Side scope mounts falls off???

Have you adjusted the tension bar on the side? On most of the throw lever types you can disasemble the lever turn in the screw that tightens the rail clamp part, and put the handle back on.

Somewhere there is a page that tell how, Tantals maybe?

Some mounts just DONT FIT right....

Depends on the make of the mount and what it was designed for... I found I COULD NOT mount the AK/Saiga mount on my PSL....wouldnt slide on properly.. and wouldnt lock down tight.. always had "wiggle" in it... I was trying to mount one of them 8-32X50 target scopes on my PSL... just couldnt get it to work the mount wouldnt lock up properly...

I havent tried the other way, though...

:smoke:

Yep, you have to be careful using the scope mounts that slide on from the front, especially with the quick release. They're ok with 762x38 but not .308. The first wood Saiga "22 I bought back in '98 at the big Fall Houston gunshow came with a PSO scope that attached from the front. No matter how tight I got that thing, even cynched tight enough to gouge the rail on the rifle, and it would fall off in 2-3 shots. I only trust the type that attache from the rear and cynch down with allen bolts.

I wish there was an easy way to install a dust cover like on the Krebs KRT type. I'd like a mount that kept the rifle slimmer, the side mount is kinda bulky.

Edited by AK-treO8
  • 1 month later...
Humm, $65 huh?  sounds like you got one that says "BELARUS" on the side.  Those do come off.  Get a Russian one from Tantal or an Izsmash factory mount (that's what I did).  May have some at Gilbert's if you're interested.

You are correct, sir...It said Belarus on the side...so, wha tthe hell do I do with this thing if I have to buy another one?

I have one of the Belarus mounts it's laying in the bottom of a drawer somewhere. If I sold it I'd feel like I screwed the buyer and I hate to just throw away 50 bucks.

By the way: Its laying next to my super-tac trigger system which is anothe 40 bucks I need to throw in the garbage. I guess we learn from mistakes.

Humm, $65 huh?  sounds like you got one that says "BELARUS" on the side.  Those do come off.  Get a Russian one from Tantal or an Izsmash factory mount (that's what I did).  May have some at Gilbert's if you're interested.

Uhhh..the ones from Tantal say "Made in Belarus" on the side. And they work great...maybe I just got a good one?

You are correct, sir...It said Belarus on the side...so, wha tthe hell do I do with this thing if I have to buy another one?

Perhaps if you have the tools, you can drill and tap the mount with some screws to help LOCK it in place???

My buddy did that with his mount.. cause he didnt listen to me, and bought some half assed cheapo version...IT works, but its a pain in the balls to get off... BUT... it DOESNT COME OFF by itself anymore...

:smoke:

You didn't mention whether or not you have converted to pistol grip, but if you have then do not get a factory Saiga mount. They angle backward to work with the longer factory buttstock rather than forward like a typical AK mount. It will put the scope right on your eyebrow. For clarification I'm talking about the EAA/Saiga high mount with built-in 1"rings. Excellent for original configuration Saigas, but not so hot for the rest of us.

You didn't mention whether or not you have converted to pistol grip, but if you have then do not get a factory Saiga mount.  They angle backward to work with the longer factory buttstock rather than forward like a typical AK mount. It will put the scope right on your eyebrow. For clarification I'm talking about the EAA/Saiga high mount with built-in 1"rings. Excellent for original configuration Saigas, but not so hot for the rest of us.

I have the factory stock (wood) How do I order from EAA/Saiga?

You don't order from EAA/Saiga. Saiga/Izhmash is the Russian manufacturer and EAA is/was the importer. They only deal with wholesale accounts. Try-

Tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru

Freedomoptics.com

The above are two of the best dealers and have been around a long time.

Yep, you have to be careful using the scope mounts that slide on from the front, especially with the quick release.  They're ok with 762x38 but not .308.  The first wood Saiga "22 I bought back in '98 at the big Fall Houston gunshow came with a PSO scope that attached from the front.  No matter how tight I got that thing, even cynched tight enough to gouge the rail on the rifle, and it would fall off in 2-3 shots. I only trust the type that attache from the rear and cynch down with allen bolts. 

I wish there was an easy way to install a dust cover like on the Krebs KRT type.  I'd like a mount that kept the rifle slimmer, the side mount is kinda bulky.

I've got one of the mounts that clamp on with allen bolts, and in my opinion it's garbage.

I recently used a kvar mount to put an aimpoint on my saiga .308 and it seemed to retain it very well. The big thing to remember is that these mounts clamp on and need to be adjusted accordingly... With my PSOP it takes a mallet to remove from my .308. There is nothing graceful about any part of the AK design... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, new poster to this forum.

I recently aquired a Saiga .308 somehow through a trade and it came with the Belarus mount that slides on from the front and it comes off all the time.

I wondered if I could use the lower part that is offered on Freedomoptics.com for $20? The screw holes seem to be the same. If it slides on from the back I think it might work.

Any one used this bracket?

Thanks

Hello all, new poster to this forum.

I recently aquired a Saiga .308 somehow through a trade and it came with the Belarus mount that slides on from the front and it comes off all the time.

I wondered if I could use the lower part that is offered on Freedomoptics.com for $20? The screw holes seem to be the same. If it slides on from the back I think it might work.

Any one used this bracket?

Thanks

Here is the url (sorry havent quite gotten the hang of linking)

My Webpage

Edited by rubijeep

I got the 65 dollar scope mount, had no problems with the attachment to the gun, now getting the rail to stop wiggling off zero was another story. Took the rail off and jb welded all the parts, works fine now.

PS- hte scope mounts are soft, dont take them off and on much as the grooves wear with the friction.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Saiga side rail and a scope made in Belarus. It slides on from the rear and I have to make sure it locks into the channel in the scope mount to keep it from sliding off. I painted a guide line on the receiver to show where the scope is supposed to lock and this cured the sliding problem.

Unfortunatley the Russian scopes are mounted left of centerline which makes shooting difficult for left handers. My friend told me that in the Russian army everyone shoots right handed.

:osama::killer:

:osama::killer: