AK mags in a LBV?

go here www.zahal.org they have some of the best assault gear and they fit all mag styles

Marom/Dolphin gear is alright because it's a complete package deal but for $200 for a basic "Ephod" type rig you could almost go with some of Jailbait's super high tech US stuff that is frankly a wee bit more advanced.I used the "Ephod" in the early 1990s and I found the pouches to be in serious need of some elastic to keep the mag flopping to a minimum.If I was to go to Israel for Mahal right now I would be bringing some webgear from home rather than use the stuff the IDF gives you for free in all honesty.

Then again since they restricted Mahal enlistment to mere children(24 and under) now I won't have to worry about it anymore,LOL

I wish someone would make a shingle that had a proper flap on it instead of those bungee things.

This Cavalry Arms pouch originally for an S12 AGP mag would be nice if it were about 1-2 inches shorter

1247-5.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe this thread is still going...

I restarted it to show the OP an inexpensive tactical vest option after sort of rediscovering the old fashioned Tac-V1-N type vests would do double duty as a single layer AK mag vest and it got all silly again,LOL

I didn't intend to start pissing on jailbait again but from the looks of it a couple of my fellow "Old Fat Guys" think it's pretty amusing to stir shit up ;)

Back on topic:How do you carry your AK mags Nailbomb?

To be completly truthful I just got done with the work on barry, and havn't had it together long enough to develop a preference yet.

I do take a different approach from gunny though, I carry my AR mags bullets up on both my body armor(6 mags), and my leg pouch(4 mags), but the bullets go down on the 11th mag that is in a small single pouch on the buttstock of the rifle.

Nailbomb just bought my old AK vest when he got his other 9 mags back. He said something along the lines of "How's this gonna fit over my body armor?"

^ see havn't had it that long, but this thread has gotten a little bit interesting. We should start a different thread with the topic being pics of our gear setups. Post a pic of the go to weapon for that setup, and your rig. I think that would offer a little more flavor to the site, and maybe we could start discussing other things you might want on that setup like knives, first aid kit...ect...

for the 31 of you all that have visited my blog in the last few days, you'll notice that i compared SEVERAL viable options for these magazines. the only "deep pocket" pouches i have encountered on a molle platform are: BHI quad pouches (2x2s), Emdom Ak pouches and the HSGI UMMPS. all the shingles (with the exception of the triad pouch) were a perfect fit for both 20 and 30 round magazines, with plenty of exposed magazine to grab a hold of. maybe i should post the whole thing here.

I do take a different approach from gunny though, I carry my AR mags bullets up on both my body armor(6 mags), and my leg pouch(4 mags), but the bullets go down on the 11th mag that is in a small single pouch on the buttstock of the rifle.

Try doing a reload at speed and I bet you get hung up on the length of the magwell. You'll have to shift your grip lower on the mag to seat it fully. With the standard issue mag pouches I used to carry the mags rounds down, curved part of the mag inboard. We even used a gutted out shell of paracord inserted into the floorplate as a cheap man's magpul. When the load bearing vests came out, I kept carrying my old deuce gear. When the MOLLE system came out, I switched because the modularity allowed you to customize the rig. But the MOLLE gear wasn't durable (back then anyway). They've gotten a lot better, especially the custom made stuff that jailbait did in his writeups.

I've been fortunate to have worked with a wide variety of shooters from all different backgrounds. British, Australian, Irish, and American. The companies I've worked with include Blackwater, Triple Canopy, and Aegis. I'm not tooting my horn, just explaining the background behind my next statement: SOPMOD is the smoothest I've ever seen do a mag change on an AK. There isn't a single wasted motion in the video that I saw.

Of course, he probably can't shoot worth a damn anyway!

(Just kidding man)

P.S.

Please note that I said I worked WITH those contractors and not FOR. Triple Canopy and Aegis had some good pros working for them. Blackwater...well, I wasn't too impressed with. I kept saying to myself no wonder those poor bastards ended up getting cooked and hung.

Try doing a reload at speed and I bet you get hung up on the length of the magwell. You'll have to shift your grip lower on the mag to seat it fully. With the standard issue mag pouches I used to carry the mags rounds down, curved part of the mag inboard. We even used a gutted out shell of paracord inserted into the floorplate as a cheap man's magpul. When the load bearing vests came out, I kept carrying my old deuce gear. When the MOLLE system came out, I switched because the modularity allowed you to customize the rig. But the MOLLE gear wasn't durable (back then anyway). They've gotten a lot better, especially the custom made stuff that jailbait did in his writeups.

Your right, I do shift my grip on the mag. I don't find it to be a movement that requires thought though, and i don't feel it slows me down. I find it to be quite natural.

As has been mentioned a few times in this conversation the trick to any method is practicing untill muscle memory takes over. If you have to think about something as you do it your going to fumble under stress.

