I've been reading all I can on the conversions and keep finding this bit of info in my searchings:

"Rifle can only have ONE of the following features.

*pistol grip

*flash hider or threaded barrel

*bayonet mount

*folding or telescoping stock

*grenade launcher (ha!)

So a Saiga RIFLE can be converted to pistol grip since the detachable mag is not the list, provided that the pistol grip is the only "evil" feature."

Now if I'm reading this right that means I can install a pistol grip without chopping up the gun and installing a new FCG...?

My idea is do-able, but will take some time. I have a friend who makes molds for his clay scuplture business, so for him to make a mold for a pistol grip/stock combo would be no problem. Make a mold and fill it with 2 part pourable epoxy from Carr-McMaster industrial supply. If you take fiber glass sheets and tear them up and mix it in with the epoxy you get an exceptionally strong material when it dries. I used to do this with intercooler baffles on cars I worked on in the past. We already have a foam sculpture of a pistol grip/stock that will work and looks good, without having to move the trigger assy. forward.

waddaya think?

There are two laws you must be concerned about.

The AWB addresses the cosmetic "evil" features that you list in you post. If it were the only law, then your supposition would be correct.

However, there is also the import ban, which only allows 10 foreign-manufactured parts from an arbitrary list of 20. Based on the list, the AK would have only 10 foreign parts if you replaced 5. That is why many people replace the FCG.

If you reconfigure an AK to pistol grip configuration without replacing 5 parts (not counting muzzle device), you will be breaking the law (in the USA).

• 10 months later...

This is the list of 16 parts..... 10 of which can be imported.... so go to TAPCO or sombody else and make sure you have at least 6 of the following with a "MADE IN THE USA stamp on it:

1. Frames (Receivers, castings, forgings, or stampings.

2. Barrels

3. Bolts

4. Bolt Carriers

5. Operationg rods ($2.99)

6. Gas pistons ($14.99)

7. Trigger housings (a whole trigger group is $49.99 and covers 4!)

8. Triggers

9. Hammers

10. Sears

11. J.C. Penny (Just kidding!)

11. Disconnectors

12. Buttstocks

13. Pistol grips

14. Forearm handguards

15. Magazine bodies

16. Followers

17. Floorplates

(List is 17 parts if a muzzle attachment is added)

So there you have it. The dreaded LIST!

THIS GOES FOR ALL LONG GUNS NOT JUST THE SKS!

• 3 months later...

Ok I'm kinda confused by all this 922 talk. Here's what I understand: if I replace the trigger group, gas piston, and any other part with a US made part I will be making it possible to add such features as pistol grip or thumbhole stock? If the stock is US made then it to counts to the US parts list? SO to my understnading so far, I could replace 6 parts with US made parts and add a choate style stock. But what if I wanted to add a forehand pistol grip and piccatiny rail system? Do I have to replace more parts, or are they legal if they're US made as well?

It's important how you look at this. Technically it doesn't matter how many US parts it has. What matters is how many FOREIGN parts it has. Out of the 20 parts listed by ATF as comprising a rifle, you can't have more than 10 of them be foreign or the rifle will be considered a foreign rifle and subject to all current import regulations. The addition of US parts is just the way this gets done.

If you keep the number of foreign parts from the list to 10 or less, you can do just about anything you want to it now that the AWB has expired.

• 2 weeks later...

Gazza,

If you convert as you have proposed you can have the US grip and US muzzle compensator without a problem. The key is no more than 10 imported parts off the list 16 (14 applicable to Saiga rifles). With the FCG you have 3. One more for the buttstock. That's the four needed. This assumes a US grip. If you use a foreign grip or compensator then you need to find another foreign part to change out for a US part.

Clear as mud? Enjoy!!

Wolverine

If i convert my saiga with the FCG from Tapco and a stock and pistol grip (US made) but also a Flash Hider (USA made) will this be ok ? Based on the list I cant have a pistol grip and a flash hider! Is this so?

• 1 year later...