My Saiga-12 is my first shotgun, and who knows when I'll get to shoot it. I've extensive experience with tactical/assault rifles, and want my Saiga to be along those lines. 1st question: 922 compliance aside, what parts, if any, MUST be replaced for the pistol grip conversion? I'm pretty capable of making most of wht I might need. Second: is there a barrel length required for skeet/trap shooting? 3rd: can you have a barrel that accepts chokes AND a brake? 4th: what is the simplest and least modifying sight rail available? I'm sure I have more. Thanks.

First, the grip changes depend on if you relocate the trigger. Second, I am not sure about skeet length. Third, Tromix used to thread the barrel internally for remchokes so both a choke and brake could be had. I don't have a sugestion on a rail.

Chaos makes a very good rail. Halo is the holy grail if you can find one.

Halo? More info, please. Also, do I have to have a stock? Thos H&K rear sights I've seen: are they mounted to the dust cover? Is that reliable?

Best of luck finding a Halo. They went out of production a while ago and anybody who's lucky enough to have one would be hard pressed to give it up for less than a few hundred dollars. Do you have to have a stock? You don't have to. I suppose you really don't have to have a firing pin, either.

Halo? More info, please. Also, do I have to have a stock? Thos H&K rear sights I've seen: are they mounted to the dust cover? Is that reliable?

If you go through the older pics on the picture post in the S-12 section you can see some people with halo quads. it is debatable as to if they were the "holy grail" also. I have heard reports that they were heavy, and the way they came back around the action hurt ergonomics. But i've never owned one, so take my word for what it is.

have to have a stock? I would say you would want a stock. I'm not positive on legalities, but alliance armament has some videos of someone using on without a stock and it looks terribly akward and unwieldly.

Also- Avoid alliance armament.

There are things that can be dome to make the H&K sights MORE reliable, but dust cover mounted sights have some problems to overcome. If your interested in something like this TROMIX makes a dust cover with the rear sight already mounted and a rail.

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/index.p...fdcfce29ec2c82a

Also at the top of thier site they show 2 saigas with halo quad rails.

"There are things that can be dome to make the H&K sights MORE reliable, but dust cover mounted sights have some problems to overcome."

I am also interested in the reliability of the rear dust cover mounted sights. What things can be done to make them MORE reliable. Sorry didn't intend to steal the thread :unsure:

"There are things that can be dome to make the H&K sights MORE reliable, but dust cover mounted sights have some problems to overcome."

I am also interested in the reliability of the rear dust cover mounted sights. What things can be done to make them MORE reliable. Sorry didn't intend to steal the thread :unsure:

Some people have put harder bend in the front of the cover, or added material to make it a tighter pinch fit. You can also add some allans to hold it in place but lose ease of removal. I can't remember who it was but someone had a mod to make the back cover flip up, i would think that would be the closest thing you can get for best of both worlds...

if your interested in doing a hinged dust cover, talk to paladin(i don't know how much work is involved especialy on a shotgun)

Edited by Nailbomb

If Halo were truly the holy grail of rails (haha), they would probably still make it. The Chaos rail is made in the USA, by a very well respected member of our community.

The question is do you really need a quad- or tri-rail, how many accessories do you need to put on a shotgun?

I have a single top rail made by Ultimak on mine, and that's it. I may put a very small weaver rail on the hand guard, but probably not. I know a guy who has a green laser and a shitty reflex sight on his, I said, it's a shotgun why the fuck do you need a laser on it, crap why do you need two lasers?!?

Just don't go this far...

post-7166-1239985137_thumb.jpg

Edited by vbrtrmn

Hey I like the laser on mine. Laser/flashlight mounted on the Izhmash picatinny handguard. Turn the laser on and fold the stock and it's the ultimate hallway peruser. I've got the HK sights but the rear is where the old rear was. Had the option mount on receiver cover but opted for sturdier mount location. Heard they're great for clays but haven't tried yet. I don't see a need for anything other than a single rail (for flashlight or flashlight/laser Streamlight TLR-2 as is the case on mine) on one of these 12's cause as we all are aware, it is a shotgun.

• 2 weeks later...
More Q's: what's all the noise about an AK gas piston? How is any better or different than whatever the S-12 has? How hard is the bracket to install for AK forearm stuff? How is a pressed-in front sigt post best removed? Thanks, all.

I don't know what you are talking about when you mention "AK Piston". There are several aftermarket gas pistons for the S12 that are U.S. made and count against your 922R restricted parts count. The Kings Armory piston is dished and supposedly assists in cycling a broader range of ammo.

The forearm bracket is easy to install. 1 screw through the existing threaded hole, and it clamps into the forearm. Both of the forearms I've installed were rattly so I took a little bit of steel strap, cut it and stuck it into the receiver to pinch on the forearm tab and tighten it up.

For the sight post are you talking about the factory bead? Are you wanting to replace it with a hi-vis, or are you putting an AK/AR type sight on the end of the barrel and you want the bead out of the way? I put the krebs sights on the gun in my avatar and filed the bead down.

If Halo were truly the holy grail of rails (haha), they would probably still make it. The Chaos rail is made in the USA, by a very well respected member of our community.

The question is do you really need a quad- or tri-rail, how many accessories do you need to put on a shotgun?

I have a single top rail made by Ultimak on mine, and that's it. I may put a very small weaver rail on the hand guard, but probably not. I know a guy who has a green laser and a shitty reflex sight on his, I said, it's a shotgun why the fuck do you need a laser on it, crap why do you need two lasers?!?

Just don't go this far...

post-7166-1239985137_thumb.jpg

Haha. Or this. :P

post-16572-1241442854_thumb.jpg

FWIW.... I sold my Halo to pay for my Chaos....

The Halo was nice... but heavy as hell.... Chaos is all the rail at about half the weight.....

In my opinion its always good to have the option of being able to put on accessories should the situation arise. It also depends on what you're going to be using the gun for.

My Saiga 12 will be used for home defense and fun at the range. I have a Kross tri rail on pre order and plan on attaching a flashlight to one side and a laser to the other for home defense. Part of being a responsible home owner means knowing what I'm pointing my gun at in a defense situation. The flashlight will be to illuminate and temporarily blind my target. The laser will be in case I need to keep my aim on target while pulling my heard from the sights in order to scan for other intruders. :killer:

Plus the tri rail just look cool as hell.

Edited by ShotgunSavvy