my surefire broke

Well i finally antied up and purchased a surefire 12 round mag. It was one of the newer "competition" clear magazines and i loaded it up with federal universal, and with the first shot it fell to the ground and i noticed that the front mag lip broke off.

I sent an email to surefire and they said something along the lines of "this is a first with our mags"... but any way they said in order to receive a refund i have to send it back to the origional seller..which was carolina shooters supply. but when i checked their policy's it said they charge a 20% restocking fee, is it worth paying to send it back plus paying the 20% or should i just get a replacement from surefire?

Well i finally antied up and purchased a surefire 12 round mag. It was one of the newer "competition" clear magazines and i loaded it up with federal universal, and with the first shot it fell to the ground and i noticed that the front mag lip broke off.

I sent an email to surefire and they said something along the lines of "this is a first with our mags"... but any way they said in order to receive a refund i have to send it back to the origional seller..which was carolina shooters supply. but when i checked their policy's it said they charge a 20% restocking fee, is it worth paying to send it back plus paying the 20% or should i just get a replacement from surefire?

Talk to Greg or shoot them an email, CSS is a great vendor should at least give him a chance to make it right. Got 2 of these special clear mags as well, haven't shot with them yet but look solid.

You have not contacted me about this, just posted it here.

Greg

sorry i wasnt so much asking for a refund through the forum i was just trying to get the take from other members. Basically i wanted to know whether it was worth replacing, or if i should just get a refund, i worded it wrong in the origional post. I, in no doubt appriciate your business, i was just trying to receive a general consensis before i tell surefire that i want a replacement before getting invovled with sending it back for a money return... if that makes sence (sorry im now going on 33 hours without sleep, school and work).

...leap first...then look... :rolleyes:

Surprising, from what I've heard the polycarbonate is some pretty strong stuff. Must have been a defective mag to break with low brass. Just out of curiosity, how tight was was it fitting in the gun?

it locked in pretty darn tight, no movement what so ever... i was actually very pleased with the overall fit and finish. When surefire emailed me back they asked how many gas ports i had, and on what gas setting i had it on, do s12's with different specs yield different results with the surefires?

Probably depends on the type and quantity of vodka consumed on day of manufacture.

Sounds to me like the mag was a little too tight. If they have zero room for movement, there's nowhere for the initial shockwave to go but be driven straight through that front mag catch. Imagine tightening the mag in a vice and driving a sharp cold chisel up under the front catch with a hammer. Without full steel reinforcement that's not a good idea. They need just a little "wiggle room" in there...

Thankfully I'll be de-lugging all my surefires anyway. YAY Beer!... I mean, YAY magwell!

I have stated this before. I am interested in findig out the cause of these mags failures. It has to be more to it than weak plastics. These mags clear or not are extremely strong. I know that the tolerances are loose with the saigas. I wounder if mags are more prone to brake in some saigas than others. I have fired 3in OOO buck shells from my 12rds mags with no problem. I wounder if the bolt heads are contacting the backs of these mags. If so, a small contact during dry use would be even worse with the recoil of live fire. If that bolt contacts the back of the mags, I could see it pushing it forward and braking the front lip off. I had to file down the back of some of my promags to prevent this failure from happening to them. This is just a theory, but if true it is definatly preventable with future mags. Any thoughts?

Edited by Patriot12

I have had two 12 rounders break on me, both in the same exact spot you are speaking of. I took the first one back to where I bought it and he said that it was news to him, the second time it happened I went back again and that time he had had half a dozen or so people that had brought back there mags because of the same thing. I have yet to send back any of the mags to surefire I was getting a consensus first. You would think that for how much money these mags are they would be steel reinforced like say the stock mag that comes with it, or the MD drum mag. Have you guys seen the thread on here of the Xrayed mags look at the stock 5 rounder I'll bet that if the 12 rounder surefires had that kind of steel reinforcement we wouldn't be having this problem!!!!

Have you guys seen the thread on here of the Xrayed mags look at the stock 5 rounder I'll bet that if the 12 rounder surefires had that kind of steel reinforcement we wouldn't be having this problem!!!!

