Ok so I bought the TAPCO synthetic warsaw length AK stock. it comes with a little drill bit to pre drill holes in it and the mounting screws. However the mounting screws, are really well, wimpy. I mean they're less than half the diameter of the ones the factory stock was held on with. Will these screws even hold up? looks like theyd fall apart instantly.

If i get a slightly larger drill bit, would I be able to drill larger holes into the TAPCO stock and use the factory screws on the TAPCO stock?

Just use the bit that came with the Tapco stock.

You're just drilling "starter holes" anyway.

You've got to leave something there for the screw threads to grip, no?

does this mean i can use the stock screws on the tapco stock or what?

Ok so I bought the TAPCO synthetic warsaw length AK stock. it comes with a little drill bit to pre drill holes in it and the mounting screws. However the mounting screws, are really well, wimpy. I mean they're less than half the diameter of the ones the factory stock was held on with. Will these screws even hold up? looks like theyd fall apart instantly.

If i get a slightly larger drill bit, would I be able to drill larger holes into the TAPCO stock and use the factory screws on the TAPCO stock?

does this mean i can use the stock screws on the tapco stock or what?

I don't know how much more simple I can put this.

Yes you can use the standard AK stock screws with your Tapco stock

Yes you can use the Tapco screws with your Tapco stock.

Have you never drilled a pilot hole before? That's all you're doing.

Do they have shop class in school any more?

Edited by nalioth

The recoil of the gun is pressing the stock further into the gun, so unless you are planing on doing something really odd with the gun (I'm thinking like sliding across a cable holding the buttstock like a bond movie or something) the small provided screws should be just fine.

no we don't have shop class anymore

maybe i'd have understood you the first time if your response wasn't an attempt to be an asshole

and no i've never drilled a pilot hole before

I'm not quite sure how explaining mechanical principles is "an attempt to be an asshole".

maybe i'd have understood you the first time if your response wasn't an attempt to be an asshole

Starter HOLEs = STOCK SCREW POSSIBLE

I lived in NJ 30 years.. Don't be rude. Newark/Camden.. Oh I went there.....

Seriously you will gain respect. Na was a little out.. But don't SLAM here or you'll be shunned.

Al PA/NJ vagrant

Starter HOLEs = STOCK SCREW POSSIBLE

I lived in NJ 30 years.. Don't be rude. Newark/Camden.. Oh I went there.....

Seriously you will gain respect. Na was a little out.. But don't SLAM here or you'll be shunned.

Al PA/NJ vagrant

What's living in NJ have anything to do with a screw?

My guess would be he was exposed to a LOT of rude assholes. :rolleyes:

He's trying to tell you if you act like an asshole around here, then you will be treated like one.

The purpose of drilling a pilot hole is to be sure that the screw ends up exactly in the center of the holes they have to seat in, AND to give the body of the screw a same sized hole to go in while the threads are cutting and biting.

Nalioth was incorrect though, in saying you can use the drill bit that came with it, to drill pilot holes for the larger sized factory screws. That's not gonna work in this application. It may work in wood, or a softer, thicker plastic, but I would use the correct size bit if I was drilling a pilot hole for the factory stock screws, in this particular stock. That plastic is VERY thin where those two screws have to go in. In fact I found out the hard way myself, just last week. Do NOT use a center punch to start a dimple in the center for your pilot bit. I hit it one time and it blew right f'king through and broke out that whole area where both screws aresupposed to go. I'm going to contact them about it and I'm sure they will take care of me ASAP, just like they did the last time I had a "mishap" with their folding stock...

Just follow the directions and use the screws that came with it. It will be fine.

My guess would be he was exposed to a LOT of rude assholes. :rolleyes:

He's trying to tell you if you act like an asshole around here, then you will be treated like one.

The purpose of drilling a pilot hole is to be sure that the screw ends up exactly in the center of the holes they have to seat in, AND to give the body of the screw a same sized hole to go in while the threads are cutting and biting.

Nalioth was incorrect though, in saying you can use the drill bit that came with it, to drill pilot holes for the larger sized factory screws. That's not gonna work in this application. It may work in wood, or a softer, thicker plastic, but I would use the correct size bit if I was drilling a pilot hole for the factory stock screws, in this particular stock. That plastic is VERY thin where those two screws have to go in. In fact I found out the hard way myself, just last week. Do NOT use a center punch to start a dimple in the center for your pilot bit. I hit it one time and it blew right f'king through and broke out that whole area where both screws aresupposed to go. I'm going to contact them about it and I'm sure they will take care of me ASAP, just like they did the last time I had a "mishap" with their folding stock...

Just follow the directions and use the screws that came with it. It will be fine.

I'm not normally an asshole, but I know mr. nalioth likes to lurk around here and talk like a jerk-off to everyone. i don't think i've ever seen a post by him that wasn't being a complete dickwad to someone. If he talked like that where I come from, well, he'd only talk like that once.

If you want my respect you have to treat me with some as well.

Thanks for the help cobra.

I'm not normally an asshole, but I know mr. nalioth likes to lurk around here and talk like a jerk-off to everyone. i don't think i've ever seen a post by him that wasn't being a complete dickwad to someone. If he talked like that where I come from, well, he'd only talk like that once.

I'm still wondering how my original response was "talk(ing) like a jerk-off".

I'm dumb but I'm not that dumb...

I'm dumb but I'm not that dumb...

My apologies if you took it that way.

There are some people who don't have the common sense or education that you obviously are gifted with.

If you answer a question where someone without your gifts can understand it, there shouldn't be any issues with those - like yourself - who are so gifted. . .

Keep in mind all the lurkers and future members who will be reading this thread.

Tapco had a problem with their polymer early on. Cracked out easy. They replaced it with a better model. Got one on a Romanian x39 plinker. Cobra is right. Small screws provided will do the job. About 1500rds no breakage. :smoke: P.S. Brandy has a great smile.