I just "Make Noise and Break Stuff" I will leave all of that mystical accuracy crap to you Soggy Riflemen ;)

Meh...accuracy is overrated anyway. Everyone knows that small arms are only a backup for targets that are danger close for arty!

Nailbomb, you hit the nail on the head brother. Training overcomes gear limitations all the time.

Alright, you guys got me motivated enough to show my gear setups...

I already can see I have some work to do with the AK setup. The mags pouches are very deep and it dosn't offer much purchase area get get a solid grip. Either i will have to modify the mag pouch to be more like the ones on my vest, or i'll have to put something under them to lift the mags.

My AR setup i'm very happy with. the leg pouch requires taking a knee(or being in the prone) to use with any level of speed and the pouches are deeper, but the one on my vest has nice pouches with good purchace area on the mags. Its only downside is the material used is thinner and I've beat it up pretty bad, so its got a few small holes started.

Barry_1.JPG

P7010002.JPG

P7010004.JPG

1) That OTV is pretty salty looking!

2) I keep forgetting how things have to be different for you dag-goned lefties!

I'll definitly take the salty comment as a compliment, but i'm definitly a right handed shooter. I never used a 3 point untill we started training for the sandbox, so my loading procedure was developed while using a hasty sling. So i'm a righty that does everything with his right arm. If i was a lefty that mag pouch on the buttstock would be a real pain in the ass.

1) That OTV is pretty salty looking!

2) I keep forgetting how things have to be different for you dag-goned lefties!

I'll definitly take the salty comment as a compliment, but i'm definitly a right handed shooter. I never used a 3 point untill we started training for the sandbox, so my loading procedure was developed while using a hasty sling. So i'm a righty that does everything with his right arm. If i was a lefty that mag pouch on the buttstock would be a real pain in the ass.

Ok that makes sense too. Try a single point sling when you get the chance. Way better than three poiners (IMHO) because you can transition to weak hand easier with them. Just unclip and shift. You can leave it unclipped until situation allows for reattachment. It will also allow you to go back to using your left hand for reloads, which allows you to keep the weapon on target or threat direction (guns and eyeballs).

(Edited because I can't spell worth a damn!)

Edited by GunnyR

This thread managed to get pretty interesting, though i think the bit about mag up, mag down was a bit funny for someone to get all up in arms over. As was mentioned, training with one method or the other is going to make a much larger difference than the carry method itself.

I had some trouble finding a mag carrier setup that carried enough mags, I think I might try that vest that SOPMOD posted.

Right now i just have a manpurse setup like the green leather pouch someone posted earlier, albeit not as clean looking. I tried a couple of different chest setups, but it seemed like the singles didnt carry enough mags, and the doubles always seemed to snag together when i went to pull out a mag, usually the lips on the flooplates, which would seem to be an argument for bullets down. Anyone else have this problem, or was it just my choice of product? (cheap, and not necessarily designed for AK mags.)

That full setup AKAstormi shows in the second picture looks pretty good, too, though i cant identify half of it.

Also, i noticed that alot of the setups posted seem to use velcro closures, I havent had much luck with velcro anything outdoors, its either picking up brush and debris, or it gets sopping wet and becomes about useless. I usually sew on buckles or snaps over any velcro closures on anything i want to still work once i leave the house.

Edited by ReverendFranz
This thread managed to get pretty interesting, though i think the bit about mag up, mag down was a bit funny for someone to get all up in arms over. As was mentioned, training with one method or the other is going to make a much larger difference than the carry method itself.

I had some trouble finding a mag carrier setup that carried enough mags, I think I might try that vest that SOPMOD posted.

Right now i just have a manpurse setup like the green leather pouch someone posted earlier, albeit not as clean looking. I tried a couple of different chest setups, but it seemed like the singles didnt carry enough mags, and the doubles always seemed to snag together when i went to pull out a mag, usually the lips on the flooplates, which would seem to be an argument for bullets down. Anyone else have this problem, or was it just my choice of product? (cheap, and not necessarily designed for AK mags.)

That full setup AKAstormi shows in the second picture looks pretty good, too, though i cant identify half of it.

Also, i noticed that alot of the setups posted seem to use velcro closures, I havent had much luck with velcro anything outdoors, its either picking up brush and debris, or it gets sopping wet and becomes about useless. I usually sew on buckles or snaps over any velcro closures on anything i want to still work once i leave the house.

this will be available very shortly. not sure if it will be available through his main site, but you can order directly from john at OSOE. i saw this posted on another site btw.

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Like SOPMOD, I was building and shooting AKs when Suarez, Vickers, and the rest of the Cooper gang hated the AK - which was not that long ago.

I can see why it is easy to discount these guys because of their limited time with the AK system, but I think that is a big mistake. Through trial and err, a willingness to experiment, and getting extensive training and insight from guys like Sonny Pazikas and Marco Vorobiev, I think AK training has gone a long way in the US.

