Broken Promag?

As this is my first post I would like to start off by saying thanks to the administrators and membership; this place is an awesome resource. I have owned several Russian shotguns in the past, and recently purchased my first Saiga. While I am accustomed to the potential for "hands on" work setting up a new Russian shotgun, if there were resources like this available for the other Russians I owned I would have made a lot fewer mistakes and spent a lot more time at the range rather than the workbench getting things dialed in! :up:

My question is regarding Promag 10 rounders. I have been doing a lot of searching and of all the various faults reported; I have not found one reference of a Promag physically breaking? Has anyone had a Promag physically break in the course of normal (open for interpretation) operation?

Thanks,

Ender

Have not actually heard of one breaking. What kind of rounds were you shooting? I suppose breakage ought to be covered in their lifetime warranty, so you could contact ProMag and ask them about it. Would help to know what kind of conditions you were shooting in when the mag failed.

I have heard of AGP's breaking in cold weather shooting 3" magnum loads, and also of a Surefire breaking from time to time, so I guess ProMag could be as likely to break as the others mags...

Have not actually heard of one breaking. What kind of rounds were you shooting? I suppose breakage ought to be covered in their lifetime warranty, so you could contact ProMag and ask them about it. Would help to know what kind of conditions you were shooting in when the mag failed.

I have heard of AGP's breaking in cold weather shooting 3" magnum loads, and also of a Surefire breaking from time to time, so I guess ProMag could be as likely to break as the others mags...

I did not have a failure, I ask the question because I am thinking about purchasing some additional mags. With a little work, the Promags I have currently will feed anything I throw at them, but with all the various opinions on this site I find myself contemplating other options. As part of my research it occurred to me that I had never heard of a Promag breaking. As I live in the north and have occasion to shoot in the cold, breakage is something I must strongly consider as part of my decision.

I did not have a failure, I ask the question because I am thinking about purchasing some additional mags. With a little work, the Promags I have currently will feed anything I throw at them, but with all the various opinions on this site I find myself contemplating other options. As part of my research it occurred to me that I had never heard of a Promag breaking. As I live in the north and have occasion to shoot in the cold, breakage is something I must strongly consider as part of my decision.

I recommend 8rd surefire mags. I have never heard of a single case of those breaking and they will feed anything.

My Promag sucks ass. I've done the cork trick and filed the interior. They both helped, but it still has a lot of trouble feeding. Neither two of my AGP's or my Surefire have ever had a single issue.

I sent all 10x of mine back to promag for warrenty claim.

My Promag sucks ass. I've done the cork trick and filed the interior. They both helped, but it still has a lot of trouble feeding. Neither two of my AGP's or my Surefire have ever had a single issue.

Amen. I might do the same. I don't know if it's all Promags, because I've heard a few good reviews of them, but this particular mag really sucks. It couldn't feed a round to save it's life, or mine. :ded: Maybe Promag makes Vodka Specials? :lol:

Edited by dannyfantasy

Amen. I might do the same. I don't know if it's all Promags, because I've heard a few good reviews of them, but this particular mag really sucks. It couldn't feed a round to save it's life, or mine. :ded: Maybe Promag makes Vodka Specials? :lol:

Promags are essentially a FAD. They look cool and are cheep. With effort, it is possible to get them to work, but with the cost of ammo and the number of rouds that would be required to gain confidence I descided to stick with 8rd surefire mags. For me the Promag FAD is over.

The surefire 12s have had breaks with 3" 00 or turky loads. Same with the AGP 10s. the promag 10 seem to hold up to the 3" 00 test, but the number of failure to feeds i expirienced make me believe they are not the mag to go with. My AGP 10s have been fed 3" 00 buck and survived on a few occasions. I only have one surefire 2 rnd for bird hunting. Neither my surefire, nor my AGPs required fitting but this is based on a gun to gun basis. I have not heard of a Promag that did not require fitting and work to the mag to make it work period let alone reliably.

If you go with surefire 12s beware of 3" rounds. I believe modern AGPs are ok. Any other size surefire has not been known to fail. Both of these may take minor fitting, but should function with a near perfect record.

If you choose promags beware that it may take considerable work to make them work at all and even after that you may not have a reliable mag.

Edited by Nailbomb
Yall have me scared now. I bought 2 promag 10 rd. at the gun show a while ago. They have been just sitting in the safe b\c my Saiga is with Mr Cole having some work done. I just had a hard time loading 2 rounds in each. Do you have problems loading too?

Yes, get 8rd surefire mags. Save time and headach. Even money in the long run.

Yall have me scared now. I bought 2 promag 10 rd. at the gun show a while ago. They have been just sitting in the safe b\c my Saiga is with Mr Cole having some work done. I just had a hard time loading 2 rounds in each. Do you have problems loading too?

Chances are the ID of the mag is smaller than the OD of the 12ga round. There are a few theories on fixing this. Panzer has one and i have one, i didn't have very good luck with my method so i recomend you try his first. He'll probably pop up and post a link for you if you ask nice.

Call me an optimist, but I believe the ProMag can be tweaked to get it to perform as well as any other mag. Granted, when you purchase something you don't anitcipate having to do ANYTHING to get it to work as it should, but with Saiga mags it just seems to be part of the deal. There are several threads that talk about possible fixes.

scarey has a nice thread including some pics of his method to increase the inner diameter of the mag: ProMag Fix

This thread pretty much covers the entire issue. But note that much of it refers to the Gen1 ProMag, not the Gen 2 currently being sold : ProMag

My issue was with high brass shells not feeding smoothly. They seem to drag a bit towards the top and also scraped against the metal feed lips. I filed a small amount off the lips on each side where it might contact the brass. In addition I opened the mag up, and removed some material from near the top grooves on the inside of the mag, as it appeared to me they were a bit thicker than needed in this area. I then lubed the entire interior of the mag and the mag spring with dry lube, and reassembled. High brass seems to feed a lot smoother now, but in hand cycling 00 buck there still seems to be a minor bit of drag at times. Low brass cycles with no problem.

I believe they are worth giving a shot. Many people here have had no problems with them, while some like Patriot have had nothing BUT problems with them. I recommend buying a couple and trying them out. If they work, great, but if you don't like them you didn't blow a crazy amount of dough on something you despise.

Edited by Jpanzer

I have a few promags..They arent bad once you correct the follower and do a little filing inside and out for them to feed and fit properly..Its just like the most of us who purchased 2008 Saiga 12s and got a vodka special..They usually need a little work for them to be reliable and function properly..Once modified with a little grinding everything works great ...So dont loose confidence in them..they can work just as well as an agp mag or surefire which i also have and also had a few problems with that needed correcting..