• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TPABA,

10mm definately had more muzzle energy than a .45 ACP (standard, not super). But, you run into the difficulty of getting affordable rounds for it. There are a couple of companies that make very good 10mm rounds, including hunting rounds, but they are usually expensive.

I opted for the .45 ACP for that reason...

Now, back to the 10mm for hunting, you might want to check the laws of your state to insure that this is legal. Glock makes a 6 inch barrel for the G20 (10mm Glock) for hunting, as some states require that long of a barrel for pistol hunting. I personally know several people that use the G20 to hunt deer, and usually get one! I believe the 10mm to be an excellent hunting round, especially paired with the G20... the felt reciol is very mild.

For personal defense, I would suggest the Glock model 21 or model 30 (both .45 ACP). Cheaper to shoot and practice with, and practice is what is important for self defense.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to Winchester you can see that the super-x silver tipped 175gr. 10mm(the only 10mm round they make) is $0.15 cheaper for 20 rounds. I'm comparing to the silver tipped 185gr. .45, of course. Someone told me you can hunt with a .45... 10mm would be more fun and it's a little cheaper also. I want more powerful... I like it... maybe I'll even get the compensated version... I'm still on whether to get a .45 or 10mm... 10mm is a good... it has stopping power also... just go to a gun show... you think I'd find 10mm rounds in gun shows? If not, I know I can order it from the net.

PS. Oh, winchester only makes a personal defence 10mm round... it's 175 gr... can I use that for hunting? Is it better to have a heavier bullet for big game... such as deer? I usually take a 20 ga... but glock is just more fun. I was thinking of taking a glock with my bow... getting small game and bow deer licenses... if I see a racoon, I'd just lay it out... they eat turkey eggs and I hope to go turkey hunting soon. Can you deer hunt with a .45? The muzzle energy is really low... like 411 foot pounds... 10mm is like 649... lets round it to 650. Where to get hunting rounds for 10mm? Should I try some gunshows?

Edited by TPABA

IMO, the 10mm is an excellent subgun round, probably one of the best. But as a general self-defense round in a handgun, it leaves a little to be desired, most notably in the areas of recoil and muzzle blast. Back when I used to shoot IPSC against some real heavies (including a Secret Service weenie on Carter's detail) one of the top regional shooters who had been winning with a tricked out 1911 showed up with a Bren 10. Even slackers like me were beating him. Next match he showed up with his 1911 again. He claimed that the recoil of the 10 was slowing down his recovery time.

I'm pretty sure that in a non-defense gun like a Desert Eagle, or the T/C Contender would make an excellent platform for a full power 10mm.

I'm talking about the Glock 20C... that's what I want. Since I can't decide maybe I'll just get the 21C and the 20C... then all I need is an 18C. You can get a compensated glock that will lessen the recoil, plus I want it for hunting as well as self defence. Although, .45 hunting rounds are quite strong as compared to 10mm hunting rounds. 10mm is good for defense also... maybe I'll get both. Is it a good idea to order ammo from the net? Like from winchester or cor-bon? I'm still wondering which one is for me... I just don't know... I want the better one... and they're both good... which one is better?

Edited by TPABA

"Which is better?" - They both have thier applications. Personally, for a personal defense round, I would stick with the .45 ACP. There are several very good shooting rounds that make about 500 ft-lbs. at the muzzle (185 grain +P Golden Saber's for one, 200 train +P Gold Dots, some Corbon, etc), if that is important for you... The G20 is a very nice shooter indeed, but it does have more of a "snappy" recoil than the G21 using the Winchester silvertips you were talking about. For self defense, it really isn't the caliber that you choose, but how well you shoot it. For example, I would feel very comfortable using my G19 9mm for personal defense, because of the shot placment. Sure, it doesn't have the energy that my G21 does, but to be honest, in my opinion, it doesn't matter. Think about it, if muzzle energy was the be all and end all of defensive rounds, wouldn't we all be carrying .454 Cassul or .500 S&W or 45/70 revolvers?

