Converting VS Non-Converting

DamagedWorld,

I agree with you completely. Conversion is better, not expensive (especially if you do it a little at a time 1st PG, stock and FCG, then the rest as you can), and handles superior. I don't disagree with the substance at all. I agree everyone, including Gothchick has a right to their opinion, and a right to express it. BigSal is certainly the high priest of conversion, and as strident as his posts get, they are humorous and non-offensive, so they don't bother me a bit.

I merely don't like people to insult, humiliate, and bully people who have a different opinion. I spent twenty years putting bullies who victimize people in jail, and don't care for them. Noobs come here for answers, not disrespect and insults.

I came to this board last November as a Saiga noob and learned a lot. I had years experience as an armorer and rangemaster both police and military. The M16 platforms, M-1/2 Carbines, M3s SMG, MP5, Glocks, Beretta, 1911s, ad infinitum, I knew intimately in varying degrees. Not much of that experience, however, was with AKs, and none with Saigas. That's why I joined this forum, as did most of the other members. Since November I have learned (and am learning) much. I have converted a 223 and 7.62x39, due to the help and ENCOURAGEMENT I received on this forum.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to go Half-baked for awhile on my incoming FIRST Saiga x39.

Dinzag G2 FCGNPG1 for Non-Converted Saiga (+2 on 922r). $62

(+1 on 922r) $60

NULL $72 (last)

I can then just run Surefire's and be below 10 on the 922r and still look Kewl till I get $$

I could just do the TAPCO stock $62 and Surefires $XX and still be at less than 10.

Still up in the air until I get the x39 in hand... Basically.

To each there own.. And as time/money allow I will surely remod mine.

forget the chinese made handgaurd.....

also you can do an actual conversion for less than the money you listed out..

Most parts that I've seen aren't cheap.

I've seen minimum of $80-100 for T6 regular stock and then PG for $XX, Folders are $140+ (ex Ace). The basic AK FCG is $30 with no retainer $10.

Then for me being NEW and not wanting to destroy a $420+ rifle that I had to PUT ON LAYAWAY to get.... $134 for Fusion T6 and DZ Reg FCG total w/retainer inc.. Kinda hard to beat.

If you can please show me a few links for a FOLDER and a G2 DROP-IN FCG (aka no BHO clearance problems) w/retainer plate for under $150?? I'd appreciate it and sure others here would also.

P.S. I like the UTG HG its my preferred style is all.

Edited by YouWontHearItComing
DamagedWorld,

I agree with you completely. Conversion is better, not expensive (especially if you do it a little at a time 1st PG, stock and FCG, then the rest as you can), and handles superior. I don't disagree with the substance at all. I agree everyone, including Gothchick has a right to their opinion, and a right to express it. BigSal is certainly the high priest of conversion, and as strident as his posts get, they are humorous and non-offensive, so they don't bother me a bit.

I merely don't like people to insult, humiliate, and bully people who have a different opinion. I spent twenty years putting bullies who victimize people in jail, and don't care for them. Noobs come here for answers, not disrespect and insults.

I came to this board last November as a Saiga noob and learned a lot. I had years experience as an armorer and rangemaster both police and military. The M16 platforms, M-1/2 Carbines, M3s SMG, MP5, Glocks, Beretta, 1911s, ad infinitum, I knew intimately in varying degrees. Not much of that experience, however, was with AKs, and none with Saigas. That's why I joined this forum, as did most of the other members. Since November I have learned (and am learning) much. I have converted a 223 and 7.62x39, due to the help and ENCOURAGEMENT I received on this forum.

as i stated i agree that the over the top offensive tone needs to go..

DamagedWorld,

as i stated i agree that the over the top offensive tone needs to go..

:lolol: I don't think I qualify as the "high priest" of conversion as Ive really only done one myself from start to finish, but its good to hear Im not offending anyone. Gothchick rules btw! :smoke:

Ok Damage... I found Buttstock T6, HG, and PG for $80 at dpharms. FCG would be $50 for a Tromix already milled/shaved for BHO etc. and $11 for the Retainer. Totals $141 and then shipping.

