FCG Retaining Plate or Shephard's Crook?

I'm still buying the last of my conversion parts for my S-12 and I was wondering: is it worth it to spend a little more for a FCG retaining plate rather than using a simple shepherd's crook? It would seem to make sense, the plate certainly is more robust than that little piece of wire, and they're not that expensive.

So, I'm looking for input from those of you who already know.. is the plate worth the extra $$? What are the pros and cons of both the plate and the crook?

TIA, this board is a fantastic source of info and it's quickly become one of my favorites. :up:

Edited by post-apocalyptic

Plate: doesn't break or come loose because it's held in place by the safety, goes in in seconds, comes out in seconds. Allows easy disassembly of your Saiga.

Shepherd's crook: holds the pins. Can be a bitch to put in. Sometimes requires removal of the stock to install or take out.

Get the plate.

Once I got the hang of installing mine, it is a breeze. The trick for me was learning to rotate the BHO up while installing the safety and then using a piece of thread to loop the spring onto the BHO once everything was together. The plate is rock steady when out shooting!

Isnt there something you have to grind down to fit the plate? Seems like that was why I didnt buy one. I realy dont thing the crook is that hard to work with, but now Im thinking a plate does sound more resiliant than a bent up wire.

I don't believe that you have to grind anything if you buy a FCG plate that's specifically for a S-12, like this one. (the bottom plate)

Isnt there something you have to grind down to fit the plate? Seems like that was why I didnt buy one. I realy dont thing the crook is that hard to work with, but now Im thinking a plate does sound more resiliant than a bent up wire.

I don't believe that you have to grind anything if you buy a FCG plate that's specifically for a S-12, like this one. (the bottom plate)

My experience is that you will have to grind a little more off (into) the BHO to get the fire selector (safety) to install properly. I agree that the plate is better, but to be able to get the safety lever to be able to angle in, clear the BHO, and fit its end support pin into the hole of the FCG plate, you will need to grind a wee bit more into the BHO, than if you use the shephard's crook.

Krebs sells a Saiga shotgun specific retainer plate. Tromix might have offered one with his modified FCG too. I got one with the Tromix FCG I bought early last year, but I also ordered a krebs retainer so now I have a plate to put in my other shotgun when it comes time to convert it.

I've used the shepards crook and the plate (as well as the stock wire spring obviously). I much prefer the plate, though the crook isn't too bad if you have some needle nose pliers. The plate doesn't require any tools though. You just have to make sure you either get a plate specifically for the S-12 (from Cobra, Dinzag, Tromix or whoever) or you grind it a little yourself.

Cutting a notch in the BHO is a 5 minute job. It allows you to install your safety last. Obviously, if you have an older model without the BHO, you're good to go.

Corbin

If you aren't using a BHO, there's nothing to notch. Taking it out will solve the notching problem and you could install or remove the safety without an issue. It's only when you've got the BHO AND the plate that you have to notch the BHO to let the safety go in last.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention.....if you remove the BHO, you might want to put a washer on the hammer pin on the right side of the hammer. Either that or just install a hammer that hasn't had the right side cut back 0.010" or whatever it is.

Edited by Corbin
If you aren't using a BHO, there's nothing to notch. Taking it out will solve the notching problem and you could install or remove the safety without an issue. It's only when you've got the BHO AND the plate that you have to notch the BHO to let the safety go in last.

This man speaks the truth.

*EDIT* I forgot to mention.....if you remove the BHO, you might want to put a washer on the hammer pin on the right side of the hammer. Either that or just install a hammer that hasn't had the right side cut back 0.010" or whatever it is.

Thanks for the tips, Corbin. But actually the notch I was referring to when it comes to the safety lever is one like this. So I'd still have the capability to hold the bolt in the rearward position, without that annoying "extra" part inside the receiver, interfering with everything and sticking out right next to the trigger.

Oh, I gotcha.

My bad.

I've considered doing that, but as a lefty, the BHO doesn't interfere with me, although I rarely use it anyway since I'm trying to condition myself to load on a closed bolt. At least until a LRBHO is available.

Corbin

I'm still buying the last of my conversion parts for my S-12 and I was wondering: is it worth it to spend a little more for a FCG retaining plate rather than using a simple shepherd's crook? It would seem to make sense, the plate certainly is more robust than that little piece of wire, and they're not that expensive.

So, I'm looking for input from those of you who already know.. is the plate worth the extra $$? What are the pros and cons of both the plate and the crook?

TIA, this board is a fantastic source of info and it's quickly become one of my favorites. :up:

I just recently completed my conversion(wednesday night) and didn't have any trouble installing the shepards crook. I just used a good set of small needle nose and a 90* pick. Just my experience.