "federal".

On the next page you can choose who to contact, and you have options on sending an e-mail, or for a couple of bucks, you can even send a paper letter.

You don't have to type a book to be effective. The website even has a "meter" to tell you if your letter is too long to be effective. Fill in your personal information and save it for future use. Hit "send message" and it's done.

Guys, don't make the same mistake we did in the '90s. Write these people and be heard. Once you set this up it'll take literally a minute of your life to address any new legislation posted here or elsewhere. If we loose this time, we loose big.

Haha too long to be effective, as if they actually read them. We are writing them, but after getting canned responses and pre-typed template replies from staffers, wtf is the point really. It's great flooding their offices with calls and letters. Lot of good it's done so far on the bailouts.

Doesn't matter how much we bitch and complain, when they get a majority of their campaign funds from out of state corporate interests, democrat and republican alike, they don't care what the voters actually think. Republicans and Democrats both take money from the same people.

Edited by Wotan1105
Haha too long to be effective, as if they actually read them. We are writing them, but after getting canned responses and pre-typed template replies from staffers, wtf is the point really. It's great flooding their offices with calls and letters. Lot of good it's done so far on the bailouts.

Doesn't matter how much we bitch and complain, when they get a majority of their campaign funds from out of state corporate interests, democrat and republican alike, they don't care what the voters actually think. Republicans and Democrats both take money from the same people.

I get canned e-mail replied so most of my e-mails, but I have also gotten personal phone calls, so they do read some of them. Sitting back and watching it happen doesn't work. We tried that with the "assault weapon" ban, and look where it got us. We won't be so lucky this time.

I get canned e-mail replied so most of my e-mails, but I have also gotten personal phone calls, so they do read some of them. Sitting back and watching it happen doesn't work. We tried that with the "assault weapon" ban, and look where it got us. We won't be so lucky this time.

These pricks will try every front and back door move that they can come up with, all an effort ware us down. I do beleive that in the end THEIR majority will win. I'll fight the fuckers every step of the way :ph34r:

Edited by AA re-cvrd

Don't worry this board will be the first to know if I ever get a personal phone call or personally signed letter from a Congressman I just doubt it's going to happen. My Rep is a Republican and strongly for the 2nd Amendment. Eric Cantor is another good one from Virginia, just north of my district. My trouble spots are the Senators.

You could always fight fire with fire, Start with 1 letter and copy paste a couple dozen times. Trade canned for canned.

The thing is,if we keep getting the canned replies,we know they probably didn't read what we sent.

Come November when their time is up,hopefully we can can them back and hopefully get people with a little common sense back in their place.

I've gotten both canned responses and also direct responses,of course not too many of the latter but..

We do need to get more of our own involved with sending off letters and emails,they all have email links in their web pages,and hopefully if we can recruit some more of our shooting friends to write,they may just start to take note of what their constituency wants.

They want to keep their cushy jobs on the hill so when more voters speak up they will need to start to listen or face being voted out.

I'm sure somewhere in their offices they keep some sort of tally sheet to see what people are sending,but if theres not that many letters sent about any subject it won't get any face time and we won't be heard.

We can't sit back and be a silent majority and bitch to each other about the idiots on the hill,we all need to be a bit more proactive to get our points out there.

When they started going after our guns again more aggressive a few years ago I started contacting my rep and senators and its about all I can do but its still something.