Green laser from Vector Optics

I just got a green laser from Vector Optics.

I will install it this week when I get my fore-grip with a pressure switch.

You can see this thing at least 100 yards away in broad daylight (direct sunlight). It appears to be perfect for the S-12.

At night, and in poorly lit areas, it is bright enough that you don't even need a white light. This this throws off enough light to light the room up.

It's really amazing. At night, it can be used to target A LONG WAY OFF.

I'm seriously impressed. I had no clue that this kind of power could come from such a small battery.

Next weekend I'll probably take it to the range and I'll see if I can't video it and put it on youtube.

How much did you pay for it (if you don't mind me asking), and does it have a pressure switch or a button on the actual case?

Also, where did you get it? I'm wanting to pick one up for my AK pistol.

I got it on eBay for $107 (delivered). Some importer out of San Francisco. They were very reliable for me - I'd buy from them again. It has a wire coming out of the back with a pressure switch. There are two attachments on it. One turns the laser on while you hold the switch and the other functions like an on-off switch - leaving it either on or off until the switch is pressed again.

Another Saiga owner I know has one and he said I had to get a Surefire battery for it. He said they're pricey, but for some reason the battery that comes with the laser won't take the ferocity of shooting slugs. His died after he put ten rounds through his S-12. Then, he put in the surefire battery and it's been fine ever since.

does it pop balloons like the higher priced green lasers?

I've never heard of that and haven't tried it.

However, I guarantee you that it would do damage to an intruder's optic nerve if you were able to point it in their eye.

Not that it would matter, of course, after you put two slugs into their thoracic cavity.

However, I guarantee you that it would do damage to an intruder's optic nerve if you were able to point it in their eye.

Not that it would matter, of course, after you put two slugs into their thoracic cavity.

Yea the higher end green lasers will ignite matches if you shine it on the tips and will pop balloons. The lower end lasers wont because they dont have the same power even though they say they do. This would effect just how far off you could see the dot.

like you said not that it matters but i like playing with my toys in more ways then 1.

google "green laser balloon" and you will see lots of youtube videos of this.

Laser mW Chart

The chart at the bottom shows what different mW lasers can do.

Please test and let us know. If it is actually the 532mW that it states it is I am interested in picking 1 up for that price it would be a steal especially since you said another member confirmed it will hold up to shotgun recoil.

Edited by Guero

Yea the higher end green lasers will ignite matches if you shine it on the tips and will pop balloons. The lower end lasers wont because they dont have the same power even though they say they do. This would effect just how far off you could see the dot.

like you said not that it matters but i like playing with my toys in more ways then 1.

google "green laser balloon" and you will see lots of youtube videos of this.

That's amazing. Here's one video:

This guys says his is 316mW.

Mine is advertised at 15 - 20 mW, so mine is nowhere near as powerful as this.

I happen to have some party balloons here. I'm going to try it right now, but I doubt it will be strong enough to do that.

No, mine isn't strong enough to burst the balloon, but it did put spots in my vision from reflecting off the inside of the balloon.

I happen to have some party balloons here. I'm going to try it right now, but I doubt it will be strong enough to do that.

No, mine isn't strong enough to burst the balloon, but it did put spots in my vision from reflecting off the inside of the balloon.

yea i was looking at the wavelength not the power output

it would have been a very cool toy when not on the gun if it had worked.

Would it do more damage than the 00 Buck? ;)

If you point the laser in their eye and blind them, you'd better finish the job or you'll get sued.

• Like 1

The wavelength on this one says 520 - 550 nm. That's pretty common in all green light lasers isn't it?

I hate to be a stick in the mud... but you got HOSED on the price... They can be found for about half that shipped if you look... I think I paid 65 for mine in Ebay a year or so ago... and its just as good. all the mounts, pressure switch, etc..etc... lights up 100 yards full daylight no problem , yada yadda yadda...

Shop around... they can be had a LOT cheaper...

:smoke:

The wavelength on this one says 520 - 550 nm. That's pretty common in all green light lasers isn't it?

Yes the wavelength is common the difference in units is the power output.

I hate to be a stick in the mud... but you got HOSED on the price... They can be found for about half that shipped if you look... I think I paid 65 for mine in Ebay a year or so ago... and its just as good. all the mounts, pressure switch, etc..etc... lights up 100 yards full daylight no problem , yada yadda yadda...

Shop around... they can be had a LOT cheaper...

:smoke:

What is the make and model of the one you have?

I just bought this because the other S-12 owner had it and it worked.

Would it do more damage than the 00 Buck? ;)

If you point the laser in their eye and blind them, you'd better finish the job or you'll get sued.

