AK mags in a LBV?

Hmmm... a little warm here! Sounds like someone is trying to start another "mine is bigger than yours" thread with Sopmod! I'll put my money on Sopmod. I have 5 years military and 20 years full time LE, and he sounds about right!

As to AKs failing, in 1986 I took the top cover off my Chinese AK, through a handfull of dirt in the receiver, replaced the cover, and fired a full magazine! I had to carry aan AR as a LE trunk gun, though, because the boss thought AK look too evil!

I am not expecting Cuban paratrooper to land, jack booted thugs to attack, or roving bands of insurrectionists to terrorize the countryside. I kep the Saiga 7.62 as a house/farm gun because I KNOW it will work every time if I do need it, and it will intimidate the piss out of people (literally) and I will probably not have to use it. (See my post on the car load of goblins I surprised on myu property in the middle of the night while I was pointing an Underwood GI carbine with 2 30s taped together.)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... a little warm here! Sounds like someone is trying to start another "mine is bigger than yours" thread with Sopmod! I'll put my money on Sopmod. I have 5 years military and 20 years full time LE, and he sounds about right!

As to AKs failing, in 1986 I took the top cover off my Chinese AK, through a handfull of dirt in the receiver, replaced the cover, and fired a full magazine! I had to carry aan AR as a LE trunk gun, though, because the boss thought AK look too evil!

I am not expecting Cuban paratrooper to land, jack booted thugs to attack, or roving bands of insurrectionists to terrorize the countryside. I kep the Saiga 7.62 as a house/farm gun because I KNOW it will work every time if I do need it, and it will intimidate the piss out of people (literally) and I will probably not have to use it. (See my post on the car load of goblins I surprised on myu property in the middle of the night while I was pointing an Underwood GI carbine with 2 30s taped together.)

bullets up? no flaps? nothing blocking your feed lips?

21stCenturyAK3.jpg

bullets up? no flaps? nothing blocking your feed lips?

21stCenturyAK3.jpg

Rolling in the field:one flap open and tucked,the others covered,staged and prepped by ease of access.if you have time behind cover put your empties in the dump pouch and reach for the hardest to get mags on your rig and then open the next flap if the pouch you just pulled from is bare.

Moving fast in UO: open a couple of you easiest to reach pouches,don't use the dump pouch unless there is a good break behind cover

Convoy Security:Find a good spot and take out a couple of mags easily accesses from a supported firing position inside the vehicle,open two flaps in expectation of having to dismount and tuck the dump pouch until you clear the vehicle and find cover(away from the vehicle if forced to dismount).

Dynamic Entry: Open all the flaps,screw the dump pouch and prepare thy self to meet thy Maker...

Edited by SOPMOD

Another reason I go with SPOMOD here....

Most folks who have REALLY been there and done that could give a crap if anyone knows or even believes them. They KNOW and believe in themselves. That's enough! :rolleyes:

Armchair commando worry about believing them. The real deal doesn't...

As for me, being retired, all I worry about is that if I need the weapon on the farm, I grab the Saiga off the shelf, camber a round, and put the spare mag in my back jeans pocket (probably lips down because it comes out of the back pocket easier..). Unless, of course, the Cuban paratroopers land in the field next door! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Another reason I go with SPOMOD here....

Most folks who have REALLY been there and done that could give a crap if anyone knows or even believes them. They KNOW and believe in themselves. That's enough! :rolleyes:

Armchair commando worry about believing them. The real deal doesn't...

As for me, being retired, all I worry about is that if I need the weapon on the farm, I grab the Saiga off the shelf, camber a round, and put the spare mag in my back jeans pocket (probably lips down because it comes out of the back pocket easier..). Unless, of course, the Cuban paratroopers land in the field next door! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

I've never had to shoot anybody but I've seen it done ;)

+1 on that! I know there are folks that just hope they get the chance to smoke a bad guy. Not me, I never had to, though I have seen it happen, and cleaned up the aftermath more time than I can count. I have had enough nightmares through the years without greasing anyone. I have been shot at a few times, but fire discipline won the day. Good guys behind the bad guys makes it a no shoot if you can get to cover.

• 2 months later...

Ok,here you go lads.

Blackhawk-OMEGA1.jpg

This is the plain vanilla 6 mag pouch vest sold by Eagle,Blackhawk and countless clones including Cheaper Than Dirt and if you run your AK mags "Bullets Up" and and practice you can maintain operational functionality on the cheap(Blackhawk vest on sale for $60 from Gall's).If you carry more than 6 mags then put the rest of them in belt pouches or a shoulder bag and refill the vest as needed.If you need more than 6 magazines in succession one after another then you didn't bring enough guys to the fight and are probably not going to last long enough to worry about it anyway.

This is how you actually use this LBV in conjunction with a 7.62 Saiga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUiMjAoKxgU

No amount of molle webbing or wearing desert colors in a green woodland environment will make you as good as as a few hundred hours of practice ;)

Now get your gear on and get your AK and start practicing...

Edited by SOPMOD
I'm with SOPMOD, if for no other reason than he can reload fast as shit in that video. Was bullets up before seeing anyways.

what I really take away from this thread is that YOU ALL ARE FUCKING OLD! 1992 I was wrapping up 1st grade!! OLD!! :haha:

lol

Geesh,pic on an old guy just because he has boots older than you, :P

Now go watch some sesame street kiddo,LOL

Fuck%20You.jpg

Edited by SOPMOD

I dunno, jailbaits got that dickhead attitude I like to see, but Sopmods got the beard going.... its a real toss up.

