Filling the hollow "sporting" stock

After coming up short when doing searches (both here and the 'net) on this topic, I found myself brainstorming on what to fill my hollow factory/sporting/Monte Carlo buttstock with. The fact that it is hollow is not a real concern for me, just a area for improvement/adjustment. A little weight should help with balance and sound dampening would be nice as well. After contemplating several ideas, I have decided to go with raw polymer pellets. I am fortunate to work for a manufacturer whose products are 100% polymer based. So I can get pure, clean, raw polymer in (round) pellet form. The pellets are about the size of common BB's, and should pack nicely into any tight areas. And if the need ever arises, it could be removed easily.

Another area of improvement for me is adding a shoulder sling. The Saiga's sling swivel "loops" are narrow but should accomodate a 1 inch sling. I have a surplus sling but it has metal tabs on the ends that won't fit through the loops. I know that the front loop will pivot out when you remove the retaining screw and I am hoping that the back one will as well. That way, I can insert the sling without having to remove the tabs.

I'll update my progress and give my take on the addition of the polymer as soon as I get it accomplished. It may be a week though....it's bike week at Panama City Beach and I'll be downing a few 1$ PBR's, checking out the bikini contests, and hoping to win a new Davidson in the raffle! :chris:

Go to Home Depot and get a can of Expanding Foam. Take off buttstock cover, spray inside of stock with PAM or whatever spray veggie oil and insert a big plastic bag. Fill with expanding foam.

Add weight by drilling holes(s) in foam after it sets up and adding whatever you have like bolts, lead, heck wooden dowels.

It's easy to take the foam out too..

When I do electrical connections underground and they have to be isolated (from water, or vibration) I pour a "potting solution" in it. It dries hard as a rock and fills every nook and cranny. The only problem is it is very permanent, but you can drill and tap it.

Hope this helps

Sand.

That was actually my first thought. But I ruled it out as the polymer would just be a cleaner alternative.

EDIT

Well, I have my solution!!

I finished it up this morning. While I was pretty set on the polymer pellets, I kept thinking about hot glue. I was worried about the heat, but found that the hot glue has a lower melting point than the polymer (duh) so it wouldn't be a factor. Then there is the issue of it being permanent. I got to thinking.....so what? I don't need that space and there is nothing to access inside there.......so I proceeded.

I bought an industrial grade hot glue gun some time ago for another project and just happened to have a package of 24 - 10" glue sticks from Wally World. It took all 24. I first filled the "handgrip" via the access cap. Once I filled it, I replaced the cap and tightned the screw. Then I began filling the main section in the buttstock. This took a little time, but not as long as I thought. After replacing the endcap, I left it standing, barrel down, until it cooled.

After a couple of hours to cool, I lifted the gun and thought "Wow! Now this feels like a shotgun!" It added some much needed heft, without being heavy. Now the balance point is about 1/2" ahead of the mag release which is almost dead center of the weapon. I began lifting it into firing position and lowering it several times. It never felt overdone or too heavy. I can grasp the mag with my left hand and pivot the gun up and down and it just feels right. The hollow stock is now solid as stone and I couldn't help but thump it a few times to hear the solid "thud".

It doesn't feel cheap anymore. I'm happy that I was able to correct the only dislike I had about my new S12. :smoke:

Now to get a decent sling.

Edited by TheDarkHorse