I have made my s 12 compliant with a US mag and flash hider.

Question: If I take out the US 10-round mag and replace it with the Russian factory 5-round,

have I become non-compliant because the muzzle brake/flash hider has made it "non-sporting"

and I have lost the 3 US parts from the 10-round mag?

You have not made your gun compliant by adding a muzzle attachment and US magazine, you just made a felony. You need to remove at least 5 foreign parts to have a compliant firearm. The rule is 10-or-fewer foreign made parts.

You started with:

1. Receiver

2. Barrel

3. Mounting Block

4. Muzzle Attachment or Cover

5. Bolt

6. Bolt Carrier

7. Gas Piston

8. Trigger

9. Hammer

10. Disconnector

11. Buttstock

12. Handguard

13. Mag Body

14. Mag Follower

15. Mag Floorplate

You removed the magazine (3 parts) and muzzle attachment (1 part), thus you have 11 foreign made parts. Since you don't want to convert your rifle, I'd recommend getting a replacement gas piston from one of the vendors pretty much all of them sell them now.

Once you replace your Russian piston, you'll be compliant. If you put your original Russian made magazine in, again, you will not be compliant.

I strongly disagree.

When you are using 5 round mags (or "Sporting" magazines) in your Saiga shotgun (10 round or less in a Saiga rifle), you are not violating 922r with a pistol grip or any other 'feature'.

I am getting a lot of mileage out of this explanatory thread today.

Edited by nalioth
You have not made your gun compliant by adding a muzzle attachment and US magazine, you just made a felony. You need to remove at least 5 foreign parts to have a compliant firearm. The rule is 10-or-fewer foreign made parts.

You started with:

1. Receiver

2. Barrel

3. Mounting Block

4. Muzzle Attachment or Cover

5. Bolt

6. Bolt Carrier

7. Gas Piston

8. Trigger

9. Hammer

10. Disconnector

11. Buttstock

12. Handguard

13. Mag Body

14. Mag Follower

15. Mag Floorplate

You removed the magazine (3 parts) and muzzle attachment (1 part), thus you have 11 foreign made parts. Since you don't want to convert your rifle, I'd recommend getting a replacement gas piston from one of the vendors pretty much all of them sell them now.

Once you replace your Russian piston, you'll be compliant. If you put your original Russian made magazine in, again, you will not be compliant.

I started with 14 (no mounting block on the threaded S 12) and replaced 4 with US parts (mag & brake), so I'm down to a compliant 10.

If the brake does not make it "non-sporting" then I would be home free if I put the 5-round Saiga mag in it.

Added: It appears from other threads that the only thing that triggers "non-sporting" 922r compliance requirements is going over the shotgun 5-round or 10-round rifle mag limit.

Edited by SELFDEFENSE