drums and estate buckshot yes/no go?

100rnd value packs of Federal Multi Purpose, 2 3/4", 1 1/8oz, #7 1/2 or #8 shot, $24.00 at Wally World, they work in my MD20.

25rnd value packs of Winchester Super X Heavy Game or Super Target, 2 3/4", 1 1/8oz, #4 - #8 shot, $7.00- $15.00 at Bass Pro Shops, Cabelas, Academy Sports and others, they work just fine too.

250rnd of Winchester Super X Heavy Game or Super Target, 2 3/4", 1 1/8oz, #4 - #8 shot, $55.00-$70.00 at Cabelas.

If that is too expensive for you, then you are in the wrong hobby.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I tried two full drum dumps with the Cabela's bulk-type Esate 00 buck. It fits into the drum just fine but seemed to have the high-brass FTF and FTE type problems every 7th round or so(as has been well documented with some of the other high brass loads). Expect this to be fixed by the new gas plugs.

Edited by wayne grow
I tried two full drum dumps with the Cabela's bulk-type Esate 00 buck. It fits into the drum just fine but seemed to have the high-brass FTF and FTE type problems every 7th round or so(as has been well documented with some of the other high brass loads). Expect this to be fixed by the new gas plugs.

I really hope so. Any buckshot shells only sold 5/box at more than $1 per shell sucks. Just disappointed that they don't seem to work with any bulk buckshot loads. It's not like you can go bird hunting with a 20 round drum. Maybe starling control but that would be about it. I don't mind getting new gas plugs I just want the drums to work with ANY bulk buckshot loads. Estate, S&B, Rio, Noble, Wolf etc. I just didn't think they would be this picky on ammo.

S&B and Noble are roll-crimped so the shells are too long. Wolf isn't all that cheaper than other "better" buckshot. I'm not sure if wolf will work or not, but the lowest I've seen it was $4.95. Pretty much $1 per.

S&B and Noble are roll-crimped so the shells are too long. Wolf isn't all that cheaper than other "better" buckshot. I'm not sure if wolf will work or not, but the lowest I've seen it was $4.95. Pretty much $1 per.

Why couldn't you take bulk bird shoot loads that work in your gun mag combo and open them up, pour out the shot, and put buck back in? I have not tried it yet but you could even cast your own balls for an investment of less than $150.00. I think that a .690 ball would be a lot of fun too. You would melt down the shot that was in the shell so lead costs would be low too.

wolf buckshot is the same. it has the roll crimp and is to long. the cheapest and best buckshot i found was the remington value pack from walmart. they were 11 dollars for a box of 15 and they have the same in slugs for 9 dollars. cant wait to try the slugs out.

Edited by rgb03
Why couldn't you take bulk bird shoot loads that work in your gun mag combo and open them up, pour out the shot, and put buck back in? I have not tried it yet but you could even cast your own balls for an investment of less than $150.00. I think that a .690 ball would be a lot of fun too. You would melt down the shot that was in the shell so lead costs would be low too.

Would the powder charge in bird shot be anywhere near enough to actually do anything with buckshot? I don't have any reloading equipment so and even if I did, I'm not sure I'd try it.

wolf buckshot is the same. it has the roll crimp and is to long. the cheapest and best buckshot i found was the remington value pack from walmart. they were 11 dollars for a box of 15 and they have the same in slugs for 9 dollars. cant wait to try the slugs out.

I thought the remington value packs used 3 inch shells? Have you tried them with the drum? Because, if they fit I'd like to get some myself.

Would the powder charge in bird shot be anywhere near enough to actually do anything with buckshot? I don't have any reloading equipment so and even if I did, I'm not sure I'd try it.

I thought the remington value packs used 3 inch shells? Have you tried them with the drum? Because, if they fit I'd like to get some myself.

the ones i got are 2 3/4 . i think remington does make them in 3 inch to.

Edited by rgb03

the ones i got are 2 3/4 . i think remington does make them in 3 inch to.

An ounce of birdshot is the same as an ounce of buckshot or a slug. I am sure this will work and am going to order the molds to do it. There is a sabot slug available from lyman which may be very interesting too. I don't think the sabot will be a drop in fit to the federal field loads that I now have but I think it will work with a high base 1 1/4 oz shot load. Still a lot cheeper. I am a recent convert to the Saiga 12 and it is really a fun gun to shoot. Just want to send some bigger chunks downrange. The MD20 is coming soon.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I think this this may really work for the original poster.

None of the Walmarts near Seattle sell ammo in a reliable way. I always have the worst experience trying to buy ammo there so I gave up.

Then buy it online? I doubt Remington ships their value packs to walmart alone.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, bit of range data, I'm a first run drum guy, took the drum back to the range with the new gas plug which arrived as promised from Mike. As stated in my post above was originally having FTF and FTE with the ammo specified originally in this thread. I installed my plug per instructions. The plug bottomed out at -1 as expected per instructions. The Estate 2 3/4 Buck from Cabella's continued to FTE about every 7th round or so on -1 and +1 settings. (interestingly no FTF's at that point). With setting +2 seemed to clean up further, maybe FTF every 10 rounds or so. Dumped whole 20 round drum with flawless function on setting +3. (was a bit surprised by the overall outcome, my understanding is that this is exactly opposite of what would be expected, with -1 and +1 being intended for the buckshot....) Either way seemed to work well on +3 with the ammo specified but would like to see more successful full drum dumps with this ammo, in my drum, in my gun before trusting in a tactical setting. 120 rounds fired total. All fired from standard length barrel, Tromix modified gun, buttstock firmly planted on shoulder at about 85 degrees F. FWIW

THANKS MIKE FOR A REALLY FUN PRODUCT AND GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!!!!!YOU'RE A VISIONARY.

Note---my "cleaned up" AGP mags functioned perfectly on setting +2 with this ammo. No other settings tested with those mags.

Edited by wayne grow
Check out B & P got pretty good prices

+1

I bought several cases of everything they had available when they had a promotional sale, haven't had any problems with it at all, mags or drums, and its all ive been running through it since then, though im begining to run low, and might have to find something else. They make excellent slugs.

Only possible concern is that the base of the shell has a plastic ring around the primer cup, I dont reload shotshells, so i dont know for sure, but you might not be able to, or have to work up a custom load, if thats something you are looking for in a shotshell. Personally I was just happy to get slugs and buckshot for not much more than the prices some shops around here charge for birdshot.