Converting VS Non-Converting

first of all sure the conversion LOOKS nice... but converting my Saiga had NOTHING to do with looks... the FCG that the Saiga comes with when compared to the FCG (lets say the tapco FCG) of a converted Saiga is NIGHT AND DAY.... even if you are too afraid to do it yourself there likely people in your area who can do it for a very modest amount... Sure there are some states where you simply CAN'T convert... if you live there.. this obviously has nothing to do with you... now im not making this thread to mock people who choose not to convert your gun.. do what you want..... im making this thread so that we can discuss this somewhere OTHER than the picture thread.. lol

all this "i dont need to risk destroying my gun to move the FCG one inch forward..." that talk is garbage.... because you just don't realize how much better the weapon functions once converted...

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agreed. People guns and they do whatever they like, but unless they actually shoot a converted Saiga/AK, then they don't know the ergonomic of the converted ones. I converted my Saigas purely on ergonomic and compact and a tiny little of looks :blues: . I converted my Saigas with hand drill, center punch, hammer, hacksaw and a metal file. These are basic tools that every man should have around the house. If you like to shoots, might as well learn how to fix things yourself and reloading.

Edited by devildog1122

For me I jumped right in so I'd know all about the gun. Was a little apprehensive at first but then just figured screw it I could always pay someone to fix my mistakes. It was super easy and lots of fun. Bad thing is now I want to convert more, and more, and more. Reloading probably next on the list. Am a little behind the curve, was raised by Democrats.

I kept several of my Saigas unconverted during the ban and left them "As Is" in the trunks of cars with a handfull of OEM mags as Sport Utility Rifles but they have all since been converted but they certainly were not useless or totally undesirable in their original form.

Ok, I'll just say this: the risk of jacking up my rifle through a botched conversion job outweighs my miniscule desire to convert it.

And yeah, on top of that I don't have any tools, and seeing as how I need to buy groceries right now they're really not that high on the priority list. And yes, I have shot numerous AK's. Sure, the trigger on the Saiga sucks, but at the end of the day I can still hit what I'm aiming at..multiple times...in fast succession.

Bottom line: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just out of curiousity, how much is a "modest" amount to you?

Ok, I'll just say this: the risk of jacking up my rifle through a botched conversion job outweighs my miniscule desire to convert it.

And yeah, on top of that I don't have any tools, and seeing as how I need to buy groceries right now they're really not that high on the priority list. And yes, I have shot numerous AK's. Sure, the trigger on the Saiga sucks, but at the end of the day I can still hit what I'm aiming at..multiple times...in fast succession.

im %100 sure that there are local people doing conversions for around $100 + parts... BUT just to be clear... this post was NOT about belittling anyone who chooses not to convert.. we are living in touch times.. and yeah a roof over your head and groceries are FAR more important than gun parts.. i get that COMPLETELY...

I just opened the thread up to discuss it since there was SO much talk about it in the picture thread.. icon10.gif

I converted mine with my girfriends pink tool kit and her black n decker AA battery powered drill and the tool kit that came with the gun .The only tool I had to use of mine was my dremmel. And I did mine on the floor in the kitchen. Drilled and cut outside.

There are people in this world today that can make a complete AK47 clone in a hut in the middle of nowhere with a fire and simple tools that been around since the time jeses was alive.

The people that are scared to convert, are the same people that pay $30 plus to have some guy that rode a bus to work change their oil in their car.

41bxvqFvbIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I converted mine with my girfriends pink tool kit and her black n decker AA battery powered drill and the tool kit that came with the gun .The only tool I had to use of mine was my dremmel. And I did mine on the floor in the kitchen. Drilled and cut outside.

There are people in this world today that can make a complete AK47 clone in a hut in the middle of nowhere with a fire and simple tools that been around since the time jeses was alive.

The people that are scared to convert, are the same people that pay $30 plus to have some guy that rode a bus to work change their oil in their car.

41bxvqFvbIL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Dude, That pink tool kit is AWESOME! I'm a construction worker, and let me just tell you......that would make for an interesting day at the jobsite.

I'am a construction worker too. I started my company 2 years ago and I have tons of tools and still used her tool kit. I got that for her becase if she asked me for a hammer one more time I was going freak out. That pink tool kit is a great gag gift for the guy on the job that never has his basic tools. As a matter a fact I'am working at home today and need to get upstairs and finish this floor right now before she gets home at 5 are I'am the one going to get a ear full of shit..