When you make a mag with a steel lip, we'll be happy to buy it. The FACT is that the surefire mags have a 5 year warranty and when you buy them from CSS, Greg will be more than happy to communicate with you via email.

If you're not going to do anything about it, quit fucking bitching!

Edited by vbrtrmn
I have had two 12 rounders break on me, both in the same exact spot you are speaking of. I took the first one back to where I bought it and he said that it was news to him, the second time it happened I went back again and that time he had had half a dozen or so people that had brought back there mags because of the same thing. I have yet to send back any of the mags to surefire I was getting a consensus first. You would think that for how much money these mags are they would be steel reinforced like say the stock mag that comes with it, or the MD drum mag. Have you guys seen the thread on here of the Xrayed mags look at the stock 5 rounder I'll bet that if the 12 rounder surefires had that kind of steel reinforcement we wouldn't be having this problem!!!!

That strengthens my theory that some saigas are more prone to breaking surefire mags than others. I shot 10x 12rd mags with none breaking and I know many other that have as well. On the other hand I have heard some, including you, that they have been breaking 12rd surefires one after the other all at the front lip. There has to be a reason for this.

That strengthens my theory that some saigas are more prone to breaking surefire mags than others. I shot 10x 12rd mags with none breaking and I know many other that have as well. On the other hand I have heard some, including you, that they have been breaking 12rd surefires one after the other all at the front lip. There has to be a reason for this.

Did you not read my post above? Or do you just not believe me?

I do believe you and fully read your post. I think you are misunderstanding what I am trying to say.

You would think that for how much money these mags are they would be steel reinforced like say the stock mag that comes with it, or the MD drum mag. Have you guys seen the thread on here of the Xrayed mags look at the stock 5 rounder I'll bet that if the 12 rounder surefires had that kind of steel reinforcement we wouldn't be having this problem!!!!

Trying not to sound like an ass about this but how much did you pay for your mags? Originally the was 2, 5 and 8 round mags. I have no idea if 2rnd mags are metal reinforced like the 5rnd mags. All of these mags though are from the factory in Russia. These mags are expensive compared to the capacity that you can get from the aftermarket USA mags. Russian 5rnd mags are about $40 now, if you can find an 8rnder they can command $150+. That price is due to the rareity and the quality of the mag. In this case there is only one aftermarket mag that has the metal reinforcement the MD-20 and it costs substantially more than the stick mags.

I've fired thousands of rounds through my AGPs w/o a metal reinforcement in the front end. I personally cannot attest to the difference in quality between the AGPs and the Surefires so its not fair for me to judge the Surefire mags. I do know this much I don't abuse them as much as I do m Russian mags.

Trying not to sound like an ass about this but how much did you pay for your mags?

You don't sound like an ass, many noobies just like bitching in open forums. They apparently don't give a fuck or are too lazy to figure out that when they bitch about products from people who actually support the community they are doing nothing, but making themselves look like assholes.

I'm with Cobra (for once), trolls, go the fuck away, we're sick of your bitching. If you have a problem with a product, take it up with whoever you bought it from; guess what, if you bought it from someone who supports the community, you'll get great fucking service. If you come here to bitch and slander them, fuck off.

OKay let me say this again, im not bitching about CSS's service i actually really like their service(fast shipping, emails on shipping dates, and overall packaging of the product). in actuality i was just wondering if these mags are so prone in breaking should i bother getting a replacement from surefire or should i just get my money back from CSS and buy a different mag?

And vbrtrmn im not a noob or a troll, hell as far as i can tell ive been a member here for 6 more days that you have, just because my post count is lower than yours doesnt mean shit, chill out man

Edited by arfreak

I am with Cobra on this. It seems that that guns that have zero movement in the mags locked up may be the ones breaking them. The stock test gun I used to test the clear mags with allowed it to lock in with no fitting needed and still had some very minor movement with the mag and took 400 rounds of all the heavy 3" magnum shells on Gas setting #1 without a scratch.

