Thread protector or choke tube?

A few weeks ago, I bought a new Saiga 12. Someone here told me that part that screws onto the end of the barrel is actually a thread protector (I had thought that it was a choke tube). I was just looking at the exploded parts diagram at the back of the manual (it is listed as part # 11), and it says that it is indeed a choke tube.

So what is the identity of the part that comes with the gun that threads onto the end of the barrel? I can post a photo if necessary.

Edited by Matt78
If the part extends in front of the barrel, it is a choke. If the part is threaded the entire internal length, then it is a thread protector.

Yeah - what he said - here are some pics.

thread protector: http://www.saigastock.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=139

choke set: http://www.saigastock.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=136

So why do the three exploded parts diagrams near the back of the user's manual refer to the piece as a choke tube?

It seems that my part is actually a thread protector. Is there any harm in firing either slugs or shot (or any other load for that matter, such as flechettes) from my barrel with the thread protector screwed on?

Edited by Matt78

I am a strong believer in the KISS principle. I would love to be able to accurately shoot both slugs and 00 buckshot (not necessarily combined together in one mag, but perhaps a mag of all buckshot and a mag of all slugs, for instance) for home defense purposes, with only a small adjustment required to switch from one to the other. For the distances involved with home defense (e.g., no more than 10 yards or so), is a choke necessary for 00 buckshot? If so, then I would like to get this, because I can screw it on and simply adjust it for either buckshot or slugs:

https://www.gilbertsguns.com/Shotguns/Saiga...+Choke+II\

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Matt78

003621.medium.jpg

This is what it looks like.

"New Russian Saiga 12 Gauge Poly Choke II, Choke Tube. This adjustable choke tubes allows the user the versatility of multiple choke tube all in one easily abjustable tube.

Settings for Slug, Imp Cyl, Mod, Imp Mod, Full, X Full, constrictions"

So I'm assuming that all that I'd need to do would be to slide something if, say, I just finished a mag of buckshot and want to switch to a mag of slugs.