.308 bullets in x39 Saiga

I've got more .308 bullets in 110 to 125gr. weights than I do .311. Am wondering if they will perform acceptably when shot from a 7.62x39 Saiga. Has anyone tried?

They used to shoot reasonably well from my old Mini-30; but that had a .308 barrel.

Bob

Didn't ya ever hear not to put ANY round in your chamber that the gun is not marked for? Darwinian law applies.

Ummmm....Tritium? You joking? .308" diameter Bullets, those copper jacketed lead thingies...not a .308 round/cartridge. How would one get a .308 cartridge into an x39 chamber anyway?

The Sierra Reloading manual (version I have, anyway) shows 7.62x39 load data for both .308 bullets and .311 bullets. Many 7.62x39 reloading die sets include case neck expanders for both .308 and .311 bullets.

Just wondered how well the smaller bullet loaded into an x39 case performed in a Saiga.

Bob

Didn't ya ever hear not to put ANY round in your chamber that the gun is not marked for? Darwinian law applies.

Ummmm....Tritium? You joking? .308" diameter Bullets, those copper jacketed lead thingies...not a .308 round/cartridge. How would one get a .308 cartridge into an x39 chamber anyway?

The Sierra Reloading manual (version I have, anyway) shows 7.62x39 load data for both .308 bullets and .311 bullets. Many 7.62x39 reloading die sets include case neck expanders for both .308 and .311 bullets.

Just wondered how well the smaller bullet loaded into an x39 case performed in a Saiga.

Bob

accuracy would suffer some. I would also think the velocity would be down a little. If I remember correctly Ruger's Mini 30 has a .308 bore dia.

Alot of the ammo you buy that is suposed to use .311 bullets use .308 get out your calipers and measure them. It would hurt your accuracy at long range but for plinking and just general mayhem they work just fine.

-E

Edited by Norseman
  • 1 month later...

That is true, SPOMOD. Each barrel is unique, even among other arms manufactures. I had a Bersa Thunder .380 that shot good groups, and end up trading it. Then, bought another Bersa Thunder .380 for the wife to shoot. THIS one is a tack driver, literally. I imagine the same thing applies to the SAIGA as well. I just bought my 7.62 x 39 last night and haven't shot it as yet. I, too, used to reload the 7.62 x 39 for my Ruger Mini-30 and wsa actually better on the rifle than the military bulk stuff that shoots .311 (or thereabouts) In that case, shooting the military ammo was actually creating a lot more head pressure than reloading using .308 bullets. Not much, but a little, since it was a tighter fit of the bullet down the barrel. The actual size of a bullet changes very quickly when fired, somewhere withing the first inch or so of going down the rifling. Once it is "sized" it pretty much is that size the remainder of the way. It's just that initial sizing that matters most though.

.308 is only 3 thousands smaller than the .311 bullets. I do not know what the bore spec tolerances are on these rifles, but any bullet that was close to size +/- 3 thousands should work. The initial pressure causing expansion of the bullet should fight tight in the bore, AS LONG as the bore is at spec of 0.311" If it's a t .0.314 (3 thousands oversize) then you have a lot of space to make up.

So, to be more precise, as was stated, if the rifle bore is measured and checked, and near to 0.308 - 0.311 I think you will be ok. It is when they bore might open up a bit that would create more problems. However, the one consolation is that in all practicality, the rifling will last much longer and you SHOULD (doesn't mean it will happen) have lower pressures in the firing.

Hope this makes a little sense.

My .308 Saiga slugged out to .3105. Is that normal? By comparison my Russian Izhmash Tiger in 7.62x54R slugged to .312.

BTW the steps I took was to plug the barrel about 2 inches from the muzzle, poured in the molten Cerrosafe and popped it out after it cooled. Several hours later it shows this reading.

post-7716-1245735315_thumb.jpg