AK mags in a LBV?

Simple, short, and sweet. Will 30-round AK mags fit in the permanently attached magazine pouches on the old Army load bearing vests (LBVs)? Anybody got both laying around and wanna check for me? I'll even say please. "Please."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mag pouch options for AK mags suck.The cheapest option is the extended length LC2 mag pouches but they bury the mag and you have to fish them out the best if the Emdom M4/AK magazine pouch

bullsnit. there are TONS of good pouches that will fit ak mags, bullets down.

arfcom stickied thread

GOTX thread

Ats's triple shingle works

DBT shorty m4 single shingle REALLY works

DBT tiered m4 mag pouch works

HSGI UMMP's work well

EMDOM's ak specific pouch is the cats meow

OSOE has about 4 pouches that will fit ak mags

Esstac makes a 7.62 "wedge" that works well

Tactical Tailor makes a 7.62 pouch that will fit 20 rounders

Eagle has ak specific pouchs (albiet damned difficult to get)

Darrin with Extreme Gear Labs makes some of the best. but he's an ass i don't normally recommend him

I <think> one of our sponsor's makes some (arm chair tactical)

Zulu Tactical makes a 20 round specific shingle (custom order $55 shipped. mine is on the way)

and the list goes on and on and on

I even tried to modify the LBE vest, it didn't work. I like the Chinese green canvas over the shoulder 5 pack or what I have now is a pair of Hungarian green leather over the shoulder five packs. About $20 each. Great for snatch and run. One 30 in the weapon, 5 in the bag. It has belt loops on the back. Here's one in a pic of the GP WASR 10/63 I had:

GP1063a.jpg

Thanks guys. I was actually asking for a buddy and hoping that they would since that's the type of vest he has. I'm trying to talk him into getting a MOLLE-type vest to replace it with. I'm gonna check, but hopefully some of those pouches listed above are MOLLE-compatible.

Incidentally, I wonder why my "instant email notification" didn't work?

Edited by FSCJedi
Thanks guys. I was actually asking for a buddy and hoping that they would since that's the type of vest he has. I'm trying to talk him into getting a MOLLE-type vest to replace it with. I'm gonna check, but hopefully some of those pouches listed above are MOLLE-compatible.

Incidentally, I wonder why my "instant email notification" didn't work?

all the pouches i listed are molle pouches

The cheap molle imports will hold AK mags. The singles will hold singles, the tripples will only hold 2 per cell.

i'd stay away from ctd/condor/voodoo tactical pouches. buy once, cry once. and god forbid, the shit hits the fan the imports will probably fail on you, where a quality piece wouldn't.

mag pouch options for AK mags suck.The cheapest option is the extended length LC2 mag pouches but they bury the mag and you have to fish them out the best if the Emdom M4/AK magazine pouch

arfcom stickied thread

GOTX thread

HSGI UMMP's work well

Darrin with Extreme Gear Labs makes some of the best. but he's an ass i don't normally recommend him

Zulu Tactical makes a 20 round specific shingle (custom order $55 shipped. mine is on the way)

Those deep mag pouches suck donkey balls and are slow as fuck and nobody who can actually run a kalashnikov worth a fuck wants them "bullets down".

Bullets up with 50% coverage and a secure orientation is the only way to roll.Everything else is just a bag to bury a magazine in

arfcom stickied thread

GOTX thread

HSGI UMMP's work well

Those deep mag pouches suck donkey balls and are slow as fuck and nobody who can actually run a kalashnikov worth a fuck wants them "bullets down".

Bullets up with 50% coverage and a secure orientation is the only way to roll.Everything else is just a bag to bury a magazine in

mind to site your sources? larry vickers, gabe suarez, tactical response, and SEVERAL other real world trainers/operators teach bullets down. I run 20 round magazines and have NEVER had problems with drawing them from any of the above mentioned pouches.

btw, if your REALLY worried about it, look at the DBT Short Single m4 pouches. they work VERY well. i'll take pics in a bit.

ETA: first two pics:

HSGI Double UMMP, 4 20 round magazines

P1000679.jpg

Middle is the ATS Triple m4 pouch, bungees removed for draw purposes, using 20 round magazines

Right side Is the Esstac Double 7.62 wedge, bungees kept due to retention (sucks without them), again 20 round magazines

DSCN1171.jpg

NOT my pics:

OSOE Rallyman

674259460_35b8739013_b.jpg

Tactical Tailor AK Pouch (too tall IMO)

674259882_81c984a69f_b.jpg

Emdom Ak Pouch

673733785_57d3c406fc_b.jpg

HSGI Popper chest rig (pouches are attached versions of the new UMMP Shingle)

