I must be the exception

After lurking here for a brief while, I have come to realize that the majority have or will convert their Saiga's. Being the owner of several Kalishnakov variants, I understand the logic behind it. And if you think about it, Un-converting would be a more accurate description of the process by which most with undertake to bring their Russian weapons back to their original design configuration.

I just acquired a new ('08 manufactured model) Saiga 12, with fixed sites and 19-inch barrel. After disassembling the gun completely and inspecting the build aspects, I must say that I am impressed with my purchase. I have yet to fire it, but have gone through the action and trigger pull several times. I even chambered and discharged several shells to check loading and ejection. The finish is the nicest I have seen on a factory Kalishnakov variant and the furniture is not too bad either.

As the title implies, I feel like the exception when it comes to this weapon. I actually like the Monte-Carlo stock. It feels natural in my hands and when held to the shoulder. The "build a mouse-trap" trigger as it is called does have a spongy feel compared to my other AK's, but it is functional and this is a shotgun, after all. The 5rd factory mag looks good in the gun and is my only option with the sporting configuration. I will probably stock up on the comparable Taiwan mags. My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is the hollow buttstock. I will most likely fill it with something that will add integrity and a little weight to help balance the gun.

So does anyone else feel the way I do?

After lurking here for a brief while, I have come to realize that the majority have or will convert their Saiga's. Being the owner of several Kalishnakov variants, I understand the logic behind it. And if you think about it, Un-converting would be a more accurate description of the process by which most with undertake to bring their Russian weapons back to their original design configuration.

I just acquired a new ('08 manufactured model) Saiga 12, with fixed sites and 19-inch barrel. After disassembling the gun completely and inspecting the build aspects, I must say that I am impressed with my purchase. I have yet to fire it, but have gone through the action and trigger pull several times. I even chambered and discharged several shells to check loading and ejection. The finish is the nicest I have seen on a factory Kalishnakov variant and the furniture is not too bad either.

As the title implies, I feel like the exception when it comes to this weapon. I actually like the Monte-Carlo stock. It feels natural in my hands and when held to the shoulder. The "build a mouse-trap" trigger as it is called does have a spongy feel compared to my other AK's, but it is functional and this is a shotgun, after all. The 5rd factory mag looks good in the gun and is my only option with the sporting configuration. I will probably stock up on the comparable Taiwan mags. My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is the hollow buttstock. I will most likely fill it with something that will add integrity and a little weight to help balance the gun.

I did convert mine, but did not have too big of issue with the factory set up. In it's original form, it still feels better than most pump action shotguns. You can still get a GUNFIXER plug, KA puck, and 25% reduced hammerspring to increase performance without changing the sporting appearance.

I did convert mine, but did not have too big of issue with the factory set up. In it's original form, it still feels better than most pump action shotguns. You can still get a GUNFIXER plug, KA puck, and 25% reduced hammerspring to increase performance without changing the sporting appearance.

There you go again Patriot12. Are you like their salesman or what? Every post I read seems to have you pushing the GUNFIXER plug, KA puck, and 25% reduced hammerspring in some form or fashion. Please give it a rest already. And before you even ask, I do plan on ordering some to upgrade my saiga so relax already.

Edited by Crusader

I think quite a few guys do. IMO it depends on the type of guns you were brought up on.

Personally I prefer the pistol grip to the Monte Carlo stock, but if you like it and the trigger is good enough for you then keep it as it is.

Thanks for those recommedations, when I eventually do fire the weapon, I'll know if I need them. I'm thinking the hammerspring is a definate no-go.

Thanks for those recommedations, when I eventually do fire the weapon, I'll know if I need them. I'm thinking the hammerspring is a definate no-go.

You fellows better get it right.

A reduced power hammer spring will lead to light strikes / failure to fire.

You are talking about a reduced power recoil spring, I believe.

Nope, 25% reduced hammer spring from CSS and it will not lead to light strikes/ failure to fire.

post-15952-1240956722_thumb.jpg

I knew what Patriot12 was refering to. Please don't get him started. Next he will say get a Gunfixer plug and KA puck to go with the 25% reduced hammer spring. Spare us the agony.

I don't feel the same way you do, but i can respect the aproach. Theres nothing wrong with making a few small mods to the gun and using it as is. You have nothing to worry about 922r, but i still recomend getting either a wooden stock or having your sporter stock fitted with a mercury tube. I believe the wooden stock would be the better of these 2 choices and i hated the feel of the original sporter. It just felt cheap to me, and i felt like i was going to break the thin plastic.

there are some examples of some wonderful S-12s done up in a sporter configuration, indyarms for example has one.

If you go to dinzararms website you can find links to battlerifleG3s order sheet and ironwood designs(though i don't know if they do sporter style stocks). I have no idea where to find the factory wood style sporter stocks.

You've said you don't mind the trigger, but you still could consider upgrading the sight setup. I'm sure you'll agree that having the sights together so close isn't productive to consistant accuracy. H&K sights(weld on) or krebs custom ghost ring setups are available, and i also believe dinzagarms has front towers that can be used with the stock rear sight(this would be your most basic approach).

in any event welcome to the forum!

