Failing to cock

Hi all,

Here is a new problem I have not read about. Happened to me today.

I took my newly converted S12 out to the range today.

I have a tromix FCG, tromix trigger guard, enedine shot shock.

No BJ buffer installed. I was using 2 3/4" remington 00 buck and 1 ounce slugs.

5 round factory mag. First round fired and ejected and fed another round

into the chamber but heres the problem hammer did not cock. Setting on 1.

Took mag out ejected the loaded shell and reinserted mag. Chambered round and

same thing happened again. Tried setting 2 same thing. First round fired ejected fine

another round in the chamber but hammer did not cock and lock into position.

I could only fire 1 round at a time with manual cycling the bolt.

Any ideas as to what I can do? Did I get a bad FCG?

Beagle12

Axis pins and hammer spring in proper position? Don't think the gas setting matters as long as the gun is ejecting the shell. You might get an idea of what's happening with the hammer not resetting when the dust cover is off and observing while hand cycling the bolt carrier.

Additional info. My gun has 4 ports in barrel. The axis pins are in the same position

as when they came out. They are not loose in the holes at all. When I manually cycle

the bolt the hammer locks in position. Am I having a short recoil occur on the bolt?

Seems if I was getting short recoil then it would not strip another round from the

magazine which is happening just fine hammer will not cock and lock.

Beagle12

This happened to me last time i was out, i to have the tromix fcg. It only happened twice tho, out of 140 rnds, one while using wally world 2 3/4" #8, the other using #2 3" remington bird. It only happened when i was trying to bumpfire. I dnt know what it is either. I am pretty positive it has nothin to do with gas settings, on my three hole, because it does cycle just fine, "well it stove pipes on setting 1 with low brass as it always has, and should as i understand" just seems like fireing pin dnt strike or somethin, because the two that failed to fire i did rechamber and they shot fine. I did polish bolt, carrier, feed ramp, hammer, and trigger parts. So i have no clue either

You need to do a function check. Since you say when you manually cycle the bolt, it cocks the hammer, it has something to do with the disconnector.

Take the dust cover off. While looking down into the mechanism at the hammer, cycle the bolt. The hammer should be cocked. Pull the trigger and hold it. The hammer should fall. While holding the trigger, cycle the bolt again. Watch to see what the hammer does. If it's held, release the trigger. The hammer should come out from under the disconnector and be caught by the trigger hook.

Both legs of the hammer spring should be on both sides of the rear end of the trigger.

Of course, no ammo or even a magazine should be in the gun.

It is always possible that the rear ledge of the hammer, and/or the disconnector hook may have a rough spot on them, and not allow the trigger to reset. If this is the case, you can't tell when firing because when you manually cycle the bolt, the hammer is depressed, and will come out from under the disconnector.

Here is an update. I have taken the back cover off and cycled the bolt.

I found that the hammer was in the cocked position but the trigger failed to set back to normal.

It stayed in the most rearward position almost against the trigger guard of course making it

impossible to fire. any additional help will be appreciated.

beagle12

Here is an update. I have taken the back cover off and cycled the bolt.

I found that the hammer was in the cocked position but the trigger failed to set back to normal.

It stayed in the most rearward position almost against the trigger guard of course making it

impossible to fire. any additional help will be appreciated.

beagle12

Is your hammer spring in the correct way, or is it forcing the hammer into the cocked position instead of the striker position?

Trigger is not binding.

I have seen that one portion of the back part of the trigger is not releasing the hammer

like it should. I will take my dremel and polish a little and see if that will help. I will post pic

of what I did and let everyone know if that resets the trigger to firing position.

beagle12

Heres the Pic.

You might "tweak" the lower spring leg. My .223 had the same thing when I converted it. The way I confirmed this was to "push" the trigger foward to disengage the disconector and capture the hammer by the sear.

Had the same problem with my new , converted 12. Tweaked it as far as it would go and still could not get the trigger to "re-charge". Finally went here and resolved the issue. Carolinashooterssupply.com Item 25% Reduced Power Mainspring for All Saiga and AK variants. Have not had a problem since.

your Right side leg is out of position. It's getting caught under the disconector. Pull it up bend it out slightly and you will be good to go.

Look down the length of the spring leg and you should be able to see where it needs to be bent.

Edited by rockmup
your Right side leg is out of position. It's getting caught under the disconector. Pull it up bend it out slightly and you will be good to go.

Look down the length of the spring leg and you should be able to see where it needs to be bent.

This is your problem. I had the same problem when I did my conversion.

I encountered the exact same issue with my newly converted S-12. The disconnector would not release the hammer after cycling. The solution was clipping 2 coils off of the disconnector spring. The shotty function checks manually and and cycles perfectly under live fire.

My passenger side spring leg would work its way behind the trigger too. At the advice of Tony I grabbed that leg with some needle nose and gave it a hard clickwise twist followed by a outward bend. It hasn't happened since.

The 25% reduced recoil spring would likely fix this problem for you too though since you can more easily manipulate it to whatever position you desire.

I had the same thing happen to me this weekend (UNmodified S12)--I chalked it up to the cheap walmart ammo not cycling it all the way too. Guess maybe I need to rethink that from the sound of things. I'll be glad when I get all the bugs worked out of it. Every trip out, seems like I find something else that needs "tweaked". Time before this, it was the hammer getting stuck on a small ridge on the trigger. A little bit of filing took care of that though. My main goal is to get it to a reliability point for self defense--and it ain't there yet. :unsure: