Metal 5 and 8 round magazines

I just happened to notice that I can jam 12 gauge shells into the .308 metal body (hits the front indent but I can make the body longer). So I started to think about how I could make a magazine for the 12 gauge... Then it dawned on me that I'd be fighting for sales with surefire, promag, AGP, and MD arms. So little chance I'd get the sales I'd like, so I'm going to look into making them for 20 gauge in the future (no set time sorry)

I think I can make it to about 7-8 before the magazine starts to mis feed from being a straight wall but for safety sake I'm going to ask about 5 rounds. I can see that my 20 gauge magazines are pretty darn straight, so I'm really sure I can get away with 5 just fine.

Who knows I may be able to build one that feeds 2 3/4 and 3 just the same but for now I'd like to get the most popular choice and go from there.

Well to bring you up to speed in the first post. Mags are stamped with a constant curve. We have live fire tested them and they functioned but we had a low feed on the first round a couple times so we fixed that with a new run of test mags.

We are gathering some different equipment prior to making these for general sale. Right now the labor required will make them kind of expensive. We hope to have mags for general sale sometime in July or August.

IMG_2849.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its going to be awhile still. (meaning a couple months for some real world testing, not forever).   The mags are not totally straight, they have a constant curve its just not that drastic a curve. T

I'll have a better idea the exact retail once we get the quotes back from laser cutter ect.   Probably close to the cost of the saiga .308 magazines. $50 give or take a little.

If you could figure out a way to make a metal 8-round 12 ga. magazine, I think you would sell plenty. The polymer 12 ga. magazines have some breakage issues. A metal 8-rounder would be awesome! I suppose it would be hard to make though. Also, if Cameron makes his metal 10-round drum, that might hurt sales. Oh well, we can dream....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'd like to delete the poll but I can't.

It's been desided that they will be for 2 3/4 shells and 8 rounds. The stamping die does not finish the mag body at the bottom so it will be possible to use less metal and make a 2 or 5 round mag using the same tooling.

Pricing will likely be 38-45. including shipping. I'll post pictures in a couple weeks when the dies are done and working.

If you could figure out a way to make a metal 8-round 12 ga. magazine, I think you would sell plenty. The polymer 12 ga. magazines have some breakage issues. A metal 8-rounder would be awesome! I suppose it would be hard to make though. Also, if Cameron makes his metal 10-round drum, that might hurt sales. Oh well, we can dream....

Cameron is making metal 8 round mags for the S-12...

I'd like to delete the poll but I can't.

It's been desided that they will be for 2 3/4 shells and 8 rounds. The stamping die does not finish the mag body at the bottom so it will be possible to use less metal and make a 2 or 5 round mag using the same tooling.

Pricing will likely be 38-45. including shipping. I'll post pictures in a couple weeks when the dies are done and working.

Sorry to hear your not going to make any saiga 12 mags, you have any prototypes you would sell?

Well I have not totally ruled it out. If the chaos box mags hit a hang up and get shelved I'd start on it again. Even still as it is there seven makers of Saiga-12 mags(counting chaos), so I don't see the need. My couple prototypes are very very rough, not something you would want to pay money for, I think I cut myself on them every time I used them. I made them to figure out feed angle and a few other sizes not for use.

I have a saiga 20 and I know that the only options are 45.00 for a 5 round 3 inch, or 150 for a 8 round 3 inch. If you want to shoot more then 6 rounds of 2 3/4 you pretty much have to buy a spare gun and take the mag. Thats why the choice was made to make them feed 2 3/4 inch shells rather then 3 inch.

Well I have not totally ruled it out. If the chaos box mags hit a hang up and get shelved I'd start on it again. Even still as it is there seven makers of Saiga-12 mags(counting chaos), so I don't see the need. My couple prototypes are very very rough, not something you would want to pay money for, I think I cut myself on them every time I used them. I made them to figure out feed angle and a few other sizes not for use.

