Converting VS Non-Converting

Oh, by the way. I noticed that you reverting to your old avitar occurred after the moderators received my posts. Shucks, I thought you did it just to be nice! have a great day!
Lol. What are you talking about? My avitar is the same as it always was. The mods have ignored your whining and crying, like the rest of us. Might wanna try again there slick. Lol.

post-16572-1241640064.jpg

Edited by gothchick
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well

I have to admit that avatar is not what I would call Lady like.

But...if the Gothchick thinks that is the Visual she wants associated with how we would picture her...its her choice.

I am an old school kind of guy...and as such, I tent to see and treat women in a much more respectful manner.

(We now return you to the regular convert or not convert Channel)..LOL

Old Jim

Oh, by the way. I noticed that you reverting to your old avitar occurred after the moderators received my posts. Shucks, I thought you did it just to be nice! have a great day!
Lol. What are you talking about? My avitar is the same as it always was. The mods have ignored your whining and crying, like the rest of us. Might wanna try again there slick. Lol.

You weren't listening! It was laughing, not crying! have a nice day, dearie! :rolleyes:

^ Damn, I wish ya both would just cease fire. I didn't think that the turd had been flushed because a mod told ya to do it, gothchick, but I was happy to see it go. Now I see it's bobbed back to the surface.

:horror:

:haha: Cease fire? Hell no, this is a funny thread! :haha:

Just to keep this thread popping away:

1)Each of us has only so much money to spend (unless someone here is a politician).

2)The stock Saiga is a very good and reasonably priced gun built on an exceptionally reliable platform.

3)Conditions are such in this country that we may shortly have an actual need for firearms to defend what we have and those important to us.

4)Only a gun that is at hand when we really need it is of value when these self-defense situations arise.

5)Openly toting a gun everywhere is frowned upon in our society.

That said, I'd rather have a bone-stock Saiga ready to go with 500-1000 rounds in:

a)each house that I own

b)the back of both trucks

c)the barn

d)and maybe buried in a field somewhere

than have fewer converted Saigas.

I am NOT going to convert a half-dozen Saigas, even though:

a)the trigger would be better

b)the balance would be better (subjective - I prefer muzzle heavy for marksmanship)

c)the looks would be better (subjective - I prefer the SKS and Garand look)

d)the handling would be better

For the cost & effort of converting a half dozen of these things, I could easily afford one or two more.

I would like all my Saigas to be the same so that none would be unique in their handling, maintenance or operation....and so they could share parts. I'd like to be able to grab any of them in total darkness and know immediately how to make it do what it does. BTW, there are some rather large organizations that approach this problem the same way.

Though I agree with some of what each of you say, my conclusion, based on my needs/perceptions, is different. To each his own.

Bob

Edited by 555JM

Waranty wise: I do think it's a good idea to put 100 rounds or so thru the rifle before conversion so if anything major pops up, RAA will fix it.

Price wise, I'd say for a bare minimum conversion $120 including shipping and hardware is probably a realistic number.

$60-ish for the Grip+Stock

$30 for the G2 (there isn't any compelling reason to put the BHO back in)

$25 for a Dinzag bullet guide.

That said, I'd rather have a bone-stock Saiga ready to go .... I am NOT going to convert a half-dozen Saigas, ...

Well Bob, at least you have a plan. However, a firearm not at hand is almost useless and what you have discribed is a lot of firearms to arm others. Hopefully they will not be truned on you.

That said, I'd rather have a bone-stock Saiga ready to go with 500-1000 rounds in:

a)each house that I own

b)the back of both trucks

c)the barn

d)and maybe buried in a field somewhere

if you have one in the "back of both trucks" why not just have one and move it where you need it moved.. seems silly to have 5+ guns when you only have 2 hands....

That said, I'd rather have a bone-stock Saiga ready to go .... I am NOT going to convert a half-dozen Saigas, ...

Well Bob, at least you have a plan. However, a firearm not at hand is almost useless and what you have discribed is a lot of firearms to arm others. Hopefully they will not be truned on you.

1.I had a lot of firearms before I ever heard of Saigas

2.I'm expecting some will be turned on me. The plan is to impose some cost on doing so.

3.Don't want to be the only one at MY gunfight without a gun.

if you have one in the "back of both trucks" why not just have one and move it where you need it moved.. seems silly to have 5+ guns when you only have 2 hands....

See #5) in my post.

Carrying a rifle back and forth to wherever you're going to need it is neither convenient nor wise in this day & age. Better to have 'em securely stashed at multiple locations you can easily get to. Then, if surprised and the home fortress is overrun, the means to mount a counterattack will be available if escape becomes possible. I'm thinking breakdown of law and order, here....that's the context.

Short of that extreme, there's another issue. If the goblins were merely local hoods, being known as "the guy who's always moving that black gun around" might have some benefits. Not so much when it attracts the attention of the PC crowd and their legal arm.