P7290244.jpg

Edited by jailbait

but i get you. they suck right? they are to deep? gotcha. oh and when your mags start jamming cause you went swimming through a mud puddle and your feed lips are all junked up... yea. don't cry about it. learn from it.

i would suggest maybe picking up a copy of the new AK Operator DVD by tactical response

eta: from a TR fighting rifle class:

DayOne181.jpg

but no one prefers that carry method right?

from a different class by a different company

8.jpg

Edited by jailbait
but i get you. they suck right? they are to deep? gotcha. oh and when your mags start jamming cause you went swimming through a mud puddle and your feed lips are all junked up... yea. don't cry about it. learn from it.

i would suggest maybe picking up a copy of the new AK Operator DVD by tactical response

I have a buddy has that video you think is so cool(he bought it before I started training him) and I don't see anything beyond basic fire and maneuver and attempts at making some lead changes look cool.

I don't need to take a little class jailbait because I can teach one ;)

Me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnqkgI-wo4k

Frontsite

I have rocked ass with AK and galils for 21 years and I say "bullets up",30rd mags and no deep ass mag pouches jailbait

Edited by SOPMOD

Bullets up with 50% coverage and a secure orientation is the only way to roll.Everything else is just a bag to bury a magazine in.

Love the bullets down. And I dont like fishing!!!

post-10714-1239934639_thumb.jpg

I used M16 pouches with the top cutoff,an elastic band sewn on and a long piece of SCUBA webbing with velcro for the flap for 20 years and it worked better than anything I tried from Tactical Tailor,Blackhawk,etc and thought I was set until I tried one of these.

AK-apex.jpg

I stick two trauma dressings wrapped in a sling/kerchief in the bottom and the mag is a little higher but still totally secure by the reinforced top flap.They stay in when I'm rolling in the grass or hauling my fat ass over a fence but come out lickety split when I need to reload.

It's the first AK mag pouch I have not felt the need to either modify of straight up throw in the garbage.

oh and when your mags start jamming cause you went swimming through a mud puddle and your feed lips are all junked up... yea. don't cry about it. learn from it.

I don't play in mud puddles,I walk(or drive) around them because I am a grownup ;)

oh and when your mags start jamming cause you went swimming through a mud puddle and your feed lips are all junked up... yea. don't cry about it. learn from it.

I don't play in mud puddles,I walk(or drive) around them because I am a grownup ;)

so in other words, you like myself, have never used the ak in a non-range scenario. Thing i don't like about three gun is it's all on your feet.

as to the TR Ak video, it was just released april 3, so i'm doubting that he's <had it>

I prefer bullets in the magazine...and if Im in a situation that I need more than one 30rnd mag, swing that F$%&ing .50 cal and let er rip!

A soldier's greatest weapon is his radio, hellfires, rockets, .50cal, and the sound of spinning rotor blades will always make your enemy run!!!

so in other words, you like myself, have never used the ak in a non-range scenario. Thing i don't like about three gun is it's all on your feet.

as to the TR Ak video, it was just released april 3, so i'm doubting that he's <had it>

I'm sorry,I couldn't tell one bunch of Americans wearing desert colors in a woodland environment running AKs from another bunch of them.

I started TRAINING with Galils and AKs when you were probably still in diapers or at least watching Sesame Street and I spent several thousand hours using a rifle in a professional capacity(admittedly not an AK though) and have yet to see an American run an AK any better than I do.

My original modified mag pouches for 30rd AK mags are 21 years old,My first AK was a brand new Golden State Arms Chinese AK in 1987,I was training with Poles,Russians and Israelis who used Kalashnikov variants in actual combat before it became "trendy" here in the last 10 years.

Hell I was setting up my AK up like Pete Kokalis' Central America rig in 1992,what were you doing in 1992?

I'm sorry,I couldn't tell one bunch of Americans wearing desert colors in a woodland environment running AKs from another bunch of them.

I started TRAINING with Galils and AKs when you were probably still in diapers or at least watching Sesame Street and I spent several thousand hours using a rifle in a professional capacity(admittedly not an AK though) and have yet to see an American run an AK any better than I do.

My original modified mag pouches for 30rd AK mags are 21 years old,My first AK was a brand new Golden State Arms Chinese AK in 1987,I was training with Poles,Russians and Israelis who used Kalashnikov variants in actual combat before it became "trendy" here in the last 10 years.

Hell I was setting up my AK up like Pete Kokalis' Central America rig in 1992,what were you doing in 1992?

really? so who have you trained for/with? and to make a claim that you are the best there is with an ak platform is one hell of an internet ego there bud...

anim_bs2.gif

Edited by jailbait

I was in grade school and jaming out to metallicas black album and napalm death, we all gotta start somewhere.

Its a impressive resume, but it does come off as a ego.