Some of the black mags that have broke (AGP and Surefire) were using heavy 3" magnum loads on gas setting #2 which also may break a mag. I always ask anyone that has broke one which gas setting it was on and most of the people do not know that there is an adjustable gas setting or they tell me it was on #2 for the heavy stuff just like their local gunshop had explained it to them.

Greg

I am with Cobra on this. It seems that that guns that have zero movement in the mags locked up may be the ones breaking them. The stock test gun I used to test the clear mags with allowed it to lock in with no fitting needed and still had some very minor movement with the mag and took 400 rounds of all the heavy 3" magnum shells on Gas setting #1 without a scratch.

Some of the black mags that have broke (AGP and Surefire) were using heavy 3" magnum loads on gas setting #2 which also may break a mag. I always ask anyone that has broke one which gas setting it was on and most of the people do not know that there is an adjustable gas setting or they tell me it was on #2 for the heavy stuff just like their local gunshop had explained it to them.

Greg

Greg. Excellent point about the gas setting, I never thought of that. I am more convinced now than ever that there is an element is some saigas that make some more likely than others to break certain mags. I still wounder if the bolt head is comming into contact with the back of the mag. I had to file down a promag to keep this from happening to one of those. I really believe that there is nothing wrong with any of these mags, fitting and proper gas setting might be all that is needed. Once we can isolate the cause it will be easy to fix and prevent future mag failures.

Trying not to sound like an ass about this but how much did you pay for your mags?

You don't sound like an ass, many noobies just like bitching in open forums. They apparently don't give a fuck or are too lazy to figure out that when they bitch about products from people who actually support the community they are doing nothing, but making themselves look like assholes.

I'm with Cobra (for once), trolls, go the fuck away, we're sick of your bitching. If you have a problem with a product, take it up with whoever you bought it from; guess what, if you bought it from someone who supports the community, you'll get great fucking service. If you come here to bitch and slander them, fuck off.

Ok buddy just relax I'm not Bitching about or slandering any "supporter of the community" I was just looking for input from other peoples experiences, I didn't buy my mags from CCS But, I did buy all my conversion parts from them and I have nothing bad to say about them, there service was excellent! People on here are just saying that there is a problem with the mag and other people are throwing out there ideas.( like Cobra, I agree with him, when I go out to shoot again I'm going to check that out and see how tight the mag is in the well) I will take it up with surefire but, dude you need to chill out. :blink:

And Scoutjoe, I paid about 55.00 each.

Edited by 775Patriot

Greg

Greg. Excellent point about the gas setting, I never thought of that. I am more convinced now than ever that there is an element is some saigas that make some more likely than others to break certain mags. I still wounder if the bolt head is comming into contact with the back of the mag. I had to file down a promag to keep this from happening to one of those. I really believe that there is nothing wrong with any of these mags, fitting and proper gas setting might be all that is needed. Once we can isolate the cause it will be easy to fix and prevent future mag failures.

I did some testing on my own recently and used a stock gun on setting #2 (the wrong setting) with 3" magnum 00 Buck with a Surefire black and an AGP black and broke both the same way(front catch) within 20 shots. I could not find any marks from the bolt on mine hitting the top. That does not mean that it is not happening on other guns where they broke on the first or second shot, but I have no proof of it. There is a huge variance from gun to gun.

Greg

WTF's that sposed to mean? ..."for once"....I guess you must be one of those on here that thinks I'm wrong all the time. Well good then, keep right on disagreeing.... :haha::rolleyes:

Don't drag me into this shit. I didn't call anyone in this thread a troll. By the true definition of the word, it's actually you who are trolling this time. Like was said already, chill the hell out.

Aside from the OP coming here to bitch about breaking his mag, before taking it up with Greg who would have been glad to help him, I don't see anything wrong with checking around for opinions on why it happened. IMO Surefire and AGP both, should include fitting instructions with every one of their mags, the same way Izhmash does with every mag sold separately from S-12s. (at least they used to)

It's widely known that there is a lot of variation in different parts of the S-12. The mag well is one of these big differences. I've seen many of them that you could not lock a brand new AGP or factory mag in there, even though you could lock that same mag in an S-12 right beside it. Sometimes the square metal feed lips of the AGP will not clear the two rounded corners at the rear of the well and those corners (on the receiver, not the feed lips) either need to be opened a little, or a little plastic needs filed away from under the front lug of the mag. At the factory, when they put the 5rd mag in the box with the shotty, first they test fit it, and hand file it if it needs to be fitted. You will notice these mags by the penciled number on the side which matches the serial number of that particular gun. If your gun came with one of these fitted mags, it will more than likely have to have all new mags you buy for it fitted the same way. It means the opening is too small in the receiver, or the mag catch is too long, or both.

