Can I cut my own S12 barrel shorter than 18"....

You can do anything you want. You're just not supposed to have an 18" shot gun, unless you do the Form 1 paperwork and pay the tax, so if you cut your barrel, while it is still attached to the receiver, you'd be breaking the law.

To stay legal, you should press the pin and pull the barrel out, then cut it, then put it back together.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showto...amp;mode=linear

You can do anything you want. You're just not supposed to have an 18" shot gun, unless you do the Form 1 paperwork and pay the tax, so if you cut your barrel, while it is still attached to the receiver, you'd be breaking the law.

To stay legal, you should press the pin and pull the barrel out, then cut it, then put it back together.

at least say you did if asked.

Let us know what you eventually end up doing.

No, better yet, DON'T tell us what you end up doing. Public admission of guilt = BAD. If the ATF wanted to, they could use it as grounds to track you down via your IP, put you on trial, and send you up river. Would they? Probably not. They've got bigger fish to fry than someone who had an illegal configuration for 30 minutes while he was working on it in his shop. But if they wanted to, it'd be an open and shut case and you'd be convicted by your own words. Don't tell us what you do. Just show us the finished product.

Edited by Mike the Wolf
  • Like 1

Submitting a Form 1 is a piece of cake. If you want a SBS, then build yourself an SBS for the sake of $200 and an evenings time.

I suggest you go to www.silencertalk.com. Its a good group over there. Friendlier than AR15. There is a TON of stuff on doing the forms. I'd also be happy to help.

If this is a one-off, then submit as an individual. This requires fingerprinting and the signoff of your town's chief law enforcement officer. If you think you may have a developing addiciton to SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, machine guns, etc. Then you should set up a trust.

Once you set up a trust, you can go to easily build or transfer NFA weapons, while legally avoiding the hassle of fingerprinting and CLEO signoff. Setting up a trust was so easy that I kept thinking that something was not right. This is too easy. (It can be done with Quicken Willmaker)

Hope this helps.

Don

Edited by dcmdon
  • 4 months later...

I am doing my first conversion to my new Saiga 12 and after i add the folding stock, piatol grip, FCG and new hand guard, thought about cutting the barrel down and welding the door buster I purchased but, "not supposed to have an 18" shotgun"? I thought the legal length was 16". Am I wrong on this???

Haven t cut anything yet, but when I do I will remove the barrel from the receiver to be legal.

I understand the wisdom of removing the barrel before cutting and welding an attachment, but I wonder where the line is drawn in general. Just as an example, any time you switch stocks on a Ruger 10/22 rifle with a 16" barrel, your OAL is under 26" for the duration. It certainly remains a fully functional weapon without a stock, if not an ergonomic one. Every time you disassemble the weapon, are you in transitory possession of an SBR? Or, is this treated the same way as a folding/collapsing stock, where the OAL is measured in the fully extended position(or, in this case, the assembled state)? Things to ponder...

I understand the wisdom of removing the barrel before cutting and welding an attachment, but I wonder where the line is drawn in general. Just as an example, any time you switch stocks on a Ruger 10/22 rifle with a 16" barrel, your OAL is under 26" for the duration. It certainly remains a fully functional weapon without a stock, if not an ergonomic one. Every time you disassemble the weapon, are you in transitory possession of an SBR? Or, is this treated the same way as a folding/collapsing stock, where the OAL is measured in the fully extended position(or, in this case, the assembled state)? Things to ponder...

I've thought about similar things. Like how in NY, we can't have telescoping stocks. But when I....I mean "my friend"....pins his stocks, he has to first shoulder the gun to see exactly where he wants it pinned. In other words, for a couple minutes, my friend is stepping into felony-territory, in the laws of NY, because a telescoping stock is attached to a gun.

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
Take the barrell off and weld the extension on before you put it back together and your legal. Otherwise its an SBS and you have to pay the stamp tax etc as mentioned in other posts.

Wrong, having the parts is the same as having them installed, look at the guy last week that got busted with the SP89 SBR. You need to have a legal use for the short barrel to be in possesion of it even if you intend to pin a perm break to bring it back up to 18". You would be legal to have a smith do the barrel and then give back after its 18in again. Cuting you self with no use for a sub 18 inch barrel would put you in control of a SBS for a period of time till you got everything back together.

I kind of compare this to visiting one of those states where getting a blow job is illegal because of sodomy laws. For the few minutes it takes to get the job done I guess its possible for someone to kick my door in and catch me in the act, but, come on. :rolleyes: Disclaimer: Don't do anything illegal.

• 1 month later...
Take the barrell off and weld the extension on before you put it back together and your legal. Otherwise its an SBS and you have to pay the stamp tax etc as mentioned in other posts.

Wrong, having the parts is the same as having them installed, look at the guy last week that got busted with the SP89 SBR. You need to have a legal use for the short barrel to be in possesion of it even if you intend to pin a perm break to bring it back up to 18". You would be legal to have a smith do the barrel and then give back after its 18in again. Cuting you self with no use for a sub 18 inch barrel would put you in control of a SBS for a period of time till you got everything back together.

If you are talking constructive possession though, you would have to have all of the parts (as well as intent, but i digress) If you are really that worried, just pull the barrel, drop off the receiver with a friend, and chop away. As i have no mossy 500 anymore, i can make any number of 10-12-14in barrels that happen to fit on mossbergs, and im not going to be accused of being in constructive possesion of a SBS.

OR... you can just see how THIS turns out, and move to Montana. (I love the part where is says "this is not primarily about firearms, its a political law)

Montana Lawsuit Filed OCT 1