What did you guys do about the BHO on your .223 conversion? I have 2 dilemas:

1) The new hammer is wider than the OEM unit. So the BHO lever doesn't fit between the "axle" of the hammer and the reciever. I would have to grind .024" off the new hammer.

2)The BHO lever protrudes from the body right next to the trigger. I can imagine myself bump firing and accedentally pushing the button in and either ruining my fun or damaging the gun.

What to do?

I don't think you will damage your gun if you reinstall the BHO, but I do think it will cause ergonomic problems.

I have heard of people modifying the BHO so that it doesn't interfere so much. This usually entails grinding off part of the serrated end.

There was a guy over on AK-47.net that came up with a last round hold open which showed some promise. He has a web site here: AK Bolt Stop

And this is always an option. I call it the Redneck BHO:

16279PA100007-med.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I just put a Tapco FCG in my Norinco rifle. The Tapco parts allow the bolt to stay open. You have to pull the cocking handle back just to the safety lever and it will catch. It will not go forward unless you really hit it hard or pull the cocking handle back slightly and release it.

swon

• 2 weeks later...
I just put a Tapco FCG in my Norinco rifle. The Tapco parts allow the bolt to stay open. You have to pull the cocking handle back just to the safety lever and it will catch. It will not go forward unless you really hit it hard or pull the cocking handle back slightly and release it.

swon

Yout are correct. I found that out after installing all the parts. Problem is mine doesn't work too well because I lapped all the parts in to each other with very fine polishing compund. Everything is so smooth that it doesn't stay open.

It is cool to have it locked open when I jam a full mag in. The little bump from the mag locking in is enuf to jar the bolt loose. So just click the mag in a bam! the bolt chambers the round :D

• 1 month later...
I don't think you will damage your gun if you reinstall the BHO, but I do think it will cause ergonomic problems.

I have heard of people modifying the BHO so that it doesn't  interfere so much.  This usually entails grinding off part of the serrated end.

There was a guy over on AK-47.net that came up with a last round hold open which showed some promise.  He has a web site here: AK Bolt Stop

Hi, guys... I'm the guy you mentioned in your mail. Thought I'd chime in.

I have thought of the safety lever mod. with one difference. Why not cut the slot on the lever so that it's shaped more like a parallelogram with the vertical cuts slanted to the rear. You get two things from this. The bolt will stay engaged by the lever by virtue of the cam action, and when you pull back on the bolt, the lever tends to ride away from the charging handle and disengage the safety.

I'll try attaching a modfied picture...

Just a thought...

post-13-1076103590.jpg

• 7 months later...
Yout are correct.  I found that out after installing all the parts.  Problem is mine doesn't work too well because I lapped all the parts in to each other with very fine polishing compund.  Everything is so smooth that it doesn't stay open.

It is cool to have it locked open when I jam a full mag in.  The little bump from the mag locking in is enuf to jar the bolt loose.  So just click the mag in a bam!  the bolt chambers the round :D

What exactly do you mean when you say you lapped the parts together? I've heard of it before but I don't know what it is or how to go about doing it