When you cram a brand new mag in there, and it fits so tight it barely locks in, then has no movement what so ever...that mag already has the sharp edge of the front of the magwell, pushing hard and digging into the 'plastic' under the front lug. It doesn't take a lot to crack that mother right off if this is the case....especially if it's a large capacity mag with a full load (which puts even more force on that one spot)...and even more so if you don't have the gun on the correct gas setting. They do need to be able to move slightly to absorb the shock, especially with magnum loads.

Greg

I did some testing on my own recently and used a stock gun on setting #2 (the wrong setting) with 3" magnum 00 Buck with a Surefire black and an AGP black and broke both the same way(front catch) within 20 shots. I could not find any marks from the bolt on mine hitting the top. That does not mean that it is not happening on other guns where they broke on the first or second shot, but I have no proof of it. There is a huge variance from gun to gun.

Greg

I think we are starting to get to the bottom of it. The issue might be an incorrect gas setting and not a material failure of the mag itself.

Most of us do understand that newbs are going to just jump in and ask questions.

Sometimes it helps if they would do a search first.

I know you don't think of it sometimes, but try to look at it from the point of view of the old pro builders here who have seen these exact same threads pop up every couple of weeks.

They get a bit "surly".....................

Ok I've read this thread over twice and don't see where arfreak ever said anything that warranted being cussed at. He asked an opinion of the members here if they thought it would be worth the restocking fee to return the mag. He never said a thing derogatory toward CSS, actually quite the contrary, He had nothing but praise. It turned into a bash fest because he is a new guy. Just remember that everyone here was a new guy at one time and probably asked similar type questions.

Arfreak, due to the fact that the mag broke(for whatever reason) and surefire stated that you must return the mag to where you bought it to get a replacement, I doubt there will be a restocking fee because the mag is broke.

With that said, most dealers require the customer deal directly with the manufacturer on waranty issues and not the other way around. That is kind of odd.

Just because a manufacturer make something for our hobby doesn't mean that we should blindly stand behind their products no matter what issues arrise. You can't fix what you don't know is broke. This is not a new issue, as I have read several threads about mags breaking, and not only surefires.

It might be a good move if they put the metal reinforcement in the front and back. Most do not realise though how big of a change to the mold this would be.

A typical injection mold cost upwards of $15 thousand each. Start adding complex operations like inserting parts, and the price goes up exponentially. How many mags would it take to pay for a mold? A crap load just to pay for the initial cost of the mold. THis is most likely why the manufacturers are not quick to change their initial designs.

AGP came out with a Gen 2, that corrected issues with their initial run, I am sure that Surefire and ProMag will follow suit.

Arfreak, welcome to the Saiga-12 forum, I hope you come back often and utilize the wealth of info found in these pages.

Take opinions with a grain of salt, as that is what they are. Opinions. Some right, some not so right. Wade through them and figure out what is right for your particular application and run with it.

I recently purchased a surefire 12 round mag and had the same thing happen.

I sent it back to surefire and within 7 days I had a new one at my front door. The first thing I noticed was that they changed the profile of the front lug, it now looks more like the 5 round factory mag. Its actually a little thinner and is tappered toward the front. I have put over 200 rnds through it without a problem.

I recently purchased a surefire 12 round mag and had the same thing happen.

I sent it back to surefire and within 7 days I had a new one at my front door. The first thing I noticed was that they changed the profile of the front lug, it now looks more like the 5 round factory mag. Its actually a little thinner and is tappered toward the front. I have put over 200 rnds through it without a problem.

Now that is a good piece of info to have!

Anybody else notice any "changes" in the Surefire mags??