I've got a few thousand Large Rifle Magnum primers from various manufacturers and almost as many Large Pistol Magnum primers. OTOH, I'm a bit low on the standard strength primers of both types.

I'm wondering if I can use these to reload .45ACP and 7.62x39. Anyone know of any drawbacks to using magnum strength primers in small capacity cartridges that really don't need them?

Also, are slam fires going to be an issue in the x39 Saiga when standard sensitivity (non-military) primers are used?

Thanks.

Bob

The magnum primers will work fine with both catridges, however you will need to adjust the amount of powder accordingly. I don't know how much you will need to adjust it for either but I am sure you can google it.

Depending on the brand of primers in question some are real soft and don't take much to set them off. I know the CCI primers are a lot harder than say a winchester or federal primer.

-E

The magnum primers will work fine with both catridges, however you will need to adjust the amount of powder accordingly. I don't know how much you will need to adjust it for either but I am sure you can google it.

Depending on the brand of primers in question some are real soft and don't take much to set them off. I know the CCI primers are a lot harder than say a winchester or federal primer.

-E

Thanks for the response, Norseman. Cutting back on the charge makes sense. With powder what it is today, I normally only put together loads with "starting" charges anyway....especially if they're to be used for practice. Maybe cut it back a little more and give it a try.

Thanks for the CCI tip. I've got a thousand or so CCI LR Magnum and will set them aside for the Saiga.

Bob