Can you guys settle down a bit? your bitching about what way to put your mags in the pouch for fucks sake. I liked mine up, but many people preffered thiers down. No matter what your choice is the fact is you'll have to live and die by it, and if your comfortable with that, then so be it.

a quick google search yeilded this thread from THR archives. read about 3/4s of the way down the page.

"In addition to his rants and vulgarity in front of families at the old SOF shoot in Vegas, his racial bias (he is a white power turd) which can be seen in his quick appearance in SAR, and his rapidly diminishing mental capacity, take anything he says in person as suspect."

"SOF fired him. This tells you something."

so if that's your poster boy, and it's actually true about him, it makes me question you that much more.

I was in grade school and jaming out to metallicas black album and napalm death, we all gotta start somewhere.

Can you guys settle down a bit? your bitching about what way to put your mags in the pouch for fucks sake. I liked mine up, but many people preffered thiers down. No matter what your choice is the fact is you'll have to live and die by it, and if your comfortable with that, then so be it.

yeah, i just have a problem with an internet turd that thinks he's so much better than everyone else, and knows more than 80% of the ak instructors out there. especially people like larry, gabe, and the guys at TR

and for the record i was doing the same as nailbomb, but in 8th grade

Edited by jailbait

really? so who have you trained for/with? and to make a claim that you are the best there is with an ak platform is one hell of an internet ego there bud...

Ahem,I don't need to impress a little kid like you,my gigantic ego is older than the internet and I will probably never out myself as to who I've trained with worked for,etc because I don't need the fallout or embarrassment of wasting my time arguing on the internet with people like you.

Facts are facts,I give good advice that works out pretty darned well in the real world and it comes from EXPERIENCE and I'm not trying to sell anyone a DVD or some Guccigear LBE/LBV but my shit has and will take the "Pepsi Challenge" against anyone else's shit and you can take that to the bank ;)

Ahem,I don't need to impress a little kid like you,my gigantic ego is older than the internet and I will probably never out myself as to who I've trained with worked for,etc because I don't need the fallout or embarrassment of wasting my time arguing on the internet with people like you.

Facts are facts,I give good advice that works out pretty darned well in the real world and it comes from EXPERIENCE and I'm not trying to sell anyone a DVD or some Guccigear LBE/LBV but my shit has and will take the "Pepsi Challenge" against anyone else's shit and you can take that to the bank ;)

See theres the tongue in cheek humor i like about you...

BTW... you brought up pepsi and 1992 so i had to give everyone a flashback to what we're talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgQx1fA3ZDc

If you don't click it you'll never know...

Edited by Nailbomb

yeah, i just have a problem with an internet turd that thinks he's so much better than everyone else, and knows more than 80% of the ak instructors out there. especially people like larry, gabe, and the guys at TR

and for the record i was doing the same as nailbomb, but in 8th grade

I'd be willing to bet I've been seriously running a an AK longer than any of those guys(if you count a Galil as an AK) it's not that I am better or worse it's that I've been doing it longer and I'm not trying to sell anyone anything and when I see little greenhorns like you all ate up with hero worship and think you have the lock on freshness with a bunch of shit I have barely heard of because I had my shit together 20 years ago before any of these guys ever picked up an AK as more than a curiosity I feel the need to give you a luv tap to bring you back into reality.

Internet Turd,LOL I'm a real live stinky stuck to your shoe kind of turd that just happens to be wasting time on the internet in semi-retirement ;)

yeah, i just have a problem with an internet turd that thinks he's so much better...

Cool your jets, SOPMOD is legit. His opinion matters.

Good looking mag pouch. I have yet to see (in my more limited experience) an AK fail due to dirt or mud.

See theres the tongue in cheek humor i like about you...

BTW... you brought up pepsi and 1992 so i had to give everyone a flashback to what we're talking about...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgQx1fA3ZDc

If you don't click it you'll never know...

Oh gawd...that was horrible hehe

You are correct,I don't take myself too seriously and that is what I hate about all of these stern faced,shaved headed tacticool superdupercombattrooper types that teach all of these classes and get people like Junior up there so amped up.

This shit isn't rocket science and no matter how many DVDs someone sells the only thing that would make them an expert in my book would be showing me something I'd never seen before that actually worked better than what I was doing already.

Who appointed these guys "AK Experts" anyway?It's kind of like Ron White bitching about people in Ohio saying Cincinnati is the "Chili Capitol of the World" when there is a Mexican boy down in Jaurez who's chili could kick their ass with naught but an Onion and a Goat.

The "AK Experts" I have trained with weren't Americans and they had it all over these "AK Experts" and didn't take themselves too seriously either.

I sure hope nobody goes to calling me an "AK Expert" because it's kind of a silly ass title if you ask me :D