#1 WardenWolf

WardenWolf

Geek with a Gun

• PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:12 PM

I found this nice little gem on The High Road:

http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

This company is selling adapters that will allow you to shoot different ammo than your weapon was designed for. Check out this glowing ad right from their webpage:

Now you can turn your 308 or 30-06 into a 7.62x39 and take advantage of inexpensive ammo!

One little problem there: Western .30's are .308, and Russian .30's are .311. Repeated use of Russian ammo in a .308 barrel will positively ruin the bore. Yeah, way to sell a product to the uneducated masses that will cause them to destroy their firearms.

And how do their little adapters work? They're supposed to be Loctited into the chamber and act as a sleeve around the casing. Do I even have to say why this is a bad idea, putting Loctite in your chamber? Or trusting this tiny insert to be able to handle the pressures of firing and not split and permanently damage your gun?

Add them to the Wall of Shame!

I would love to tell a customer: "You first must install Tannerite in your computer, and then we can troubleshoot it."

Saiga 12, Saiga .223 (converted), VEPR .308, SGL-21, Romanian PSL

#2 nalioth

nalioth

Citizen Soldier

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

Got a link to THR thread?

Have you used their product?

It's kinda funny that after years and years of being in business, this very post is the very first negative I've seen . . .

Edited by nalioth, 27 April 2009 - 07:16 PM.

"Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

#3 WardenWolf

WardenWolf

Geek with a Gun

• PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:25 PM

I haven't used it, but I certainly know the consequences of putting a .311 bullet in a .308 bore. People have ruined plenty of Finnish Mosin Nagants by putting cheap 7.62x54R through them instead of 53. The main difference is bullet size. Finns rebarreled their Nagants to .308 diameter.

http://www.thehighro...534#post5550534

I absolutely HAVE to post a warning when I see crap like this. They have absolutely NO business selling such a thing and giving people the impression that it's safe to shoot.

Edited by Mike the Wolf, 27 April 2009 - 07:29 PM.

I would love to tell a customer: "You first must install Tannerite in your computer, and then we can troubleshoot it."

#4 nalioth

nalioth

Citizen Soldier

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

I haven't used it, but I certainly know the consequences of putting a .311 bullet in a .308 bore. People have ruined plenty of Finnish Mosin Nagants by putting cheap 7.62x54R through them instead of 53. The main difference is bullet size. Finns rebarreled their Nagants to .308 diameter.

http://www.thehighro...534#post5550534

I absolutely HAVE to post a warning when I see crap like this. They have absolutely NO business selling such a thing and giving people the impression that it's safe to shoot.

I'm afraid I've got to throw the BS card on this one.

7.62x54R is gunny speak for "a bullet of 7.62mm diameter in a 54mm case.

7.62x53R is commonly known to be a mistranslation of 7.62x54R.

The Finns DO NOT change cartridges sizes in their guns. To do so would defeat the purpose for which they are rearsenaled - to use their enemy's ammunition against them.

As far as "posting a warning", great.

MCACE has been in business for years, and I've not heard of one ruined gun yet.
  • G O B likes this
"Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

#5 WardenWolf

WardenWolf

Geek with a Gun

• PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

Check a loading manual if you don't believe me. The Russian 7.62x54R uses a .311 bullet, interchangeable with the one used on the British .303. The Finnish rebarreled Mosin Nagants use .308 caliber bores. The two cartridges are NOT fully interchangeable. You can shoot x53 in an x54 gun, but you should only shoot x54 in an x53 gun in an emergency. You can do it if you have to, but it's not a good idea.

By the way, please enjoy this chart: http://www.7.62x54r....D/MosinSpec.htm

And also this ammo data: http://www.7.62x54r....osinAmmo001.htm

And this ammo: http://7.62x54r.net/...osinAmmo027.htm

The earliest Finnish Mosins were not so severely underbored, but later Cold War rebarrelings brought them down. You'll notice the M28/30's .3082 bore size. They were still somewhat smaller than their Russian counterparts. But the important thing is that .311 through a .308 barrel = BAD news.

Edited by Mike the Wolf, 27 April 2009 - 09:23 PM.

#6 scarey

scarey

Loose Nut

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

only a complet dumb ass would try and shoot 7.62x.39 through a 30.06 or .308. there is a reason you can,t reload 7.62x.39 with .308 different fucking size.

#7 aresv

aresv

ubi dubium ibi libertas

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:04 PM

I'm afraid I've got to throw the BS card on this one.

7.62x54R is gunny speak for "a bullet of 7.62mm diameter in a 54mm case.

7.62x53R is commonly known to be a mistranslation of 7.62x54R.

The Finns DO NOT change cartridges sizes in their guns. To do so would defeat the purpose for which they are rearsenaled - to use their enemy's ammunition against them.

Well actually, pre-WW2 Finnish Mosins had tighter .308 bores. The Finns produced their own ammo domestically with appropriate sized bullets. At the time they called the loading 7.62x53R to avoid confusing it with Soviet stuff.

In the 30's the Finns changed to standard .310 sized bores. Older weapons that were rebored were stamped "D" on the top of the barrel right in front of the receiver. Just about every M39 is meant to shoot .310 bullets. Earlier M91's, M28's and such should be checked to see if they have a D stamp. I have two M39's and both slug a perfect .310. The Finns (well, Lapua, really) kept calling all ammo 7.62x53R regardless of the actual bullet diameter. To this day Finnish ammo is labeled 53R even though almost all of it is .310.

Now... .310 steel jacketed, steel core ball ammo WILL cause higher pressure in .308 Finns. Is it dangerous? Maybe. Slug your bore and watch for signs of overpressure.

The opposite combo - .308 bullets in a .310 bore - won't hurt a thing except for accuracy. Plenty of folks shoot stuff like Speer 123 grain TNT bullets through their SKS's and AK's. It's not terribly accurate but it blows varmints up a hell of a lot better than FMJ :)
To be rational is to look the universe in the face and not flinch.

#8 Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose

• 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:32 AM

After shooting thousands of 7.62x39 7.62x25 out of my H&R and Springfield 30-06's rifling is still strong. Here is a linky http://en.wikipedia....wiki/7.62x39mm; and the 7.62x25 Tokarev is a 30 Mauser which is a 308. The latest creation is an adapter to fire the 7.62x25 Tokarev through your Mosin Nagant. Plinking and varminting for 4 cents a shot is easier on the wallet.

SO BS! If you aint done it, you dont know it. MCA makes a great product and I will recommend them to everybody.

#9 Corbin

Corbin

Izzy Shooter

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:23 AM

I bought a cheap 308 barrel for my 1919A4 recently at a gun show. The price was so low that I wondered if it was shot out or what. Looking through the bore, it looked ok though, so I got it.

Come to find out, it had one of these 7.62 x 39 adapters in the chamber and it won't come out. Not even with a broken shell extractor. 308 rounds obviously won't chamber and x39 rounds shouldn't be fired through it, even if they COULD cycle the action.
My Glock was stolen. Link:

http://forum.saiga-1...s-stolen-today/

#10 ironhead7544

ironhead7544

Executive Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:02 AM

Corbin: Try tapping a lead bullet down the barrel from the muzzle. Might work. Ive used this method to remove badly stuck separated brass from a chamber. Concerning the chamber adapter in 7.62x39, it would probably swage the bullet down before it got to the rifling. Might raise pressures some but I dont think it would hurt hurt the rifling. Accuracy might not be the best.

Edited by ironhead7544, 10 July 2010 - 05:08 AM.

#11 YWHIC

YWHIC

Served & Earned...

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:10 AM

As a side note the sportsmansguide sells these sleeves also.. But they say in the catalog for BOLT rifles or single-shot types.

"Anyone whom threatens my existence, or whom erased my past, has no future" Quote By Me.
"Once they start shooting they all become just targets to me." Quote By Me.
BCM 14 1/2" Midlength [Shelly], Saiga 762x39 [Lynch], Glock 30, Marlin P70

#12 THE_HUNTER

THE_HUNTER

Citizen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:13 AM

Ace was impossible to contact a couple years ago when I was looking for an adapter he advertised. Could not contact him by mail, email or phone, he just kept sending me the damn catalog never answering my questions! :X

#13 uzitiger

uzitiger

Citizen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

I had a .22 adapter for the .223 which I used in the Mini 14 but had to load it manually for every shot. The neck cracked from the constant loading/unloading and I discarded it and shot my 10/22 instead. These adapters are a bad idea. Another problem is that using a sub-caliber round it also lacks the rifling which stabilizes the bullet which means poor accuracy and lack of muzzle velocity.
You don't have to be Jewish to join JPFO

#14 xacex

xacex

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:11 AM

Thanks for the link!
xacex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users