I would avoid at all costs a compensated Glock. First off, I have shoot the G21C and the G20C and the diference in recoil is minimal. They do have a SLIGHT advantage that way, but the disadvantages are greater in my mind. The flash is distracting in low light, making it difficult to get your sight picture quickly. They are louder, so if you have a flinching problem, it will get worse. The compensated Glocks are DANGEROUS for personal defense, as if you shoot from retention, you run the risk of burning your face or even blinding yourself. If you must have a compensated Glock (which for your purposes, you don't) get a non-compensated barrel for about $160.00 when relying on it for self defense. The ONLY benefit for them is for USPSA / IDPA competitions. Also, to be technically correct, the Glocks are ported, not compensated... from my understanding there is a slight difference. But, we are talking symantics here...

Back to the cost of ammunition, you gave examples of expensive personal defense / hunting rounds, you didn't give examples of practice rounds. You have a much wider variety with .45 ACP for relatively in-expensive practice rounds. You don't have that for 10mm. 10mm is much harder to find.

Find a place and rent them both, and buy the one you shoot better. That would be my suggestion. They both are great guns... you really can't go "wrong" with either... but purchase it informed.

I don't really need practice rounds, nor do I have a problem with lots of recoil. I shot a .44 magnum revolver before... I expected more kick... it was a bit disappointing... after shooting it I realized I could shoot it one handed.

Got it, no to compensation... Cor-bon hunting rounds are rather expensive... and winchester makes supreme for .45, but only super-x for 10mm. The cor-bon 45COLT/MAG +P -- 300gr JSP is stronger than any 10mm round I ever found... can you use those in a G21?

Also, since we're on rounds... for hunting is faster more important than bullet weight? Remington sells high velocity slugs that are faster than winchester slugs... but they weigh less... I'm talking for a 20ga... remington is only 1/2oz... winchester is 3/4oz... that's a 1/4oz. difference for only 200 fps more. Is it better? I think winchester is good enough at 1600 fps... and that's at 3ft.

How safe is it to buy ammo over the net? Is your name pretty much on every round?

I need something for self-defense(handgun - glock) that I may also need for hunting and survival. 10mm has really got a hold of me, that round interests me... mainly because it was created for the FBI and it would be like using their rounds against them... lol j/k... maybe. 10mm is just good because you can use any 10mm for hunting, defense or anything... and I won't have a kick problem... I'm a one shot kill type person.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The numbers would say that the 10mm is a better round. Cost wise, I prefer the .45ACP. I shoot quite often and when I shoot, I shoot for a long time. This equals lots of ammo. 10mm rounds are more expensive in the long run and there's less variety compared to the .45ACP. That and the fact that I'm a huge fan of the 1911s. I've got other handguns, a Walther PPKS (had to be like 007), several .22LR pistols by generic makers (for the kids), an Isreali Arms Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum and one in .50 cal (I know I've been told I could just buy different uppers for the same frame and change calibers but I wanted two of them anyway).

I've got 4 1911 variants though that are my favorite handguns to shoot. I've got a Llama full size 1911 copy that's my plinker (cheap to shoot and if I shoot it out, it's ok since it cost only $200), a Colt model 70 (just to be able to say I have a Colt 1911 type), a Springfield WWII 1911 copy (just purchased brand new) and a Kimber Custom 1911. I love them all (the Kimber is just a dream to shoot).

For self defense, I'm in agreement with Wicked96SS. Two well placed rounds can stop most anyone. I'm not the best shot but while practicing, I can draw and double tap at a human size target and put two rounds in either the chest or the head out to 25 ft. The largest room in my home is 20 ft wide/long etc... The way I figure, I don't care if the 10mm is better on paper. Any of my .45ACPs will do the job at home, as will the Walther (.380 Auto). The Desert Eagles... well, they'd tend to shoot through people and I don't want to have to deal with that.