Besides, 5+ Saigas will be useful should I ever need to arm a posse......

Edited by 555JM

as long as people are happy with their guns it's fine with me....ignorance is bliss.

for collecting/hunting/fun purposes, the more guns the better. for survival a few well designed guns that are peaked is preferable. if shit goes down, I can put my 4 pistols on me, throw my shotgun over my shoulder and be at ready with my AK.... whatever the wife wants she can take but screw having guns for others. anyone I'd want in a militia/posse would show up armed, I may shot to death but it won't be with my own gun

to each their own I suppose

I'd just like to know one thing..after you convert can you use regular AK stocks? Someone told me you couldn't.

That is one of the primary purposes of conversion.

Yep, along with the ability to use standard steel mil-surp mags, various AK grips, etc. You're no longer restricted to the pricier, Saiga-specific accessories.

See #5) in my post.

Carrying a rifle back and forth to wherever you're going to need it is neither convenient nor wise in this day & age. Better to have 'em securely stashed at multiple locations you can easily get to. Then, if surprised and the home fortress is overrun, the means to mount a counterattack will be available if escape becomes possible. I'm thinking breakdown of law and order, here....that's the context.

Short of that extreme, there's another issue. If the goblins were merely local hoods, being known as "the guy who's always moving that black gun around" might have some benefits. Not so much when it attracts the attention of the PC crowd and their legal arm.

Besides, 5+ Saigas will be useful should I ever need to arm a posse......

if you are not breaking the law you have nothing to worry about...

if you ARE breaking the law then you are just being silly and opening yourself up to problems..

Please grow up or leave.

I finally had my Saiga rifle converted. DamagedWorld was nice enough to do the conversion work for me, as I have zero experience with any form of gunsmithing.(Thanks again for your help) The gun looks great. I haven't had the time to take the new conversion to the range to shoot yet, but I shot about a hundred rounds through the gun before the conversion, and I can feel the difference just by picking the gun up.

I definitely find the handling to be better, I can shoulder the rifle much faster. I can line up the sights much faster and easier without the longer sporter style stock. The pistol grip of course makes it easier to hold. The trigger is completely different and feels very smooth. The new trigger feels far better than the original. I'll give a better and more detailed report after I take it to the range and shoot it.

The Conversion parts used

AK Original Style Stock - When I first got the stock in the mail I thought that it looked far two small. Its maybe about two to two and a half inches shorter than the regular sporter stock, but after I shouldered the gun after conversion, the stock felt perfect.

Tapco SAW Style Pistol Grip - The tapco grip is great and fits my hand well. I had actually bought an original style ak pistol grip before this one, but it was too small for my hand.

Tapco G2 Trigger Group

AK Retainer Plate

MySaiga762x39.jpg

^ Nice job.

It's one thing to promote conversion of Saigas, and to tell people who buy them to "convert or die, muthafucka!" :D

It's quite another to actually perform the conversion for a fellow member of this board.

Props to DamagedWorld. Way to walk the walk, man. :up:

^ Nice job.

It's one thing to promote conversion of Saigas, and to tell people who buy them to "convert or die, muthafucka!" :D

It's quite another to actually perform the conversion for a fellow member of this board.

Props? DamagedWorld kept all the fun and enjoyment for himself.

To be honest, I don't convert for anyone who comes over for help.

I just stand by and let them do it themselves. I may demonstrate how to put a part in, but then I pull it out and let the person do it themselves (I'm mean that way).

Nobody has f*****d it up yet, even the guys who swore when they arrived that they were fumble-fingered and unable to use tools.

^ Nice job.

I just stand by and let them do it themselves. I may demonstrate how to put a part in, but then I pull it out and let the person do it themselves (I'm mean that way).

Nobody has f*****d it up yet, even the guys who swore when they arrived that they were fumble-fingered and unable to use tools.

he was really unsure and just not really comfortable with it.. im sure that once he has some more experience with the rifle he will tackle some projects for it on his own..

Well, I didn't want to attempt the conversion myself, because I'm a bit of an unusual case. Up until about six months ago I was almost completely blind. It had been that way for more than eight years of my life, and I just turned 23. I had some emergency eye surgery, that actually fixed the problem and now my sight is almost perfect. So when I say I have zero experience gunsmithing, I also mean I have zero experience with any tools, even basic ones, or any form of building something with your hands. I didn't want to mess up the rifle, it is my first one, and I don't know if I can afford another anytime soon. I'm very satisfied with the way things turned out, the gun looks and feels great. Also, in case there is ever a new and more extreme assault weapons ban, I can get the rifle grandfathered in, because you know those pistol grips are deadly killers.....

^ Nice job.

he was really unsure and just not really comfortable with it.. im sure that once he has some more experience with the rifle he will tackle some projects for it on his own..

way to go Damaged! You are a gentleman of the first order!

SMW421, be sure to pass the favor forward in some way to some one. That will keep your Karma good!

he has nothing to worry about.. his karma is good..