Metal 5 and 8 round magazines

It does look good with a maple stock. I also think it would look good with my ace stock, (if I can ever get it painted).

My S20 has been sitting in the back for too long. The ace stock will help, but it also needs some more mags.

So I am going to follow this thread with interest.

If you want to sell them unfinished, that would be cool. I am a home park and gun-kote/duracoat WECSOGer from way back.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its going to be awhile still. (meaning a couple months for some real world testing, not forever).   The mags are not totally straight, they have a constant curve its just not that drastic a curve. T

I'll have a better idea the exact retail once we get the quotes back from laser cutter ect.   Probably close to the cost of the saiga .308 magazines. $50 give or take a little.

Just a heads up to testers.

We sent the test mags out yesterday.

They will be a little wobbly, we want to know how wobbly they are in your shotguns. Its very complicated to change sizes so we need some feed back, it takes two 40+ hour weeks plus about $500-600 in material to make a change in thickness so we would like to get it in one shot. If you have a feeler gauge that would be awesome, if not layers of 20lb printer paper would be helpful (count the layers to make it snug)

The other thing we are looking for is feed. If you have low feeds I'd like to know where in the mag they happen (first round loaded in the mag is 1 the last round loaded is number 8). Obviously use shells that your gun feeds. Watch the rims of the shells as you load them, they MUST go in the track at the back.

Odds are once we get this run of info back we will make one more run of test mags just to make sure (probably a dozen or so). I'll put you on the contact list for that.

I don't know exactly when that will be for sure, hopefully in a month or two. We have to cut new dies with alterations.... Not something I'm looking forward to. Or we can shim out the feed lips once we had a size to work with.

PS how do your factory mags fit? Because my factory mag is sloppy.

Odds are once we get this run of info back we will make one more run of test mags just to make sure (probably a dozen or so). I'll put you on the contact list for that.

I don't know exactly when that will be for sure, hopefully in a month or two. We have to cut new dies with alterations.... Not something I'm looking forward to. Or we can shim out the feed lips once we had a size to work with.

PS how do your factory mags fit? Because my factory mag is sloppy.

Factory mags are rock solid - both 2 3/4 and 3". Gun runs almost 100% on Federal Valu-Pak.

Glad to help however I can with testing. Got a range on my property, and a buncha different shells - 000buck, slugs, 4,5,6,7.5, 8 shot, etc

Good luck on the "tweaks." .

Edited by garandman

Its good to see progress! For what its worth, all of my factory mags also fit rock solid.

If any one has to drop out of testing, I volunteer to take their place.

I have a fairly decent stock of shells hoarded away, depleted only slightly by last Saturday's range trip. I am happy to report that my new Ace stock is quite comfortable, and I am still considering camo patterns at this moment.

My Lyman slug mould has even seen some use recently.

Well if the factory mags fit tight with no side wobble then these dies may work as is. Because they measure .003 (or so) smaller side to side then factory.

Your lyman mold for the sabot or foster? I have the Lyman sabot mold for 12 gauge and I like the slugs it makes, still looking for a good shotcup for it.

I'll probably have to start reloading for the 20 gauge, these bird shot prices suck.

My slug mould is a Foster. They weigh 352 grains when cast with soft lead, with a little tin mixed. I would guess it is about 30 to 1. They measure .610", which will fall right through my Saiga barrel, then just barely make it through the choke with light finger pressure.

Haven't got any loaded yet, I need components also. I think this slug will also fit in the Ballistic Products 12 gauge shot cup. So I intend to try it in my Benelli, also. 3 pellets of 00 buck and the Lyman Foster slug should make for an interesting 12 gauge load. There is lots of room in a 3" 20 gauge shell. Might be able to load the Foster slug with 3 pellets of #2 buck on top.

Guess I need to concentrate on 2 3/4" shells, since that is what you are going to make magazines for.

And I need to concentrate on painting my Saiga-20, since I have been putting that off for over a year.

Well almost a year from start date.

We have a working 20 gauge mag right now. The picture is a 5 round, should have working 8s very soon.

All steel construction, just putting the last little adjustments on the small parts.

We will be looking for 5 testers for the 8 round mags. We need to find out what kind of variances exist. Some adjustment may be required for lock up, my factory 2 3/4 mag fit is very sloppy this one locks in and barely wiggles.

IMG_2670.jpg

received the mag Dave, Ill check it out this weekend.

thanks

Bill

Ok early results look ok, not prefect but that is to be expected.

Testers: Feel free to post results/problems/fixes here. Save everyone time, and me from trying to relay everything between you.

I remembered that I swapped my recoil spring (main spring) out to a lower powered 1911 spring back when I bought the gun. This may mean that the mag springs need to be shortened slightly for bulk box shells. I'll try to get that info back tomorrow after I get a few cases through my mag with the alteration.

Well I buzzed through a couple cases myself today with no issues. So I went and got a few different types of ammo and found issues with federal, I'll pick up a few different types next time I'm in town. Remington promo shells (cheap wally world cases) worked well. I looked at the hulls and the remington feel a lot better.

I tried a few types of federal and they did not work that great, my thought is that the hulls are to soft on the federal shells and the bolt is dragging rather then pushing the shells down. None of the problems I had with federal hulls are mag jams, rather its not ejecting the empty hull. Its very close to working with the federal shells, I'm playing with the spring tension in the mag to see if that would help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTIdEmCwkaQ

In the 12 gauge Fed is really good. But they have been somewhat inconsistent in my 20 gauge.

I did try cutting the spring by one coil and that helped a lot (I'll have my springs made softer or change the follower a little). And I even got a couple mag fulls through of fed with out a hang up at all.

Then gas block fall off mid mag, that was exciting. I have it back together now but it did end my shooting for the day about two cases early.

I would love to get in on the test of these mags if it is still possible. Let me know.

Sorry for this round they are all out already.. If we do a larger second test I'll contact you, not totally sure if/when we would be doing that.

I still need to check some 3 inch shells (can't find them local so I ordered). I think we will have the fed promo shells working in production models.

• 2 months later...

Hey csspecs if you need a retailer for these when theyre ready please drop me a PM. We have several customers looking for higher cap mags for their 20s myself included! -- Also if possible I would love to help test for you! We have a range here on our property with popup steel targets and I shoot run n gun at the local gun club. Thanks ! Rob

• 4 months later...

We decided that there is a need to recut the stamp dies to make the mags slightly longer. Which will allow an improved follower and a larger spring.

I can make 5's which I plan to once I locate the springs that will fit my current design.. Or redesign the followers to use AR-15 springs which would make locating spares easy.

Still working on it.

• 2 weeks later...

As a relatively new S-20 owner I have to say that this is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Pretty much.

With the guv'ment on the verge (bills being introduced) of banning everything civilian above 10 rounders, I've got my eyes fixed on these and hope they get made soon so I can at least have something better than a 5er. I might pick up a 13 rounder just to have one for some range shooting, though, in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...