Saiga Conversion Questions

Just finished my conversion, two issues I could use some advice on.

1. Safety lever comes too far up in the safe position, it still functions though. Is this a common problem on a conversion?

2. I have the Tapco collapsible stock, with the Surefire Gen 1 handgaurd. I want to put a sling on it. Where would you mount the front sling attachment that comes with the Tapco Stock. Is there a better attachment point?

1. Safety lever comes too far up in the safe position, it still functions though. Is this a common problem on a conversion?

I noticed that the safety lever did that before I converted mine, nothing to do with the conversion.

You could drill a small divot in the scribe line on the receiver so that the lever stops (detents) before it

runs off of the upper edge of the receiver.

I was going to do that, but then I figured that I never use the safety anyway, why bother? :)

Edited by Spartacus

Ya, has nothing to do with conversion, i did the detent thing, works well

post-16476-1240475789_thumb.jpgpost-16476-1240475817_thumb.jpg

sory cant help on your other ?

Edited by proal

You know, the safety lever is supposed to go all the way into the top cover so that it blocks the bolt and functions as a dust cover for the ejection port.

F2.jpg

Edited by BobAsh

Ya, has nothing to do with conversion, i did the detent thing, works well

post-16476-1240475789_thumb.jpgpost-16476-1240475817_thumb.jpg

sory cant help on your other ?

Nice conversion. Are you planning on installing a safety lever stop eventually?

+1 gothchick....I'm more concerned with the selector lever running off the bottom edge than the top of the receiver. Like Bob said, it's supposed to go up the far on the S-12 because it serves more than one purpose.

The thing that always bugged me about the factory configuration, and most of the conversions I see (where people put the stop inside the TG), is the selector is allowed to dip below the edge of the receiver at the front end of it. It does not need to go down that far to clear the trigger and allow the gun to be fired. On my first conversion I went with the classic AK style selector stop, with a little custom touch... :devil: ... and also the notch in the receiver.

post-1293-1240491527_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1240491551_thumb.jpg

Normally what I like to do on a basic conversion though, is move the selector stop forward to just behind the mag catch block. This keeps the selector on the receiver at the bottom of it's travel.

post-1293-1240491568_thumb.jpg