Hunting wise, I've seen people out with 1911 type pistols, as I've gone hunting with my Kimber many a time. For our state (WI) as long as it's larger than .25 Caliber and has a minimum barrel length of 5 inches, you're good to go. As such, I'm sure the 10mm would be fine for hunting too so long as you meet all the barrel length requirements, unless other states have a minimum requirement for muzzle energy.

Like Wicked said, shoot both before you buy one. Buy the one that suits you best. I never buy a firearm that doesn't feel good to me, in the hand, while shooting etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest_woody

If I were you I would spend a little bit more and get a Kimber whether it be the .45 or the 10mm. The kimbers are tighter toleranced at the factory than glocks giving you obviously better accuracy. KIMBER KIMBER KIMBER!!!!!!!!

10mm is a superior round to the 45 ACP I think. BUT if you dont want to spend tons of money on ammo, get a .40 s+w. Large # of rounds you can carry, punches through most anything like a rifle round. I have stood 3/4" plywood poppers on edge, shot them with the .40, and they dont even twitch. A .45 would prolly throw them, but you dont get as many rounds or as much penetration with them.

45ACP is NOT cheap. I can get 50 rounds of .40 for 6 or 7 bucks. .45 is at LEAST two bucks more for 50. You reload, so you dont have to worry about that. Most 45 shooters I know all reload. Its a great round, but I still like the .40 S+W better. Just my preference. Solid round out of a .40 will drop the guy you are aiming for and the dude in back of him, from what I can tell.

shotgun_lobotomy: have you ever tried a compact .40? I hope noone carries cheap stuff out and about, btw. Wolf .40 is how much ? I think its like 5 bucks a box.

Edited by Bvamp

Yeh, actually looking at case prices, they are about the same cost from wolf. I like the .45ACP, dont get me wrong, but I just am taken by the .40. I dont know what it is, I just like it better for some reason. Prolly cause it cuts trees down with fewer rounds LOL :angel:

One more thing though.....a frangible .32 auto round will leave a fist sized hole in a body. What do you think a .40 or .45 would look like in the same round. I dont think its much different in the end. Cept the .40 has more rounds, and will go through body armor with a police legal round. (I thought that is why they invented the .40 in the first place, actually) So you take one step back and die with a .45....you take one step forward and die with a .40. You are still dead, though right?

LOL ak vs AR arguement. Yeh, Ive been in a few of those. I would rather drop in one shot at 300 yards and carry more ammo, myself. If that wasnt an issue? the AK is far superior. Fine line I say either way. Same can be said for 40 vs 45. 10mm is the original .40 round, but those buggers are too expensive for my blood. Plus there is the aforementioned follow up shot time. I like my .40. I like .45's as well. I would carry both, myself. I try to stick to as few calibers as possible, and I decided the more modern .40 S+W round was the way to go. Much better for tree clearing and excavating stumps and boulders IMHO. :angel:

you are correct in that statement. BUT, if you look at it, all i would need to do is go up to the police myself. I seriously hope that day never comes in this country, but hey, I hear ya 100%. Exact reason I own both 7.62 and .223. You carry a handgun into combat, yer asking to get shot anyway. You have to get too close with a pistol to be effective. Self-defense and CQB is a totally diff story though. Id still take the .40 then. Like I said a ways back, if there ever WAS a revolution, I would take a .22 and a 12 gauge. the 12 gauge is for FOOD.

yeah its not the smallest to have under my arm but it isnt bad, the mag under my other arm bothers me more. had to go with a vertical shoulder cause the horz stuck out the back, but ive had close to 3000 rounds thro it with 2 stovepipes(my fualt totally) so its so dependable i put up with the size cause i know im gonna put a major hurting on the bad guy(s)

Mine fits in my pants pocket if I want. It just looks big in my avatar pic. Like I said though, it only has failed me shooting wolf ammo with those damn steel primers. A buck more for ammo per 50 rounds isnt a big deal though.