Hence my debate. Let me get the rifle first.

I want a Poly Desert Tan Stock and PG (with out painting)... hmmm.

Still want the UTG for Mall Ninja look.. Lol

Going to go Half-baked for awhile on my incoming FIRST Saiga x39.

Dinzag G2 FCGNPG1 for Non-Converted Saiga (+2 on 922r). $62

(+1 on 922r) $60

NULL $72 (last)

I can then just run Surefire's and be below 10 on the 922r and still look Kewl till I get $$

I could just do the TAPCO stock $62 and Surefires $XX and still be at less than 10.

Still up in the air until I get the x39 in hand... Basically.

To each there own.. And as time/money allow I will surely remod mine.

forget the chinese made handgaurd.....

also you can do an actual conversion for less than the money you listed out..

Most parts that I've seen aren't cheap.

I've seen minimum of $80-100 for T6 regular stock and then PG for $XX, Folders are $140+ (ex Ace). The basic AK FCG is $30 with no retainer $10.

Then for me being NEW and not wanting to destroy a $420+ rifle that I had to PUT ON LAYAWAY to get.... $134 for Fusion T6 and DZ Reg FCG total w/retainer inc.. Kinda hard to beat.

If you can please show me a few links for a FOLDER and a G2 DROP-IN FCG (aka no BHO clearance problems) w/retainer plate for under $150?? I'd appreciate it and sure others here would also.

P.S. I like the UTG HG its my preferred style is all.

i guess the problem is you are comparing apples to oranges and weighing looks over function... AND you LISTED FCG in your list of parts...

for what YOU listed as your parts list.. you were up to $120+ BEFORE the front rail..

tapco stock $33

Saw grip $22

FCG $52

Retainer Plate $12

PG nut $6

which works out to be $125 which is a whopping $5 more than the route you want to take... if you really want the adjustable tapco stock which IMO is not so good ad another $10 or so..

www.dinzagarms.com

Ok Damage... I found Buttstock T6, HG, and PG for $80 at dpharms. FCG would be $50 for a Tromix already milled/shaved for BHO etc. and $11 for the Retainer. Totals $141 and then shipping.

Hence my debate. Let me get the rifle first.

I want a Poly Desert Tan Stock and PG (with out painting)... hmmm.

Still want the UTG for Mall Ninja look.. Lol

im just trying to help you here..

:smoke:

Gothchick, I think what these guys are trying to say is... "SHOW ME YER TITS!!!"

:lolol: Sure, tits are always cool. But what I'm trying to say is, just buy a SGL20 while they're available, and don't worry about a conversion. They're pretty much guaranteed top quality, (since they're from Legion/Arsenal rather than just Izhmash), and they have dimples, a threaded barrel, bayo lug, and include the best x39 poly mag available, (a "circle-10" 30 round mag), they are well worth the cost.

Gothchick, I think what these guys are trying to say is... "SHOW ME YER TITS!!!"

:lolol: Sure, tits are always cool. But what I'm trying to say is, just buy a SGL20 while they're available, and don't worry about a conversion. They're pretty much guaranteed top quality, (since they're from Legion/Arsenal rather than just Izhmash), and they have dimples, a threaded barrel, bayo lug, and include the best x39 poly mag available, (a "circle-10" 30 round mag), they are well worth the cost.

Don't mind me none,fellas. Just tryin' to create a small diversion from some of the heat in here. Gothchick, don't mind me none, either. I used to be the guy at some of the biker shindigs holding up a sign with that very saying. (LOL)

They're pretty much guaranteed top quality, (since they're from Legion/Arsenal rather than just Izhmash), and they have dimples, a threaded barrel, bayo lug, and include the best x39 poly mag available, (a "circle-10" 30 round mag), they are well worth the cost.

