Howdy

Went to the dollar store today, and thought I'd share some of my finds. All pictures are clickable.

First off is the chicken snacks. They have popcorn chicken, chicken nuggets and chicken strips (not pictured, as I don't eat them). They come in 8 ounce bags, and they're microwaveable.

dollar-store-goodies_1550.JPG_t.gif

This is how many you get out of one bag:

dollar-store-goodies_1552.JPG_t.gif

What does McDonald's charge nowadays for a 6 piece box of Chicken McNuggets?

I hit the jackpot with the asparagus spears. They're over $1.50/can at BigBoxMart or Krogers (store brand). Can't beat canned asparagus spears for $1

dollar-store-goodies_1551.JPG_t.gif

They sell 4 ounce fish fillets. Flounder, tilapia, salmon all available with various flavorants. This one is "Teriyaki Salmon" They sell these at Kroger, too (under a different brand) for $1.25 each.

dollar-store-goodies_1553.JPG_t.gif

The fish fillets come in individual bags inside their outer packaging. I highly suspect this is due to the Chinese Fishing Factory Ship packing these and then shunting them into 10,000 "Gortons" wrappers for "Gortons" and 10,000 wrappers for "Teabury and Swain, Fishmongers to the Queen", etc. I really like it, because it makes for a "boil in the bag[1]" arrangement.

dollar-store-goodies_1554.JPG_t.gif

Don't read any further if you're hungry.

Waiting for the hungry people to leave.

You've been warned.

Below is what I had for supper. It is teryaki salmon on a bed of bulger with asparagus. This was a delicious meal and it didn't cost much of anything.

dollar-store-goodies_1555.JPG_t.gif

Let's break it down:

4 ounces salmon $1 from the dollar store

4 ounces uncooked bulger wheat 36¢ ( 9¢ per ounce )

15 ounce can of asparagus (about 35 spears) $1 from the dollar store

Lemon juice

Extra virgin olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Mix four ounces (½ cup) dry bulgar wheat in a microwave bowl. Add 1 cup cold water and microwave for about 12 minutes at about 750 watts[2].

Right after you press the "GO" button on the microwave, drop your fish in a pot on the stove that has water in it. Start the fire and let it boil.

After the bulgar is done, pull it from the microwave (careful, it's HOT) and add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to it. Mix it up and let it sit for a few minutes until the top appears dry. You are adding the oil because bulgar is DRY, and the oil gives it "mouth feel". The lemon juice is added because it goes well with fish.

Open and drain your can of asparagus and arrange it on the bottom of your serving dish. Add the bulgar, and use your kitchen scissors to open the fish packet. Let the fish and all the good teriyaki sauce out on top of the bulgar.

EAT UP (and wonder all the while where else you can get such a wonderful meal for less than $3)

[1] I cooked my first teriyaki salmon in the microwave on a plate. Bad mistake, the teriyaki sauce cooked into a crust, and it wasn't pretty.

[2] I have an 1100w microwave and I cook my bulgar at 40% power for 12 minutes. Doing the math, I figure that to equal a 750 watt constant.

interesting, they don't sell food at the dollar stores around here :(

The name of this particular chain is "Dollar Tree", where every thing is ONE DOLLAR.

The trick to shopping at stores like this is knowing what costs more than a dollar anywhere else (you save money buying those items).

If you buy "luncheon meat" (spam) at the dollar store, you save money, as it's more than a buck everywhere else.

If you buy Vienna sausage for $1/can at the dollar store, you take it in the *** (vienna sausage is 50¢ or less everywhere else).