• 1 month later...

Not sure, haven't picked mine up yet...but I can help you with finding out...

Take a good quality rotating cleaning rod with a patch on it, insert into the bbl from the chamber end, note how many times it has rotated once you see the patch start to come out of the muzzle, divide into the BBL length, and there you have it.

16" - if it completely rotates 2 times, 16/2=8, roughly a 1 in 8 twist

PVG

I am new. I have found this page (sorry I am not sure how to make the link so you can click on it). This gives some information on the twist of the 223. I have been doing some research, as I just got the saiga 223. Acording to several of the sites that I have seen, this is too much of a twist. The recommedation for rifles in this calliber is 1-7 to -14. Supposedly the faster twist puts too much stress on the bullet and it falls apart. Has anyone noticed this?

EAA|Izhmash Russian Saiga 223 AK

Best Buy Guns Price - $242.99

Expires: July 15, 2003

Manufacturer: EAA|Izhmash Russian

Model #: Saiga 223 AK

Type: Rifle

Finish: Black

Receiver: Black

Stock: Synthetic, Black

Sights: Open Sights

Barrel Length: 16.3"

Overall Length: 37.3"

Weight: 7lbs

Additional Features 1: Rifling: 1-6

Caliber: 223

Capacity: 10+1

Action: Semi-Automatic

# of Mags: 1

1 in 6? I haven't seen anything anywhere other than EAAs Saiga page that has said what it is, can you post the url to where you got that? From what I can gather from EAAs page its 1 in 9, but don't hold me to that, I dont quite understand what they were quoteing numbers for specifically. It may also be 1in 12.8. Now I wish I would have paid closer attention in math. :rolleyes:

The 1 in 7 twist is good for bullets up over 70 grain. I havent had any keyholing or fragmented bullets that I can tell, the jacketed hollow points I used were pretty well expanded at 200 yards the other day was about the only thing I saw odd in a couple hundred rounds so far I have ran through mine. The FMJ one have all been clean and round holes.

Edited by Onepoint