Edit: i forgot to mention, depending on your state laws you still might be interested in picking up a surefire 2 round mag for turky/waterfowl hunting. I have one and it functions exacly as i would expect- Reliably

Edited by Nailbomb
My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is the hollow buttstock. I will most likely fill it with something that will add integrity and a little weight to help balance the gun.

I could also use some input on this subject. I just got an s-12 for my wife and she prefers the sporting stock. I would like to explore the option of keeping the original stock because we are going to paint it, and I think painting wood furniture is an unpardonable sin.

Nailbomb whats this mercury tube you're talking about?

My only complaint, if you want to call it that, is the hollow buttstock. I will most likely fill it with something that will add integrity and a little weight to help balance the gun.

I could also use some input on this subject. I just got an s-12 for my wife and she prefers the sporting stock. I would like to explore the option of keeping the original stock because we are going to paint it, and I think painting wood furniture is an unpardonable sin.

I'm not nailbomb, but . .

Teach me about Mercury Tubes - Saiga-12.com

Muzzle Brake & Mercury Recoil Reducer - Saiga-12.com

Mercury Recoil Reducer - Saiga-12.com

Edited by nalioth

I'm not nailbomb, but . .

Teach me about Mercury Tubes - Saiga-12.com

Muzzle Brake & Mercury Recoil Reducer

Yeap, you gotta love this forum.

most of the time its ask and you shall recieve.

So vjor's post in the teach me about mercury tubes is probably the best bet for using a mercury tube in the factory stock?

cover the body of the mercury recoil on grease, install it

were you want it, fill around with non expandable spray foam, and let it sit, the grease

is use like that the foam dont stick to the body of the mercury recoil reducer

when the foam sets, and you can take it out if you want.

So vjor's post in the teach me about mercury tubes is probably the best bet for using a mercury tube in the factory stock?

were you want it, fill around with non expandable spray foam, and let it sit, the grease

is use like that the foam dont stick to the body of the mercury recoil reducer

Well if you don't want to do it yourself theres always...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=35315

is use like that the foam don't stick to the body of the mercury recoil reducer

Well if you don't want to do it yourself there's always...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=35315

Am I allowed to want the gun both ways? I want a thumbhole stock and an AK style front sight.(or anything that moves the sights further apart) I want to use all kinds of magazines and have a mercury tube. I don't want to do irreversible changes or have a gun that is legally iffy.

I really don't see the point of messing with moving the trigger stuff forward. there are several stock options that give you a pistol grip without cutting up your gun. the only thing I can see is that it makes the thing look more AK.(and maybe pulling the balance point back a bit) I see that as a disadvantage as much as something cool. I want a gun that works and has good ergonomics but won't get me hassled if I take it out in the woods.

To each his own. A lover of freedom will respect your personal choices. Go with what YOU want. Do not let anyone TELL you what you have to do. I researched and followed many threads here before jumping on this part or that and I must say the choices I made were the right ones...... for me that is.

As to the 25% reduced power HAMMER spring, after 300 rnds of #7 1/2 and 80 slugs, I had NO failures. And yes, like Patriot, I have the Gunfixer plug and the KA tappet. Perfect for some, but no for everyone.

The S12 is like a Burger King Burger...........

HAVE IT YOUR WAY!

:big_smile:

Am I allowed to want the gun both ways? I want a thumbhole stock and an AK style front sight.(or anything that moves the sights further apart) I want to use all kinds of magazines and have a mercury tube. I don't want to do irreversible changes or have a gun that is legally iffy.

I really don't see the point of messing with moving the trigger stuff forward. there are several stock options that give you a pistol grip without cutting up your gun. the only thing I can see is that it makes the thing look more AK.(and maybe pulling the balance point back a bit) I see that as a disadvantage as much as something cool. I want a gun that works and has good ergonomics but won't get me hassled if I take it out in the woods.

Your getting into legalities now, and yes you can have it both ways. The sights do not change its status in 922r so ANYONE can change them out and be ok.

I don't believe the RAA stock changes 922r either.

And then you need only add one other item to make it legal with US made hi cap mags

so US made Surefire, AGP, or Promag(i don't recomend)[MD drum would fit this selection too] For 3 US made parts- Body, Follower, Baseplate.

Add a muzzle break or polychoke, gas piston(chaos, KA, tromix[do they make them anymore?]) or any american made front stock for 1 US made piece.

your good.

And then you need only add one other item to make it legal with US made hi cap mags

so US made Surefire, AGP, or Promag(i don't recomend)[MD drum would fit this selection too] For 3 US made parts- Body, Follower, Baseplate.

Add a muzzle break or polychoke, gas piston(chaos, KA, tromix[do they make them anymore?]) or any american made front stock for 1 US made piece.

your good.

Hell, you don't even need all that. Just take the thread protector off. Gone is the foreign made "muzzle device" and you're down to 10 parts.