I dunno, jailbaits got that dickhead attitude I like to see, but Sopmods got the beard going.... its a real toss up.

and we're necroposting why? oh, btw. here's a link to a review of SEVERAL pouches i did a few weeks back:

LSHD Reviews

there are other great ak accessories posted throughout my blog as well. check out page 1

Rounds down is how you feed the M16. Because it is a finicky weapon and the feed lips are made of girly aluminum, you want to protect it. The mag well also allows for a straight insert so there's very little manipulation unless you are trying to retain the mag. With an AK, it's difficult to manipulate the mag with precision unless you're holding it near the lips. Rounds up makes more sense, as SOPMOD handily demonstrated. He's also correct in that training trumps all. Given enough time, you can probably learn to load the ak quickly from a burlap sack.

BTW SOPMOD you are pretty damn deft for an old fat guy! :)

And jailbait those are some interesting writeups. There are Marines that absolutely obsess about having the latest and greatest high-speed stuff. They're called "Gear Queers".

but i get you. they suck right? they are to deep? gotcha. oh and when your mags start jamming cause you went swimming through a mud puddle and your feed lips are all junked up... yea. don't cry about it. learn from it.

i would suggest maybe picking up a copy of the new AK Operator DVD by tactical response

eta: from a TR fighting rifle class:

DayOne181.jpg

but no one prefers that carry method right?

from a different class by a different company

8.jpg

Are these the same people that have the camera man down range while people are firing?

Are these the same people that have the camera man down range while people are firing?

the instructors that trust thier trainees well enough to go down range? yes.

have you talked to anyone that was at that shoot? did you read any of the AARs? watch the two youtube responses from the company?

this thread is not a place for this discussion. actually it's not even the right board for it. it's been discussed on every major forum, youtube, myspace and there have been tweets about it. take the your argument there. cause quite frankly, whatever you have to say about it... your wrong.

Off topic:

- I was 9 years old in 1992.

- Crystal Pepsi was one of the worst beverages ever created.

On topic:

I was under the impression that bullets up/bullets down was just a preference thing. Is one actually quicker/more efficient than the other?

Off topic:

- I was 9 years old in 1992.

- Crystal Pepsi was one of the worst beverages ever created.

On topic:

I was under the impression that bullets up/bullets down was just a preference thing. Is one actually quicker/more efficient than the other?

Show me a "bullets down" shooter that is faster than a "bullets up" shooter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeAreLYHTxo

BTW SOPMOD you are pretty damn deft for an old fat guy! :)

It's that damned camera..you know the camera adds like..........75lbs ;)

This time the camera made me like 5ft tall as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeAreLYHTxo

He's "bullets up" in the first reloads from the table where he's still a 1/2 second slower than me and he's a full second slower them me when he pulls it from the pocket "bullets down".He lost 1/2 a second going bullets down.That plastic thingy probably got in his way actually,LOL

I can't believe this thread is still going...

I restarted it to show the OP an inexpensive tactical vest option after sort of rediscovering the old fashioned Tac-V1-N type vests would do double duty as a single layer AK mag vest and it got all silly again,LOL

I didn't intend to start pissing on jailbait again but from the looks of it a couple of my fellow "Old Fat Guys" think it's pretty amusing to stir shit up ;)

Back on topic:How do you carry your AK mags Nailbomb?

I restarted it to show the OP an inexpensive tactical vest option after sort of rediscovering the old fashioned Tac-V1-N type vests would do double duty as a single layer AK mag vest and it got all silly again,LOL

I didn't intend to start pissing on jailbait again but from the looks of it a couple of my fellow "Old Fat Guys" think it's pretty amusing to stir shit up ;)

DSCN1284.jpg

actually going to replace the esstac double wedge with more dbt short pouches here real soon

DSCN1284.jpg

actually going to replace the esstac double wedge with more dbt short pouches here real soon

Got a question for you guys, how to the Russians carry their mags? I assume they have had the "up or down" debate over there and have some kind of doctrine built up around it. Anyone know? When I go looking for Russian tactical vests on the inter-webs, I always find a model called the "Tarzan" but I never see it fully loaded with magazines or in action. Im hoping one of you guys knows.

jailbait you may have shot yourself in the foot posting that video. Grabbing the mag from a table in no way replicates pulling it out of the mag pouch. Also, when the guy does pull it from the hip pouch, notice how far up the mag was sticking up? Again, that doesn't replicate the deep seat the mag has in a vest pouch. Lastly, the young fat dude isn't as fast as SOPMOD.

As an aside in 1992 I also hated Crystal Pepsi but I was too busy drinking beer like it was going out of style and hitting on every hot young chick I saw...kinda like what I'm still doing today. :)

Edited by GunnyR

When stuck using a mag pouch that was too deep, usually because it was interned for another mag, I have put a block of Styrofoam in the bottom as a spacer.

When stuck using a mag pouch that was too deep, usually because it was interned for another mag, I have put a block of Styrofoam in the bottom as a spacer.

You are on a roll!! Man between your Flipslop Buttstock Spacers and this you you should do a DIY segment

Quit making fun of me SOPMOD, you know that I am sensitive! :lol:

Nailbomb just bought my old AK vest when he got his other 9 mags back. He said something along the lines of "How's this gonna fit over my body armor?"

As for me, I made this rig. I wanted an open top, six mag harness, velcro pouch both sides. Tight and flat to the body. Mags Down!

rig3.jpgrig1.jpg

True time? I'm old school. An AK deserves a real rig.

Grad-2, VOG-25 pouch, dump pouch, more pouches blaa blaa blaa, right down to the hydration on the back.

geartrip1.jpg

Mags up in this one.