I trained with Sonny Pazikas before most of these American guys admitted that they liked AKs, but the last Suarez class I took was leaps and bounds beyond what Sonny used to teach - now even the Russian trainers have added things to their material that originated with these Americans.

Sonny taught me bullet down carry. I have trained for years that way and became proficient with it. If another way works better for you, do it. What a lame thing for brothers of the AK to get so shitty over.

Almost all instructors are a full of themselves and a little full of shit, that is how they keep their jobs. The great thing about being in America is that we can train with em all and take what works for us.

People tend to act like those cheesy "Kung-fu Theater" shows in the 80s; "My master is better than your master", "my kung-fu is superior to yours". If you can safely handle it, run it smoothly, and shoot it straight you are way above the level of most firearm owners and GTG in my book.

I too am glad that AKs have become not just acceptable, but appreciated, in the US shooting community. In the late 80s and early 90s I had Poly Tech type 56 AKS with a folding spike bayonet, imported by GSAD in Kalifornia (then California). I use it as a LE trunk gun. It impressed the hell out of people on raids and high risk warrants! <G> Then one day in 1993, the Sheriff saw my qualifying with it. He said I could no longer use it because it "looked too evil" and people would not like it. No shit, that's what he said. Then I was lucky enough to get an XM177E2 that the SWAT team did not now we had in the armory as my subsequent trunk gun. About a year before I retired out, though one of the SWAT Sgts. commandeered my XM! Then I switched back to an M1 carbine.

Even where I now live in Southern Illinois, AK is no longer a dirty word or evil gun with mainstream shooters. It is being appreciated as a superior weapons system. My buddy in his local gunshop sell everyone he can get in. Mostly he sells Saigas and GP WASR 10/63s. People think of them as relatively inexpensive, but very reliable.

I agree absoloutly, this thread got cool all of a sudden! i wanna see more peoples gear rigs. This thing is motivating me to get the rest of my vest put back together and start practicing combat reloads again.

Stormy has a few gear setups. I'm gonna try to get him to post a better pic of his AK rig, and maybe his FAL rig.

as far as the velcro I've never had a issue with mine and i assure you my AR setup has been through some crap. But even that being the case there are backups on many i have seen. Many have buttons or snaps as a option, but they simply don't offer as quick a access, as a plus they do offer more secure carry.

I'm telling you we should get a gear setup pic thread going, and even if we don't post your setup on here!

Nailbomb bugged me enough, so here's my 3 AK rigs.

Typical Chinese. Only holds 3- 30 Rds, so 5 mag pouch and 75 Rd drum.

Preban Norinco Type 56S, Arsenal /66\ with matching Bakelite mag.

015.jpg

6 Mag. Rig. I made it up, works well, serves it purpose.

Mutt Rifle I built from a Rommy G kit. Stock I made, welded up tubing. Rommy PG, Russian Bakelite Mag, Polish LHG, Bulgy UHG, U.S. GB/FS, Fake can on the front.

018.jpg

Russian Grad-2, VOG-25 pouch and belt, The rest is a mix of U.S. gear and aftermarket. Holds 8 Mags and a shit pot more. Single point sling hook up.

The rifle is a Bulgy Clone built from a Rommy G kit on a flat. I had to add the Star GP30.

022.jpg023.jpg

Typical Chinese. Only holds 3- 30 Rds, so 5 mag pouch and 75 Rd drum.

Preban Norinco Type 56S, Arsenal /66\ with matching Bakelite mag.

015.jpg

Funny how everyone treasures the Russian web gear, but spetsnaz in Afghanistan dumped the Russian stuff for these Chinese chest rigs when ever they found them on the battlefield. Most of the pics I have seen of spetsnaz in the later part of that war are wearing Chinese rigs. Marco Vorobiev even used them in Afghanistan. I have always wondered why.

Looks great stormi, all of it. That Grad-2 looks alot nicer than the other Soviet vests, and a good deal of the US ones ive seen. Ill have to keep my eyes open for one. any problems or concerns with it, at all?

That mutt Romy looks great too, the bakelite mag really makes it shine.

I have to ask though, if Star made your GP30, whats in the VOG pouches? :unsure: Since you put it on a real rifle, hows it holding up, pretty solid construction? i was always curious about those.

Neat stuf, and thanks for sharing, good job Nailbomb on the nagging.

Reverend, I love the Grad. The Lifchik, M-22's and M-32's aren't bad, but I didn't want lightweight. I CAN'T start collecting vests. Rifles, Mags, Pouches, Slings, Bayonets, Parts and Ammo are acouple annual salaries. As for the Star GP30, yeah it's an airsoft. But what the hell, I got a deal on it. I got 60 shot rounds for it in the Vog pouch. Scares the crap out of squirrels. 60 pellets all at once, they don't know which way to run. It's there for show and tell, doesn't interfere with function and it's 98% metal. LOL

Forgot, The Mutt has a Polish left side selector also;

muttmod4.jpg

Edited by akastormi