I'll agree with most of what you said here.

Arsenal?

They can pound sand.

They've got you and thousands of others believing that their >$200 rifle is worth more than all the others (this includes the vaunted SGL10/20, too). They're not.

Legion is a division of Izhmash (Think S&W Performance Center or Colt's Custom Shop) and the only thing Arsenal did was cut a deal with them to get these rifles here.

They're pretty much guaranteed top quality, (since they're from Legion/Arsenal rather than just Izhmash), and they have dimples, a threaded barrel, bayo lug, and include the best x39 poly mag available, (a "circle-10" 30 round mag), they are well worth the cost.

I'll agree with most of what you said here.

Arsenal?

They can pound sand.

They've got you and thousands of others believing that their >$200 rifle is worth more than all the others (this includes the vaunted SGL10/20, too). They're not.

Legion is a division of Izhmash (Think S&W Performance Center or Colt's Custom Shop) and the only thing Arsenal did was cut a deal with them to get these rifles here.

Yeah, whatever works. I don't have any kind of special love for Arsenal, (the finish they put on this SGL20 sucks, to be perfectly honest), but the custom fitting of parts that Legion accomplished makes my rifle a very nice Russian weapon.

Ah, are y'all still having this conversion cost debate? Just make things easy on yourself and buy one of these. :smoke:

That particular auction is actually pretty nice, as it includes the AK74 type muzzle brake, (~$65-80 value).

id rather just build mine...

Nah, in that fucked up state where you live, you couldn't legally order and own an SGL20 if you wanted to. :haha:

the only thing Arsenal did was cut a deal with them to get these rifles here.

I thought Arsenal adds their own fire control group, receiver cover, front handguard and buttstock. In addition they add a muzzle brake or a US made Muzle nut on some models...

Basically, they make a good product.

the only thing Arsenal did was cut a deal with them to get these rifles here.

I thought Arsenal adds their own fire control group, receiver cover, front handguard and buttstock. In addition they add a muzzle brake or a US made Muzle nut on some models...

Basically, they make a good product.

Are you sure? This is not an isolated incident.

Yeah, but it was fun. :-)

Hey Gothchick. Your a troll hiding behind your keyboard. I dropped a dime on you to the moderator. I suspect they will check your posts. New folks come here to learn, not be insulted! I believe in live and let live, and everyone has a right to an opinion. You, however, go beyond acceptable limits.

Haha. That's pretty funny when a girl makes a grown man run away crying for his mommie (or moderator in this case). Too funny. Welcome to teh interwebz, now learn to grow a pair. lol.

post-16572-1241527476.jpg

Edited by gothchick
Ah, are y'all still having this conversion cost debate? Just make things easy on yourself and buy one of these. :smoke:

That particular auction is actually pretty nice, as it includes the AK74 type muzzle brake, (~$65-80 value).

Because anything Arsenal Inc has touched has the smell of FAIL all over it?

SLR-107URUnusableGasBlockThreads2.jpg

Better to run a stock unconverted Saiga and keep your warranty than to get one that those Arsenal crooks have had their booger hooks on for 3x the price...

Edited by SOPMOD

Hey Gothchick. Your a troll hiding behind your keyboard. I dropped a dime on you to the moderator. I suspect they will check your posts. New folks come here to learn, not be insulted! I believe in live and let live, and everyone has a right to an opinion. You, however, go beyond acceptable limits.

Haha. That's pretty funny when a girl makes a grown man run away crying for his mommie (or moderator in this case). Too funny. Welcome to teh interwebz, now learn to grow a pair. lol.

Your Avatars make me want to run away and cry to my mommie,LOL

Even if I had the $995 to by an Arsenal I wouldn't, I rather DESTROY a $450 rifle (do a PG myself) then pay DOUBLE.

And I'm a broke bastard.

