I've heard they will prevent the trunion from getting hammered by the bolt carrier and the shotgun is slightly softer on recoil when using a buffer. I used one for awhile and removed it when I started to get failure to eject malfunctions. Removing the buffer solved the problem immediately.

Edited by Ronswin

NO.

If you get gunfixr's plug, find the lowest setting that ejects the birdshot and use it for everything 2 3/4", including Slugs. Just don't shoot 3" slugs on that setting.... even in the manual it says that setting 1 is for 3" setting 2 is for 2 3/4" shells.

this has been discussed in the past. From what I understand of the discussion last time, the recoil buffer is something intended to work on the Saiga rifles, but is a BAD IDEA for the Saiga shotguns. The recoil force on the rifles is sharper and faster, so softening it up is a doable proposition (if you really feel you want to, as the buffer has other problems.) The Saiga shotguns are a tad slower on the cycle as a function both of the rounds they fire and the modifications done to the original design to adapt it to them. Ergo, slowing-down the recoil will not allow for adequate shell ejection and frustration will ensue.

That's what I can recall of the discussion at least, so anyone correct me if I'm remembering it wrong. If you are looking to tame the wallop a bit, you would better be suited by a thicker recoil pad, and/or one of those mercury recoil dampener devices.

this has been discussed in the past. From what I understand of the discussion last time, the recoil buffer is something intended to work on the Saiga rifles, but is a BAD IDEA for the Saiga shotguns. The recoil force on the rifles is sharper and faster, so softening it up is a doable proposition (if you really feel you want to, as the buffer has other problems.) The Saiga shotguns are a tad slower on the cycle as a function both of the rounds they fire and the modifications done to the original design to adapt it to them. Ergo, slowing-down the recoil will not allow for adequate shell ejection and frustration will ensue.

That's what I can recall of the discussion at least, so anyone correct me if I'm remembering it wrong. If you are looking to tame the wallop a bit, you would better be suited by a thicker recoil pad, and/or one of those mercury recoil dampener devices.

I beg to differ.

The recoil buffer is designed to separate fools and ignorants from their money. Ignorant of how an AK works, most people solve a "bolt carrier contacts rear block" issue with a buffer, when in reality, it's the recoil spring that needs replacing.

The Kalashnikov design did not include a recoil buffer, even though buffer technology was available at the time.

Adding an aftermarket recoil buffer can lead to problems, with the most extreme being a cracked receiver.

Recoil Buffer - Saiga-12.com

Muzzle brakes? - Saiga-12.com

Installing the Buffer on the Saiga Shotgun - Saiga-12.com

Valmet Recoil Buffer (Does this actually work?) - Saiga-12.com

Definitive answer on recoil buffers? - Saiga-12.com

blackjack blue or black or ? buffer - Saiga-12.com

recoil buffer, noticed a difference? - Saiga-12.com

Edited by nalioth

I beg to differ.

The recoil buffer is designed to separate fools and ignorants from their money. Ignorant of how an AK works, most people solve a "bolt carrier contacts rear block" issue with a buffer, when in reality, it's the recoil spring that needs replacing.

The Kalashnikov design did not include a recoil buffer, even though buffer technology was available at the time.

Adding an aftermarket recoil buffer can lead to problems, with the most extreme being a cracked receiver.

Agreed.

As I recall, even when the device is not causing problems, there is the matter of durability. The softer ones don't last long, but if you go with a firmer one, it is firmer, and therefore not performing the function you had intended for it. It is a catch-22 that way, and as I said earlier, there are better ways to cut down on recoil, if that is what you want.

• 2 weeks later...

on my 223, i added a buffer. it was supposedly derlon material. It was as hard as a rock. i fired approx 70 rounds with it installed. the loop that goes around the spring has broken. it seems to be a bad idea for the firing pin too. it now has an indention in the buffer from when the firing pin hits as the bolt carrier flies back. it is like the firing pin is hit twice for each shot now. i dont plan to use it again.

• 4 months later...

I beg to differ.

The Soviets used recoil buffers on the PPSh1941 (fibre) and the PPs1943 (leather) submachine guns. They were obviously quite familiar with the use of buffers where they

thought them to be needed. The AK costs much more to build than the straight blowback open bolt firing pistol caliber submachineguns mentioned here. If a buffer was needed they could have designed one into the weapon......