Anyone know of a super-fantastic muzzle brake? I don't really care about cost or looks. I just want it to be the best recoil-reduction and muzzle-rise reduction possible.

Any suggestions?

7.62x39. I can thread my gun to any pitch so it doesn't have to be standard AK pitch.

Edited by SaigaNoobie

I'm not a brake expert, but I know the Tromix rifle shark is very effective. Much more so than the AK47 type.

I haven't tried alot of brakes, though. Maybe some of the competition guys can chime in.

I have the following brakes on 7.62x39 AKs:

* Slant Brake

* E. German zig-zag 74 brake

* K-var 74 Brake

* J-tac brake

* Smith Brake

* Bulgarian SLR95 brake

* AMD 65 brake

IMO, the most versatile and effective brake is the J-Tac. Recoil and climb reduction is very noticeable, but it is also a very quiet muzzle brake and dissapates muzzle flash well. It also is much shorter then most of the other brakes, and has no snag points like other brakes. I would rate it as the best "all-around" AK muzzle brake.

IMO, the next best is the 24mm K-Var 74-style brake. It does a fantastic job of taming recoil, but is also much lighter than the Comblock versions. Unlike the German and Rommy ones, You hardly notice the weight difference on the muzzle. Downside is that 74-style brakes are long, loud, and greatly increase the effects of muzzle flash.

I like the AMD 65 brake the least. It is heavy, oversized, very loud, and has no recoil reduction advantage over other designs.

Also keep in mind that the "slant brake" is not a brake. It does an effective job of reducing muzzle rise, but does not reduce felt recoil (like muzzle brakes do).

IMHO the primary function of a brake should be flash hiding. muzzle compensation should be second.

http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd...mp;idproduct=57

thats what I have. If I re-did my Saiga I'd get a vortex.

Shouldn't the muzzle brake reduce recoil? If I wanted something to tame muzzle flash I'd just get a flash hider.

IMHO the primary function of a brake should be flash hiding. muzzle compensation should be second.

Sounds like you really like flash hiders. I do too, but the op asked about muzzle brakes - which is a completely different devise.

I am the dissenting vote. I have the AMD 65 brake on my Saiga and the reduction in recoil is A LOT! It does not reduce rise, and it is very loud, but it IS effective at reducing recoil. It was developed for the light weight, short barreled AMD65 for just that purpose.

AK-74 style. It is cheap and available all sizes. And the best of all, it is fantastic.

Russians are not dummies, and with all the resources available to them they came up with this unit.

Bad part is that all US made clones are not exact copies. The holes are missarranged. They should be at ~15 degree angle keeping the gun down and slightly to the right

I like the 74 brake. Of course since my barrel has a 24x1.5mm RH thread adapter permanently attached, (it's the SGL20), a lot of brakes like the J-Tac are not an option.

Imo though the 74 brake not only looks "classic AK", but it also works very, very well. It also allows you to affix a bayonet to the rifle with the brake in place. I hope to never need to bayonet anyone, (the shit has really hit the fan if I do), but having more options is always a plus.

Thats completely wrong. The AK, AR and many others were designed as short range automatic assault rifles. As such, they dont need to hide the flash, your enemy is at short range and you can see him or when you put suppressive fire you still dont need to hide. All you need is stable and more or less accurate shot after shot. And it is brake's job to do it. SVD has the flash hider which is essential for sniping, when you want to stay undetected. At some point after Vietnam, US military doctrine changed, AR became very accurate and full auto is believed not to be much effective anymore, so AR got suppressors. Suppressor doesnt reduce recoil or stabilizes the rifle at all.

There are brake-suppressor combos, but none of them is any good as these 2 functions cant be combined very well in a single device

Edited by BKLYN_C

Gonna pick up the Kreb's Custom AK74 brake w/ bushing adapter. Anyone know of anyplace cheaper that stocks Kreb's parts? I remember i found the ghost rings $10 cheaper somewhere OTHER than Kreb's

On, that note, how hard is it to thread a barrel?

One additional question,

If i buy a 74 brake for my x39 and then decide i want a .223, will the extra OD of the x39 holes in the brake make a huge difference or will it still work as an effective muzzle brake?

Will it be like 95% as effective as a .223 brake of the same style? Or will it be only 50% as effective? Anyone have opinions on this? Anyone shoot a .223 with a 30cal brake?

the '74 brake is what I am putting on mine. be sure to get a TRUE 74 break that is 24mm RH thread and not a cheap TAPCO 75 style break.

Anyone have 74 style brakes in 24mm in stock?

did ya check with Brian? (Dinzag)

Dude, i ordered one from Krebs. It's apparently an exact copy of the 74 brakes. You can see the moon holes up front and everything.

I thought the original Russian 74 Brakes were ZigZag not half-moon. The ak-100 series rifles had a mix of half moon and zigzag. Here is an snipit page on that:

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/parts1.html

Don't get me wrong, Krebs makes a good product, just not an authentic one..... :dollar:

One additional question,

If i buy a 74 brake for my x39 and then decide i want a .223, will the extra OD of the x39 holes in the brake make a huge difference or will it still work as an effective muzzle brake?

Will it be like 95% as effective as a .223 brake of the same style? Or will it be only 50% as effective? Anyone have opinions on this? Anyone shoot a .223 with a 30cal brake?

If you end up needing a '74 zig-zag brake made for 5.45/5.56, (chrome lined, nicely made), let me know, SaigaNoobie. I have one that I ordered from Cope's, hoping to use it on a 7.62, (obviously I found out that it's too small once I received it), that I don't need. I'd only charge ya what I paid + shipping.

Dude, i ordered one from Krebs. It's apparently an exact copy of the 74 brakes. You can see the moon holes up front and everything.

I thought the original Russian 74 Brakes were ZigZag not half-moon. The ak-100 series rifles had a mix of half moon and zigzag. Here is an snipit page on that:

Don't get me wrong, Krebs makes a good product, just not an authentic one..... :dollar:

I'm pretty sure that the zig-zag ports were a German innovation, (East German). Obviously there's nothing wrong with that.. the Germans and Austrians make some damn nice guns and have for a very long time. Heh, in some ways it only seems fitting, since the AK-47 design obviously borrowed very heavily from the German Sturmgewehr 44, (world's first "assault rifle"), design which the Soviets captured in WWII.

I'm pretty sure that the zig-zag ports were a German innovation, (East German). Obviously there's nothing wrong with that.. the Germans and Austrians make some damn nice guns and have for a very long time. Heh, in some ways it only seems fitting, since the AK-47 design obviously borrowed very heavily from the German Sturmgewehr 44, (world's first "assault rifle"), design which the Soviets captured in WWII.

Im no historian, thats why I peruse tantals site, but the standard russian 74s were zigzag. But your right the East Germans did produce zigzag brakes. Anyway, the Krebs units are probably similar to the ones on K-Var from the looks of it.

Im no historian, thats why I peruse tantals site, but the standard russian 74s were zigzag. But your right the East Germans did produce zigzag brakes. Anyway, the Krebs units are probably similar to the ones on K-Var from the looks of it.

They are exactly the same. I got mine from Krebs.

They are exactly the same. I got mine from Krebs.

Nice, the Arsenal/K-Var units are well built. Krebs makes good stuff as well. I personally own a zigzag of unknown origin. I suspect its a 79-82 russian like this one posted on tantals site:

zigzag_port.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I need a pin to retain the spring for the muzzle-index pin.

THose of you with AK74 FSBs will know the pin I'm talking about. Anyway, anyone know or can suggest a pin to use to retain the spring? Currently I just use a nail i bent on the end :)

LOL