Wood Furniture

I did not like the feel of the factory buttstock and could not find a wooden set anywhere. I ordered a saiga .308 birch set from Saigastock.com and did a little dremel work. The buttstock feels great and added some weight to the rear of the gun. The front is nice too. It reguires a little more work to change gas settings, but I like the look. Too bad I splintered the wood drilling the hole in the forearm. Gonna have to get some elmers.

travis

post-17739-1240074994_thumb.jpg

post-17739-1240075006_thumb.jpg

yeap IMHO changing out the stock for these was the next best thing you could have done with that gun next to a full conversion. Looks nice too! :up:

you could consider reshaping the nose section of the front to being it back some for better access to the gas plug.

Edited by Nailbomb
Call me old fashioned, but I just love the look of wooden furniture on the Saiga.

+1!!!!! :up:

LOL :lol:

You really gotta tub out the fore arm to fit the S12... the others dont take near as much work to get to fit....

Top to bottom...

20 Gauge

12 Gauge

woodsetsaigas.jpg

Although after looking at the pic... I think I may need to swap buttstocks on the S20 and the S12... for better color match... Go figure... I had the forearm (on the S12) for a while now... but no buttstock... found one today at the Syracuse Gun show... I stole it for $20.00!! :up: I was working on the S12, this evening... and planned to post a thread just like this... so I figured I would post mine here too... :up: The more the merrier!!!!

:smoke:

Hehe No pic but I just did the same mod on mine yesterday... I split the freaking forehand but I managed to glue it together with some wood glue. and after drilling the new hole for the screw it looks great... To bad I just ordered $300 worth of conversion parts...

I did not like the feel of the factory buttstock and could not find a wooden set anywhere. I ordered a saiga .308 birch set from Saigastock.com and did a little dremel work. The buttstock feels great and added some weight to the rear of the gun. The front is nice too. It reguires a little more work to change gas settings, but I like the look. Too bad I splintered the wood drilling the hole in the forearm. Gonna have to get some elmers.

travis

looks awesome! great 1st post :)

i've been wanting to go that route also.

Call me old fashioned, but I just love the look of wooden furniture on the Saiga.

+1!!!!! :up:

LOL :lol:

You really gotta tub out the fore arm to fit the S12... the others dont take near as much work to get to fit....

Top to bottom...

20 Gauge

12 Gauge

post-721-1240104457_thumb.jpg

Although after looking at the pic... I think I may need to swap buttstocks on the S20 and the S12... for better color match... Go figure... I had the forearm (on the S12) for a while now... but no buttstock... found one today at the Syracuse Gun show... I stole it for $20.00!! :up: I was working on the S12, this evening... and planned to post a thread just like this... so I figured I would post mine here too... :up: The more the merrier!!!!

Where's the 7.62x39? Geez...what a loser.

Where's the 7.62x39? Geez...what a loser.

Ya mean, These?!?!?!?

(Although not ALL X39... The bottom one is a WASR 22... the TOP is a WASR 10... The three in the MIDDLE however... All Saiga love, there! :wub: )

woodsetrifles.jpg

And just so you dont whine that I forgot the X54's.... I got a pair of them here too... :lol:

pslpair1.jpg

What REALLY sucks...

I was taking all of these to my other house... and I have to cross the lake in a boat... the damn boat sank... and I LOST EVERY ONE!!!!!! :cryss: :cryss: :cryss: :cryss:

What a tragedy!!!!

What REALLY sucks...

I was taking all of these to my other house... and I have to cross the lake in a boat... the damn boat sank... and I LOST EVERY ONE!!!!!! :cryss: :cryss: :cryss: :cryss:

What a tragedy!!!!

I'm jealous man. Very nice. Also, I'm getting some scuba gear and going to this lake that you guys are having problems with.

Back to the OP...

Too bad I splintered the wood drilling the hole in the forearm.

When you get the spot on your forearm all marked out for the screw hole... I used a round engraving bit in the dremel to make the hole...

( one of these... )

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/PROD/d...ngraving/D-BQ16

It makes a perfect hole if you go slow... and will not splinter the wood in any way!!

( although it requires you to have some skills with your "Dremel-Fu" :lol: )

It definitely improves the feel of the S-12 100%. Much better weight and balance.

Actually I like the way the longer forearm makes the barrel appear shorter. It's not that hard to get to the gas plug.

post-1293-1240164752_thumb.jpg

My friend Sean with another nice addition to the S-12...

post-1293-1240164787_thumb.jpg

It took me about an hour with a sanding bit in a dremel tubbing out the forearm. You gotta go SLOW and check fit OFTEN... I was NOT in a hurry and made sure to be patient and TAKE MY TIME...

The stock also needs to be shortened where it fits in the receiver, as it will hit on the cross posts... Thats a quick cut to get that right... basically just match up the profile of the factory synthetic stock and cut the wood one to match... done...

Also the forearm needs to have the rear tab shortened, and thinned... again... go slow and check fit OFTEN... it should slide on firmly, but SMOOTHLY... you should NOT need to FORCE ANYTHING.... if you do... its not right yet!!! Check for black smudges inside the forearm... thats where you will need to remove a bit more material... You will also need to cut down the steel insert for the swivel lug if you plan to keep that part in the forearm. That needs to be shortened to JUST before the rounded indent where the screw lug is...

• 2 weeks later...

I would really love to replace my plastic with some nice wood furniture, but can't seem to locate the .308 furniture. saigastock.com has a set listed for the 7.62/.223... anyone know if this will work too? also is $135 the going rate or should I shop around a bit?

What REALLY sucks...

What a tragedy!!!!

Oh, what a shame.. now the BATFE or some other unconstitutional Federal agency can't ever seize em! They're lost to the deep!

Edited by post-apocalyptic
What REALLY sucks...

What a tragedy!!!!

i really hope you are joking

you lost a $6500~ collection of wood furniture orgy, to a lake... and you didn't dive headfirst in (i sure as hell would lmao) to retrieve?

don't tell me you'd complain if 100 dollar bills fell from the sky and smacked you in the forehead :P

all in fun though - very impressive collection, either past or present tense.

BattleRifleG3 did a set for a S-12 Cobra did up for my son. Do a search of his work. He made stock sets for most Saigas. Haven't heard him on here in awhile. :smoke:

I'm still around, making stocks for the very patient.

Glad to see the Russian stocks making their way in. Lots of people asked me to make duplicates which I'm not equipped to do, so now they can get just what they want and I can focus more on my original designs.

When I finally get around to doing some stock sets for myself, I hope to share some pics of some interesting stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
BattleRifleG3 did a set for a S-12 Cobra did up for my son. Do a search of his work. He made stock sets for most Saigas. Haven't heard him on here in awhile. :smoke:

I'm still around, making stocks for the very patient.

Glad to see the Russian stocks making their way in. Lots of people asked me to make duplicates which I'm not equipped to do, so now they can get just what they want and I can focus more on my original designs.

When I finally get around to doing some stock sets for myself, I hope to share some pics of some interesting stuff.

PM Sent

Here's my soon-to-be converted 12. The wood stock definitely makes a big improvement in handling. Post-conversion it will still have same foregrip with matching stock/PG

hands down that is the most beautiful thing I have seen all day!!!!! Did you make that??