Edited by havok

The risk of jacking up your rifle is is small but the difficulty lies in finding high quality parts.Try to find a real AK74 or AK104 Gas Block right now and see ho wfar you get.

Anybody(and I do mean anybody) can convert a Saiga very easily but there is no point unless you are using quality components.

The risk of jacking up your rifle is is small but the difficulty lies in finding high quality parts.Try to find a real AK74 or AK104 Gas Block right now and see ho wfar you get.

Anybody(and I do mean anybody) can convert a Saiga very easily but there is no point unless you are using quality components.

Yeah, I mean don't get me wrong. I'd like to convert my Saiga. I've got a shooting buddy with a converted Saigas and it feels nice, but right now I don't the $$ to convert. It would probably cost me about 200 for all the tools and parts I'd need, and that's 200$ I don't have. Sure, I just put a whole bunch of crap on my Saiga but I've been saving up for a while for all that, and I'd rather have those upgrades than have a base converted Saiga. A conversion is probably in my future, but I just don't think it's as big a deal as alot of people make it out to be, and I can talk from experience as I've shot both converted, non-converted Saigas and "real" Ak's.

It would probably cost me about 200 for all the tools and parts I'd need, and that's 200$ I don't have.

I see this excuse ALL the time. "I don't have money for tools."

That is where the "Saiga Forum Friends Network" comes into play.

Let's face it: You can convert your Saiga with full uses-any-mag 922r compliance for less than $60 in parts. Will it be pretty? Don't get me started on that one. Will it be functional? You bet.

I also mainly did it for the trigger pull, and to shorten up the overall length a might. I had a G2 FCG in my WASR and it was great! While the PG conversion is great and I am glad I did it, if it weren't for the trigger pull of the factory, I probably would have left it with a T6 Tapco and SAW grip partial conversion. I would still have put the bullet guide in and modified it for mil-surp mags like I did.

I started with a 16" .223, and I did the Tapco non-converted stock on it, and the ergo was garbage. Then I got the 7.62 and did the whole sha-bang. A completely converted Saiga feels like a warm vagina.

Conversion or no conversion, don't waste your time trying to do the middle route (stock FCG/cool stock). Either keep it stock, or the whole conversion.

I'm not going to convert my rifle. Why? I just don't like the pistol grip over a monte-carlo style stock. I was raised shooting ordinarily stocked rifles, I'm more comfortable shooting monte-carlo stocked rifles. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. There isn't anything wrong with unconverted Saiga's, I've got a deer to prove it.

Anyone who thinks they're "ugly", "newbie", or "wannabe" rifles, go to hell. You stay on your lawn I'll stay on mine. I don't tell you what I think of your putting $500 dollars worth of accessories on an AK Clone.

Edited by Paladin_Hammer

I don't see how not converting the rifle makes it not a Saiga as some of you act like. It's still an AK if it's not converted, it's still going to shoot, (unless you messed it up), it's still going to do the job you need it to do. You don't need your gun to look "pretty". Besides, when the confiscations start going around, I rather lose a gun I spent maybe 30 minutes on, than a gun I spent a couple days on. But that's if they can get it out of my hands... :haha:

If someone simply doesn't want to convert their rifle....fine. It doesn't effect me any.

It's when I see the "I want to convert, but don't have the know-how to do it" type posts that I usually reply, urging them to do it. I think people get caught up, and think it's a massive undertaking, totally modifying the gun itself. Which is not the case, you're not really doing anything too invasive, or difficult. People sell themselves short, and don't think they can do it. I was in that boat when I joined here, too.

So here's my take on it..................

If you don't want to convert it, are happy with the way it is, and it fulfills the role you bought it for......then I see no reason you should.

But if you want to do the conversion, just do it. There's endless info here to help you, and crap-tons of members here willing to help with any questions/problems you may come across. Read around, watch the vid in my sig line, and DO WORK!

A basic conversion can be easily done with only a hand drill, a file, a punch (which many other things can substituted for this) and a screw driver for the PG and buttstock. These are tools that are pretty common in the average household. If not, I'm sure you know someone with them.

Besides, when the confiscations start going around, I rather lose a gun I spent maybe 30 minutes on, than a gun I spent a couple days on. But that's if they can get it out of my hands... :haha:

A couple days for a conversion?!?!?!?

