About to take the plunge, DIY S.308 conversion.

And what do I need to buy?

I was thinking the Dinzag FCG for the .308. but I also need a pistol grip nut. Aside from the FCG, what do I need?

I've read that there is a lot of variation between various .308s making some easier, and others more difficult. . . what should I look for? Also, moving the trigger guard means the lower screwhole for my stock is nolonger there, where do you attach the lower part of the stock to?

Anyone know a good URL for a .308 conversion vid? Most of what I can find is for the other guns, and they seem to be slightly different.

The .308 I did was super easy. I used a Dinzag FCG. Took all of 45 minutes. Just remove the axis pin retainer, pull out the factory FCG, throw in the new one, and you're good to go. I would recommend dropping the $10 on an retainer plate, instead of using a spring or e-clips supplied with some FCG's. It's worth the time you save, IMO. Some stocks might require a bit of fitting. I just forced my Choate stock onto the receiver, and bolted everything in place. I used a bolt and a regular nut instead of a pistol grip nut, because my gun didn't have the square hole cut, and I didn't feel like fucking with it. It's extremely sturdy.

DSCF1324.jpg

Umm, I think you did the trigger guard wrong. :huh: You're supposed to put the front edge (where you've already drilled the spot weld) under the magazine release, use the hole as a guide to drill through the receiver and bolt it there.

Edited by Mike the Wolf

No need to drill the FCG linkage pins, as the 308 uses a dif. linkage, the fcg axis pins are held by shepards crock, no weird seesaw, just elongated trigger. use a flat head on the wire in the collars of pins on the inside of reciver. also remember to take out safety lever before trying, makes it easier.

Hope it helps

I've actually done conversion where the trigger guard is only screwed in by the rear screw through existing hole, bent so that it fits nice and snug under the mag release, some locktite and its pretty solid and much better looking imho than what elvis did.