410 Saiga recoil?

Hey everyone, first time poster.

Im looking for a low recoiling shotgun for home defense and informal range shooting. I say low recoil because ive had shoulder problems lately and doctor says heavy recoil isnt a good idea.

So I figure a 410 shotgun is my best option, did some research and came upon the saiga. Looks like an awesome gun!

Anyway...whats the recoil like? Id likely be using #4 birdshot.

Does the gun work with 2 1/2 in. shells? Or will only 3 in. shells cycle the action?

Thanks for the help!

Recoil is quite mild, it will feed 2.5" shells with the 2.5" mag, youll have to buy that seperate. 3' shells dont recoil much more anyhow, if thats your worry.

I'd say recoil is around what a 223 is or so.

PS, dont use birdshot for HD, use buck or slugs. Birdshot just doesnt have the mass to be a "manstopper".

As others have previously stated the recoil is very light -- sort of like the various carbines that fire pistol shells in a rifle sized platform. Sort of a, bumpety - bumpety, recoil not a smack or a shove like most shotguns.

As far as shell sizes go, as long as you get one with an adjustable gas piston set up (some of the older models you might find used don't have this) you can shoot both the 2-1/2" and 3" shells. You will have to buy separate magazines for each shell size and switch the gas piston setting back and forth when switching ammo, but it works fine. Only takes a second to switch between the two settings with a coin out of your pocket to depress the little keeper in the slot and rotate the adjuster one half turn one way or the other.

For defensive purposes most are going with either the S&B 5-pellet OO-buck 3" load or the Winchester 5-pellet OOO-buck 3" load. In both cases two trigger pulls with the S-410 is basically equal to one trigger pull with a 12ga. gun. Get a few 15 round high capacity mags. and fill them up with these 3" loads and you won't have a problem taking down a whole pack of thugs on a dark and terrible night if you have too.

I believe that the saiga .410 is a SUPURB HD lead delivery device. Mag fed, 000x5 buck, single stack .36 round balls, that is nearly 3/4 oz of lead.

as turbo stated "In both cases two trigger pulls with the S-410 is basically equal to one trigger pull with a 12ga."

I have read several posts stating that a .410 is 1/3 of a 12 ga.

My reloading data shows otherwise....it is indeed closer 1/2, (for a 3")

When I too was researching the best HD device with my limited resoarses, the choice was clear for me, mag fed, high cap, smooth bore, round ball, tough, well tested ( it's an A-k).

Now for the down side......410 ammo is OUTRAGOUS! WHY does it cost 2x for !/2 the lead....1/2 the powder...1/2 the plastic....etc.

The upside....which has lead me to to reloading.....1/2 the cost for lead....1/2 the powder etc.

but, seriously ( and this is important), first came the .410, (it was the choice that I could afford for HD), then came the 12 ga....then the .308, YAHOO!. Then the 20 ga. which my be my favorite.

Buyer beware!

Thanks guys. Sounds like it could work for me. I could shoot just the 2.5 shells while I do my physical therapy and my arm (hopefully) heals over the next few months. Once I am back to 100% I can move up to the 3 in shells.

In general, does buckshot or slugs kick harder than birdshot? Assuming they are the same size shells?

Edited by guvnor

Definitely overthinking it. the 3" is hardly noticeable in terms of more recoil. When I said .223, I was referring to 3" slug or buck. Its really mild. Nothing like a 12 or 20 if thats what youre thinking. They put it in revolver and derringers and its quite manageable in them too.

shotgun recoil (ft. lbs. )

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_recoil_table.htm

Than you can compare it to the recoil of rifles you've shot. Or vice versa.

Rifle recoil (ft. lbs. )

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

With all due respect I'd like to dispute the idea that felt recoil is simply a matter of cartridge used and the weight of the gun. I have a double barrel 410 gun that is almost the same weight as my S-410 it is in fact just slightly heavier -- It definitely kicks harder then my S-410 (and no I'm not firing both barrels at the same time :rolleyes: ). I also have a bolt action 223-Rem. that kicks harder than the S-410. According to those charts the S-410 should kick just as hard as an equal weight 243-Win. And an equal weight 223-Rem. should kick half as hard as an equal weight 410-bore. Those tables do not take into consideration the fact that long stroke semi-auto actions absorb a lot of the felt recoil. My point is that a bolt action, break action, or pump action gun is always going to feel like it kicks harder then a semi-auto action, especially a long stroke semi-auto action like the S-410 has.

Edited by turbo1889