Okay, so now that you have me feeling like I should have bought a converted AK instead of my Saiga 7.62 (even after I thought I had done my homework... damn rush to do everything attitude), what do you think the cost of having a professional make the conversion would be (I to am behind the curve - when my father tried to teach me how to shoot as a kid it wound up with me teaching him basic gun safety!)?

Who is the best at doing this? - even if it is a matter of shipping it off (to someone who could be trusted of course).

Seriously, if I can successfully execute a conversion, anybody can... I've converted all three of my Saigas. It really is no problem and there is no excuse for not doing it. The benefits far outweigh the minimal chances of jacking it up. I was apprehensive on my first conversion, and after it was done, I was like, "What was all the fuss about??" It went like total clock work.

Here's a nice simple writeup. Should help alleviate any fears.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=37929&hl=

post-16572-1240497769_thumb.jpg

Edited by gothchick

^ Nice set.

Who is the best at doing this? - even if it is a matter of shipping it off (to someone who could be trusted of course).

Check the business section, it's full of vendors that do conversions.

If I wind up being happy with the feel and look of a Saiga pistol grip stock (being shipped now), and the fact that I have mags that fit a non-converted Saiga, then what reason is there left to convert? So far I have not heard that a conversion will add to the performance or accuracy of the shooter.

So here is my question - What mods do add to the performance and accuracy of the Saiga 7.62 (and let's assume that my ergonomics are just fine with the new stock I am getting soon - different people have different frames afterall)?

If I wind up being happy with the feel and look of a Saiga pistol grip stock (being shipped now), and the fact that I have mags that fit a non-converted Saiga, then what reason is there left to convert? So far I have not heard that a conversion will add to the performance or accuracy of the shooter.

So here is my question - What mods do add to the performance and accuracy of the Saiga 7.62 (and let's assume that my ergonomics are just fine with the new stock I am getting soon - different people have different frames afterall)?

If it's legal to do it in your state, convert it, imo. There are several advantages to a converted Saiga, all due to the fact tht the rifle is then the way it was designed to be, minus selective fire. The trigger pull is smoother and more natural, there are fewer parts involved, the weapon is shorter, the forward position of the pistol grip gives the weapon a more natural balance and makes it easier to handle, etc, etc, etc.

If you have mags for non-converted, sell them and buy some steel combloc 30 round standard AK mags. They're pretty cheap, tough, and reliable.

Just my $0.02 on the subject.

As for already having saiga mags, I modified mine to take mil-surp (modified catch and added bullet guide) and factory still work perfect. As for the grip, it is a personal thing. I actually like the T6 with SAW grip I had on my 223 Saiga. If it were for trigger pull and the fact that it made me reach too far forward when I put a forward grip on (as the grip had to be far enough forward to allow the magazine to rock forward, I probably would not have bothered.

I did convert it, and did convert the 7.62x39 I traded it for to get (with a WASR in the middle of the trade). I am happy but understand not converting it.

semi converted 223

HGSaiga1.jpg

converted 223

Saiga1.jpg

converted 7.62x39

SaigaConversionAMD.jpg

Edited by imarangemaster

I like to consider myself a rifleman. I have never killed a man with a rifle, but I have killed animals in 5 countries with them. Also competition shoots ranging from varmint, to high power distance, to 3-gun. As well as hundreds of hours of tactical training. I know enough to understand the importance of trigger control and follow through even during rapid-fire at close distance.

I can say one thing with CERTAINTY about every rifleman I know; They understand the importance of a great trigger. Sights, optics, breathing, position stability, loads, ranging - means NOTHING if you do not have a trigger that is consistent, sharp, and controllable. The factory Saiga trigger is inconsistent, gritty, and BARELY controllable.

Trigger pull on a factory Saiga is comparable to a .38 snub revolver. Trigger pull with a G2 installed on a converted rifle is more like a 1911 (with a little more take-up of course).

I have no problem with people wanting to leave their guns unconverted, I have a couple of unconverted ones myself, and they work regardless. What I do disagree with is those who claim that there are no advantages to a converted Saiga. LOP, ergonomics, handling, and overall length are other benefits to the conversion.

If you have no rifle marksmanship training or experience (like most gun owners) and the factory trigger seems good to you, that is fine. What some of the more experienced rifle guys are trying to tell you about converting is that it makes the Saiga a BETTER rifle.

It almost seems like some folks keep trying to justify not converting, and the sad news for you is that you will not find much justification here.