I know, I'm just f*ing with you :)

A bit on lasers...

The consumer lasers we can get in the inexpensive range are all use semiconductor diodes, which look like this. These diodes are the same used in any consumer electronics, like DVD burners.

Lasers are safety rated from level 1-4, based on how badly they're going to muck-up your eyes ;) Most of the lasers you get imported from Hong Kong are going to Class IIIa, anything in Class IIIb you're either going to pay out the ass for or build yourself. It is unlikely that you'd find a Class 4 laser at a hobby price point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser#Laser_safety

Wavelength is pretty much the color of the laser, there is no "better" wavelength, it is kind of like the purity of the color.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...ic-Spectrum.png

Finally there is wattage or power, this is where balloon bursting and cigar lighting come into play. Most of the Chinese lasers are going to be in the 5-20mW range, for awhile the FDA had banned importation of lasers greater than 5mW, not sure what the status of that is and I don't feel like looking up the references right now. You can find 1mW lasers in low end laser pointers and reflex sights, 5mW CD-ROM, 5-10mW DVD-ROM/player, 100mW CD-RW, 250mW DVD-RW. I'm fairly certain that you're looking at the 100mW range to get into the burning lasers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser#Examples_by_power

$100ish is a bit steep for a 15-20mW green laser. Even a 5mW in green is still super bright, even in day light. Here are a few from a store I've purchased some computer stuff from in the past...

LXGD Green Laser Sight for Guns (20mW JG-10A) @ $41.58

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5027

Mystery JG-016 5mW Green Laser Sight with Gun Mount (1*CR2 Included) @ $37.85

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13137

Armed Forces Green Laser Sight Module with Gun Mount (20mW 532nm CR123A Included) @ $45.51

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13769

I'm currently working on doing up a blue laser on-the-cheap, if it works out, I'll open a thread about it.

• 1 year later...

If you are thinking of picking up a laser more powerful than the standard green pointer, look through this guide first.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/guide-buying-your-first-green-laser-30608.html

The green ones are NOT simple laser diodes. There are a lot of rip offs and so-so vendors. They can be the right vendors to buy from though, depending on how tight you are with a dollar.

I found the web site a few weeks ago and it saved me from wasting my money on amazon.

Now if I can just find a gen 2 night vision monocular for less than $400...

The digital ones are the scam of that area

Laser mW Chart

The chart at the bottom shows what different mW lasers can do.

Please test and let us know. If it is actually the 532mW that it states it is I am interested in picking 1 up for that price it would be a steal especially since you said another member confirmed it will hold up to shotgun recoil.

They mean 532 nm which would be the wavelength of green light. According to the Vector Optics page the most powerful laser they make outputs 100mw. My 100mw 532nm laser pointer wont light matches, but will pop a black balloon (has to be black to absorb all the light) after about 10 sec. Bright enough to be clearly seen during the day and super bright at night.

Edited by Trigun5312

Lasers are safety rated from level 1-4, based on how badly they're going to muck-up your eyes ;) Most of the lasers you get imported from Hong Kong are going to Class IIIa, anything in Class IIIb you're either going to pay out the ass for or build yourself. It is unlikely that you'd find a Class 4 laser at a hobby price point.

I actually just picked up a 1 watt (1,000 mw) Class 4 laser outputting 445 nm blue light for $199. It took the damn company 113 days to ship it, but that's another story. They have since added a "smart switch" electronic safety, pulse, and low power modes, but have updated the price to $299. Although a laser this powerful can't be played with without safety goggles, it instantly lights matches, cuts electrical tape and burns wood.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/S3_Series-105-37.html

On a side note, George Lucas sent these guys a cease and desist letter cause he thought the laser looked too much like a light saber. Wicked Lasers told him to go to hell and put the letter for sale on eBay...

I actually just picked up a 1 watt (1,000 mw) Class 4 laser outputting 445 nm blue light for $199. It took the damn company 113 days to ship it, but that's another story. They have since added a "smart switch" electronic safety, pulse, and low power modes, but have updated the price to $299. Although a laser this powerful can't be played with without safety goggles, it instantly lights matches, cuts electrical tape and burns wood.

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/S3_Series-105-37.html

On a side note, George Lucas sent these guys a cease and desist letter cause he thought the laser looked too much like a light saber. Wicked Lasers told him to go to hell and put the letter for sale on eBay...

Holy crap, now all we need is a bunch of trained sharks and the world will be ours MUWHAHAHAHAHAHHA

shark.png

bdc91ddb_htf_imgcache_43320.jpeg