I found a nice pair of matched Bushy lowers (stripped). By "matched" I mean consecutive serial numbers...

I'm looking to build my first ARs here so it would be nice to get one of those all inclusive kits like I've seen for sale at CTD and Del-Ton. Or would I be better off looking for deals buying it piece by piece? Are the DPMS kits good quality? Is it really worth paying more for a chrome lined barrel? Is the trigger easy to smooth up like an AK, or should I spens a little bit more on that part? (or would the trigger be just fine in one of the upper / barrel kits?)

I found a nice pair of matched Bushy lowers (stripped). By "matched" I mean consecutive serial numbers...

I'm looking to build my first ARs here so it would be nice to get one of those all inclusive kits like I've seen for sale at CTD and Del-Ton. Or would I be better off looking for deals buying it piece by piece? Are the DPMS kits good quality? Is it really worth paying more for a chrome lined barrel? Is the trigger easy to smooth up like an AK, or should I spens a little bit more on that part? (or would the trigger be just fine in one of the upper / barrel kits?)

just my opinion

spring for the chrome barrel, thats worth it.

the trigger should be fine. No offense made by this but you've dealt with a LOT worse triggers if you've been shooting AKs and SKSs.(not that they can't be improved, i'm amazed at my S-12 now)

can't speak for the DPMS kits

as far as getting one cheap, shotgun news really has some of the lowest prices i've seen.

Yah, definitely go chrome lined. Unless you are particularly against the idea, get a heavyweight/MG barrel for anything 14" or under, bull for above. Trigger quality isn't all too important for short barrels, since you aren't going for match quality anyway. You can always swap out parts of the FCG later.

As for vendors/manufacturers, I'm a huge fan of Doublestar as far as the price/quality is concerned. Check out J&T Distributing or Model 1 Sales for nice pricing on full kits.

DPMS is pretty good. I have one of their complete rifles and a complete lower and can't find any fault with them. They work. Good luck finding any major AR parts these days, DPMS has a 9 to 24 MONTH wait for complete rifles and, to quote their customer service, "if we had any parts we would use them to build rifles" If you do get anything for accuracy work, spring for the National Match trigger, you won't be disappointed.

UPDATE per the DPMS website, 8 to 12 MONTHS for complete uppers. No dates on rifle "kits".

Edited by Havoc308