Break Cleaner for Saiga Cleaning BAD IDEA!!!

I use brake cleaner to blast out the crud from inside the receiver. Never had much issue with the paint, but when I need to do a touch up, I have a can of textured finish black spray paint out in the garage. Past that, I really don't give the finish of my Saigas any thought.

ETA what would be a good degreaser for prepping a Saiga for alumahyde or similar??

All I can say to you is when you degrease before Aluma-Hyde, after drying, heat the gun up and dry it out for several days, if not a week. There is oil and the brake cleaner residue itself that will hide underneath the FSB and gas blocks, in between the trunion and the receiver, under the rivet heads, etc. that will seep out and ruin your aluma-hyde finish while it is curing.

Standard cleaning procedure at the shop I frequent: liberally spray all areas with WD40--it will not harm any finish to the metal or furniture; then blow off all the WD with air and wipe off residue. Lubricate the appropriate areas with CLP. Leave it at that. It has never failed.

+1

Standard cleaning procedure at the shop I frequent: liberally spray all areas with WD40--it will not harm any finish to the metal or furniture; then blow off all the WD with air and wipe off residue. Lubricate the appropriate areas with CLP. Leave it at that. It has never failed.

+1

The only adverse effects WD-40 (Water-Displacement-formula-40) is known to have on firearms, is it's been known to condition the metal to not accept bluing as well as it would have before prolonged usage.

WD-40 is known to offer some of the best rust protection out there, even better than other products costing 5x as much.

As for break cleaner, I use it to prep before paint, being as it's designed to dissolve oil.

Hidden oil will wick into new paint & make it chip off where ever it seeped into the paint.

Keep that part in mind if you have any polymer on a gun.

ALL polymer is manufactured from the petroleum molecule, thus break cleaner will dissolve polymer furniture also.

All you WD 40 guys, be careful not to let it get on your ammo. It deactivates primers. Keep your ammo away from the area while you are working. don't use it to lube the inside of mags, clean off your bolt face, and let everything dry before reloading.

also, as stated before, but bears repeating, brake cleaner comes in chlorinated and unchlorinated. DO NOT USE CHLORINATED for any guns, painted or not, plastic or wood.