Noob conversion question

After drooling over the things for a while, I finally purchased a Saiga 12.

In the interest of making this the most politically incorrect skeet gun the world has yet known (I currently use a Remington 870 Tactical with the Knoxx SpecOps stock), I want to convert this thing to the pistol grip/standard buttstock configuration. I already have a Kobra optic and the side rail mount (should be good to assist in killing those clays).

I've converted a MAK-90 to 922r compliance by replacing the trigger group, so I'm somewhat familiar with the AK internals. I've just been trying to find answers to specific questions regarding the Saiga 12.

I plan on using the Tromix DIY trigger guard. As near as I can tell, I would need that guard, the modded G2 trigger, and any standard pistol grip and AK stock of my choice. Is this correct or am I missing something? It doesn't look like a standard AK buttstock would require the stock adapter, it looks like I should be able to just affix a stock using the existing rear trunnion. Also, has anybody tried the Red Star Arms trigger group retainer plate on the S12, or will it not fit and the Tromix shepherd's crook is the only game in town?

I tried to look up these answers, but this board format is kinda new to me and finding all the needed info isn't quite as easy as I'd hoped. I'm not worried about 922r compliance- the buttstock and 3 piece trigger group will give me the needed parts count, so that's covered. Your assistance in helping me horrify the folks with beautiful O/Us is quite appreciated. :devil:

You'll have to mod the FCG you're buying or buy one already modified. Dinzag sells a Tapco FCG that'll drop right in.

Your TG options include the Tromix, modifying the one you remove, or a modified military TG and stop. I think there's another option out there...

A normal AK stock will work, but will require fitting as most AK stocks do.

I haven't tried the retainer plate, but have used the e-clamps Dinzag has and they're a hell of a lot easier than anything I've ever tried.

Here's mine...

DSC00724.jpg

DSC00726.jpg

DSC00730.jpg

DSC00731.jpg

You'll have to mod the FCG you're buying or buy one already modified. Dinzag sells a Tapco FCG that'll drop right in.

Your TG options include the Tromix, modifying the one you remove, or a modified military TG and stop. I think there's another option out there...

A normal AK stock will work, but will require fitting as most AK stocks do.

I haven't tried the retainer plate, but have used the e-clamps Dinzag has and they're a hell of a lot easier than anything I've ever tried.

Thanks. I was planning on the Tromix fire control group. Stock fitting is no real surprise. I was just trying to figure out if it really was that easy or if I was missing some important widget that would leave me with "bag o' gun."

I used the tromix trigger guard and its really a time saver. Id say it saved me an hour vs reworking the factory guard. I recommend if you can to weld it to the chassis, or weld the nuts down so you dont have to tighten it often. If you just use locktite and the provided screws, it will loosen after shooting slugs in particular as these guns do have a lot of force and tend to shake themselves loose.

One last piece of advice, on the bolt you use to hold in the pistol grip in place, make sure its not too long. If it is, when you tighten it down, it will dimple the flat side of the guard that sits flush with the gun chassis. That puts stress on the weld or bolt and it will break the provided screws.

You can take a look at mine here, along with some info on how my conversion went.

http://earthseaphoto.com/SagaofMySaiga.htm

It sounds like you've planned for it all. Any thoughts on a muzzle device?

If you haven't done so, check out Dinzag's website. Lots of good stuff there.

Yeah, love it or hate it, it's plum furniture

No real plans yet on a muzzle device; I may go for the Poly-Choke eventually- not a real high priority.

I don't see me shooting a bunch of slugs out of the thing- I don't weld, so I'll keep an eye on those trigger plate screws too.