Anybody noticed heavy receiver grind marks on the latest batch of Saig

Looks to me like the S-20 receiver may have been marked Canta-12 and ground down and remarked Canta-20. The grind marks are very noticeable. The grinding area takes up the front third of the left side. It appears to have reduced the receiver wall thickness as well. Thanks for any information.

This is a new "Special"........very few 20's are coming in right now........I wonder if they were just trying to knock out some guns without retooling from the 12 ga. setups....................if you are worried about the wall thickness send an e-mail to RAAC about replacement..........I'm getting the "factory seconds" to tear down for warranty parts so I'll eventually get to take a look at it. :rolleyes:

I have a couple spots like that on my 12 I think. I would think there is enough metal left for it to be safe to use (I'd use it)

I do wish they would set the mismarked receivers aside instead of sending them out.

Those type of cross-out marks were often seen when the importer changed, but they would be located elsewhere on the receiver. Looks like they just mismarked one of the specifications on yours.

• 4 months later...

Here's the markings on my S-20. There is something there they crossed out:

saiga20.jpg

It is the export version of Saiga. In Russia it was a long choke model (Saiga 20S), but it was factory rebuild to the short cylinder version. The barrel and the choke were cut out and the mark was changed - the older one was deleted and the new one written.

I have the same one.

As I see it was produced in 2006. In 2006-2007 Izhmash had a huge contract with Venezuela for long choke saigas. Seems like they produced more rifles than needed and after that converted some of them to the other versions.

Here is a couple of shots of the receivers.

WOW! id be pissed and probably demand a new gun! I know its Russia, but that is just totally unacceptable to let something out of the factory like that! Fortunately though, there is a solution for this, should you decide to keep this gun. I discovered that Rust-Oleum textured semi-gloss paint is almost an identical match to the factory stuff, and would most likely cover that up and you wouldnt be able to tell...its great paint, and VERY durable and it conseals most imperfections because it fills really well.

good luck

Edited by RoughRider666
  • Like 1

The grind is a real factory's fuckup. You guys are getting the export versions of saiga where such things are quite rare. On the local market here in Russia it's a real problem. 50% of all saigas from the factory are having something like that.

It was a nice joke from the Izhmash several years ago. A man bought a brand new S12 from the local dealer. Being quite a busy person first time he tried it was a year after. He tried to arm it, but nothing has happened. The shell didn't go into the chamber. He removed the cover and ... everyone was totally surprised to see that his S12 has no chamber! He sent it to the plant with the reclamation "broken, has no chamber". In fact, what have happened? The plant packed the deactivated S12 made for exibition and sold it as a normal one :)

It is a real funny country :)

• Like 1

I must say, the grind marks aren't such a big deal to me. I bought the gun to shoot, this little cosmetic issue doesn't take away from the function or utility of the gun. These are still the 169$ rifles that were imported 10 years ago, were just paying a lot more for them because they are popular and because the dollar ain't what it used to be.

The grind is a real factory's fuckup. You guys are getting the export versions of saiga where such things are quite rare. On the local market here in Russia it's a real problem. 50% of all saigas from the factory are having something like that.

It was a nice joke from the Izhmash several years ago. A man bought a brand new S12 from the local dealer. Being quite a busy person first time he tried it was a year after. He tried to arm it, but nothing has happened. The shell didn't go into the chamber. He removed the cover and ... everyone was totally surprised to see that his S12 has no chamber! He sent it to the plant with the reclamation "broken, has no chamber". In fact, what have happened? The plant packed the deactivated S12 made for exibition and sold it as a normal one :)

It is a real funny country :)

Nice!

The marks dont look bad though, and like Tony Said, you can always claim its the rarest of variants to some collector somewhere down the road. I had a 1900 Morgan silver dollar for a while, it was minted with a die sold off from the carson city mint, they ground down the CC mintmark and put the proper Orleans O over it, but you could still see the ghost of the original mark.

According to the value book, it nearly doubled in value every year that i had it, then some methhead stole it, with the rest of my coin collection. Probably bought a snickers with it.

My S12 has the same marked out markings as the second set of pictures, good to hear the story behind it. Im glad my shotty barely escaped being a Chavez "Change" Chopper.

• 4 weeks later...