I have a saiga 20 and I know that the only options are 45.00 for a 5 round 3 inch, or 150 for a 8 round 3 inch. If you want to shoot more then 6 rounds of 2 3/4 you pretty much have to buy a spare gun and take the mag. Thats why the choice was made to make them feed 2 3/4 inch shells rather then 3 inch.

got it, any update on when the 20s are available?

Its moving a little at a time. We did make a partial panel, has the track at the back and reinforcing ribs stamped into it. It came out perfect.

What took time is the mill setup to make the curved body. And we have about two days left on that once the end mills get in that I forgot to order two weeks ago. Then its all pretty much straight work and that should be much faster. The design is a somewhat cross over between the 308 mags and a straight up copy of an AK magazine. I'll post pictures as soon as I have a few parts that look something like a mag. Probably a two weeks or more before I have something to take pictures of, probably another two weeks to have something to test. Then once testing is done and the tweeks are made to the design it takes two weeks to make a run of them. So something like six to eight weeks, I'll give the normal delay updates as they come.

• 1 month later...

Stamp dies are very close. Had a bunch of little delays, I hope to have something to take to the range soon. I'll try to post pictures of the parts once we get them done.

The fun part of all this is that almost a month of work has gone into this and I still can't say for certain how it will work.

• 1 month later...

Update

Here is a early pressing for a 5 round mag (8s are the same just longer). Some small work is still being done to the plates. We had to find a press that could handle to dies that is what took so long. Shop presses don't work for stamping steel.

More info as I can make it available

th_IMG_2445.jpg

I'm still not really getting why you can't make one mag that will feed 2 3/4 and 3 inch. I designed and fit some small wedges to change the feed angle on the follower, allowing all my 8 rd and 5rd factory 3" mags to shoot both.

I don't know, I did not design them. It has something to do with the feed angle changing to much.

I know the ramps work, I have one in my brothers 3 inch 5 round mag. We talked about it a lot and I think it was decided that it was better to make a mag for each size starting with the 2 3/4 as there is nothing over 5 rounds for 2 3/4 (other then a izhmash 3" with a ramp from you).

• 1 month later...

Well almost a year from start date.

We have a working 20 gauge mag right now. The picture is a 5 round, should have working 8s very soon.

All steel construction, just putting the last little adjustments on the small parts.

We will be looking for 5 testers for the 8 round mags. We need to find out what kind of variances exist. Some adjustment may be required for lock up, my factory 2 3/4 mag fit is very sloppy this one locks in and barely wiggles.

IMG_2670.jpg

I'll throw my hat in to be a beta tester for the 5s/8s. Should have my 20 here in a few days and then onto the range for some break in then conversion.

Eric

Well almost a year from start date.

We have a working 20 gauge mag right now. The picture is a 5 round, should have working 8s very soon.

All steel construction, just putting the last little adjustments on the small parts.

We will be looking for 5 testers for the 8 round mags. We need to find out what kind of variances exist. Some adjustment may be required for lock up, my factory 2 3/4 mag fit is very sloppy this one locks in and barely wiggles.

IMG_2670.jpg

Ok figured I'd show the size of an 8 round 20 gauge mag. They are roughly the length of a AR-15 mag and a little fatter then a AK mag. All the test mags went to be finished today, likely be a week before they come back.

I have one tester mag left.

IMG_2686.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Probably some out there wanting to know what the delay is.

Well I forgot to check something on the prototypes. Ended up that a couple little changes are needed.

We should have the new run of test mags to the finishers Monday morning.

Probably some out there wanting to know what the delay is.

Well I forgot to check something on the prototypes. Ended up that a couple little changes are needed.

We should have the new run of test mags to the finishers Monday morning.

They are looking good.

Oh, yeah, put me down for 1 or 2, definitely.

I think the straight mag body will look cool.

Its going to be awhile still. (meaning a couple months for some real world testing, not forever).

The mags are not totally straight, they have a constant curve its just not that drastic a curve. Think a 6 foot diameter circle and about 7 inches of it.

I think they look rather nice with maple stocks.

IMG_2849.jpg

• Like 1