Saiga-12 Modifications

Just ordered a Saiga 12 (stock model) and am interested in modifying the gun with pistol grip, new stock, etc...much of which it looks like Tromix does. Doing a little research here and it looks like Tromix is not taking any orders until January 2011??? WTF??? I wish I had a market cornered like that to where I could turn away customers for a couple of years....

Anyway, are there alternatives to Tromix for the conversions??? Any help here would be much appreciated.

Just ordered a Saiga 12 (stock model) and am interested in modifying the gun with pistol grip, new stock, etc...much of which it looks like Tromix does. Doing a little research here and it looks like Tromix is not taking any orders until January 2011??? WTF??? I wish I had a market cornered like that to where I could turn away customers for a couple of years....

Anyway, are there alternatives to Tromix for the conversions??? Any help here would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. The Saiga 12 is a great shotgun and this forum is by far the best place on the web to get Saiga 12 information. As for the Tromix waitlist, first of all over at Tromix there is just one gunsmith to take care of all the orders, so when they get a lot of orders in their only choice is to stop taking orders until they work through their backlog, just like any other place else would. Second, while Tromix is the industry leader in aftermarket work on the Saiga 12, given the Saiga 12's popularity it shouldn't surprise you to learn that their are quite a few other shops that also do good work on the Saiga 12, and I am sure one of them could help you out. Just go to the 'For Sale and Trade' section on this forum and check out each business member's section to find the ones that do gunsmithing work on the Saiga 12, and send them a PM. Third, if all you want to do is move the trigger group forward and install a pistol grip and new buttstock, have you thought about just doing the work yourself? Its a pretty straightforward process and there are several good tutorials on this site you can reference for instruction.

Edited by Frogfoot

I agree with above. Field strip the gun, grease up the important parts, then put 200 rounds through it minimum. Then look into converting it.

Cadiz, Redstick, Firearm Sales Co all can do a conversion for you.

There is also a great how-to video if you think you would want to try it yourself.

Do it yourself. It's pretty easy using simple tools. I did my own, but contracted out to get the extra holes welded shut and refinished. There are options out there you can use though that eliminate the need for the welding and most of the refinish. It's pretty quick, easy and painless.

DSC00726.jpg

DSC00724.jpg

DSC00730.jpg

I agree with above. Field strip the gun, grease up the important parts, then put 200 rounds through it minimum. Then look into converting it.

Just got mine yesterday, what sort of ammo would you recommend to "break-in" the S12? Also, Do I start with gas valve setting on 1 or 2? The manual that came with is not really helpful :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Just got mine yesterday, what sort of ammo would you recommend to "break-in" the S12? Also, Do I start with gas valve setting on 1 or 2? The manual that came with is not really helpful :unsure:

Thanks in advance.

Always try a few shots on setting 1 (the heavy setting). The idea is to figure out what the gun wants, but not by over gassing it. Error on the side of caution until you are familiar with it.

Start off with some 7-1/2 federal or remington bird shot. Then throw some buck shot through it. Chances are you are going to need setting 2 for the bird shot and setting 1 will work with the buck shot.

Thanks in advance.

Always try a few shots on setting 1 (the heavy setting). The idea is to figure out what the gun wants, but not by over gassing it. Error on the side of caution until you are familiar with it.

Start off with some 7-1/2 federal or remington bird shot. Then throw some buck shot through it. Chances are you are going to need setting 2 for the bird shot and setting 1 will work with the buck shot.