Well I am not known around here for posting a lot. I figured it was time to show off one of my toys. I have been picking away at this for about 6 months between normal household stuff and 2 jobs, but its finally done...

post-7591-1241441673_thumb.jpg

post-7591-1241441707_thumb.jpg

...well they are never truly "done"

-E

Well I am not known around here for posting a lot. I figured it was time to show off one of my toys. I have been picking away at this for about 6 months between normal household stuff and 2 jobs, but its finally done...

post-7591-1241441673_thumb.jpg

post-7591-1241441707_thumb.jpg

...well they are never truly "done"

-E

Looks good. I've got a Mosin also. How about sharing what you did to it, stock type, optics, mount, did you cut the barrel down? I took mine out again this weekend....man that trigger on mine is TERRIBLE. It feels like I have to pull it back about 3 inches to drop the hammer. Decent shooter though.

post-16471-1241452377_thumb.jpg

7.62x54R.net had a good identification guide...

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm

I picked up a $79 special from Southern Ohio Guns, it turned out to be a 1927 Cossack, which is fairly rare.

I haven't seen the exact stock you're using, looks like a standard monte carlo. Did you do all the work on it or send it out? Which model was it originally?

Looks like it is either parkerized or hit with duracoat. The scope mount looks like the kind which replaces your rear iron sight. Barrel definitely looks cut down a bit.

Overall some people would call it a bubba gun, but you did such a nice job on it, it kind of transcends that status, in my opinion.

Well then to answer everyone's questions....

This is a type 53 chinese mosin, 1 of 3 in my collection, all of which are slated for modification.

The barrel has been cut. I cut the barrel to 18", to remove the horrible rifling in the end of the barrel, then it was chucked in a lathe and had a 11 degree crown cut.

The rear sight and sight spring were removed. Then the divit for the spring was drilled and tapped to 6-40. The scope rail (weaver base for mossberg 500) was machined to fit between the ears on the sight base then drilled to accept the dowel pin from the sight. Then I filed it to fit and be parrallel with the bore.

The bolt assembly is unmodified except for the spring was replaced with a wolf firing pin spring and then dura-coated combat black.

The trigger was replaced with a Huber trigger and set for ~4.5 lbs, still haven't set up an over travel screw yet.

The stock is an ATI monte carlo, the action may get bedded pending group testing. The barrel is floated.

The barreled action was draw filed to remove old tooling marks and slight pitting then bead blasted. The current finish is krylon camo OD green. All moving parts were then polished and fitted to be better than original. Eventually the barreled action will be reblasted and done in Aug green duracoat.

Still in the works are:

Back up peep sight set-up

Trigger over travel screw

quick detach rings for scope

muzzle brake (she kicks like a mule)

and finally duracoat barrelled action

Thanks for reading and all the compliments

-E

Lookin real good.

I did something similar.. only kept the PU scope. Floated, bedded ATI stock.

Where did you get the trigger?? Mine isn't that bad, but I notice the occasional bind. Would be nice to get one that's lighter, and smooth.

Thanks.

Full length barrel, excellent bore (not countered), PU scope.. shoots excellent.

100_0288.jpg

Thats a sweet set-up.

I set mine up the way I did because I used Cooper's concept for the scout rifle as a base.

The trigger is a huber concepts trigger, available from brownells and midway.

-E