Just found out work is cutting 5 hours from everyone so i'll be short $45/clear a week more from my check; $211 clear about $111/wk after car pmt.... Damn...

Edited by YouWontHearItComing
Even if I had the $995 to by an Arsenal I wouldn't, I rather DESTROY a $450 rifle (do a PG myself) then pay DOUBLE.

And I'm a broke bastard.

Just found out work is cutting 5 hours from everyone so i'll be down $45/clear a week from my check.... Damn...

You could buy two regular Saigas for the price of one of those "Pre-Arse-Anal-ised" Inc abortions and still have your RAAC warranty(which they will honor by the way and Arsenal WILL NOT!)

Edited by SOPMOD

And I'm a broke bastard.

Just found out work is cutting 5 hours from everyone so i'll be down $45/clear a week from my check.... Damn...

You could buy two regular Saigas for the price of one of those "Pre-Arse-Anal-ised" Inc abortions and still have your RAAC warranty(which they will honor by the way and Arsenal WILL NOT!)

lol SOPMOD, the messed up Arsenal krink you got has really nothing to do with the SGL20. Arsenal doesn't build em, (like they did your problematic krink), Legion custom rifle shop does.

As for a warranty, I've got Davidson's Lifetime Replacement Guarantee on my rifle. I'm very satisfied with that.

Have you ever actually inspected and/or fired a SGL20?

Edited by post-apocalyptic

And I'm a broke bastard.

lol SOPMOD, the messed up Arsenal krink you got has really nothing to do with the SGL20. Arsenal doesn't build em, (like they did your problematic krink), Legion custom rifle shop does.

As for a warranty, I've got Davidson's Lifetime Replacement Guarantee on my rifle. I'm very satisfied with that.

Have you ever actually inspected and/or fired a SGL20?

Arsenal, Inc doesn't build any of the rifles it offers. Arsenal of Bulgaria does. All Arsenal, Inc of Las Vegas NV does is 922r-ize them (just like Century 922r-izes the WASR, but doesn't have anything to do with the canted stuff).

hahahaha! You really are pathetic. I don't need a pair, as I already have one! By the way, I had the balls to tell you up front that I dropped a dime on the moderator (that's his job, to moderate).

Crying? you are sorely miscalculating; that is the sound of laughing at you! Amazing how brave people are on the internet. By the way, thanks for changing your avitar, some of us found it annoying, but that is what made it attractive for you, I bet! Got to love our First Amendment rights.

Edited by imarangemaster
not to state the obvious.. but its an ak... do you really need a warranty..

Need a warranty for an AK? Probably not. But having a guarantee that my rifle will be replaced, (not just repaired), should it ever have some unforseen problem is definitely nice. I'm glad that I've got Davidson's to deal with if I ever need to, instead of just Arsenal Inc, who appear to be assholes judging from Sopmod's experience.

At any rate.. I still stand by my assertion that SGL20's are some of the highest quality stamped receiver semi-auto AK's available anywhere. Arsenal just imports them, Izhmash's custom rifle shop builds them.

Edited by post-apocalyptic
not to state the obvious.. but its an ak... do you really need a warranty..

Need a warranty for an AK? Probably not. But having a guarantee that my rifle will be replaced, (not just repaired), should it ever have some unforseen problem is definitely nice. I'm glad that I've got Davidson's to deal with if I ever need to, instead of just Arsenal Inc, who appear to be assholes judging from Sopmod's experience.

At any rate.. I still stand by my assertion that SGL20's are some of the highest quality stamped receiver semi-auto AK's available anywhere. Arsenal just imports them, Izhmash's custom rifle shop builds them.

I tend to agree. Yes, other arsenal products have had issues. But the SGL series really combines the best thing arsenal has (their high end furniture and FCG) and Izhmash's rifling. I have only seen one in person though, so take my assessment for what its worth.

By the way, Im betting the SGL-30's will have the folding stocks found on the SLR series arsenal products.... :smoke: