Good news for Saiga 12 owners, we may be getting some steel mags!

I have

2 - 2 round Russian OEM Mags

2 - 5 round Russian OEM Mags

2 - 8 round Russian OEM Mags

No modifications. All have preformed flawlessly right out of the wrapper.

It is my personal opinion that there in no better mag for the S-12 than the Russian 8 rounder that was designed to go with it.

That being said If you can build a better mousetrap go ahead... Not sure I would want one but that's just me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure why folks get so wound-up about this subject, but I have 3 observations:

1) Magazines are hard to make. Specifically, it's hard to make them consistantly reliable in production quantities. BUT...

2) The current aftermarket mags aren't as good as the Russian OEM's. AND...

3) Anyone who wants to bring a new product to market should be encouraged.

Amen and hallelujah!

Larry at C Products does stand behind what he makes from what I've seen.

IIRC he's made mags for small markets before.

I for one sure hopes he makes some metal Saiga mags. I think they'd run right or he wouldn't sell them, if an end user had problems he'd make it right.

$.02

Maybe you didn't hear me clearly.... I would love to have a steel mag. That doesn't mean it's suddenly ok to go off bashing all the existing poly mags. ...

Yes.

I honestly don't a give two shits what they're made of. I wan't them to be tough and AFFORDABLE. This $40/$50 for mags that "might or might not" be okay, is quite shit. I can't even fathom paying $130 for a Russian 8 rounder but at least I'd know they'd last. Give me a US made copy of the Russian 8 rounder, with steel inserts and the same insane polymer Mike uses for his drums and I'll gladly pay $50 a pop for them. As of right, none of them are worth it in my opinion.

If the steel mag is decent and not $40/$50 dollars, I'd consider buying it.

I'm not really sure why folks get so wound-up about this subject, but I have 3 observations:

1) Magazines are hard to make. Specifically, it's hard to make them consistantly reliable in production quantities. BUT...

2) The current aftermarket mags aren't as good as the Russian OEM's. AND...

3) Anyone who wants to bring a new product to market should be encouraged.

Amen and hallelujah!

+1

I didn't try to discourage anyone from making new mags....NEVER have. What I did was try and discourage someone from spouting BS about the current mags on the market, which people have worked very hard to bring to us. Talking smack like that about AGP, Surefire, and even Promag while they are still working out the issues with their still developing product, is WORSE than saying anything that could potentially make someone chicken out on a new product. As it has been said before...there's a reason why some people, who happen to make S-12 mags, don't frequent this forum. It's because no matter who they are, or how hard they bend over backwards to help the community, there are always a bunch of whiny bitches here bashing them openly!

I honestly don't a give two shits what they're made of. I wan't them to be tough and AFFORDABLE. This $40/$50 for mags that "might or might not" be okay, is quite shit. I can't even fathom paying $130 for a Russian 8 rounder but at least I'd know they'd last. Give me a US made copy of the Russian 8 rounder, with steel inserts and the same insane polymer Mike uses for his drums and I'll gladly pay $50 a pop for them. As of right, none of them are worth it in my opinion.

Just because an AK steel mag goes for around 15 bucks, it is not realistic to expect a steel S-12 mag to be in the same price range...or even close. There are millions of AK mags (and other steel military mags) floating around, and still being stamped out every day. Good luck finding someone who will produce a steel mag for a money pit like the S-12, and make it cost less than the current poly mags on the market.

That's dreaming. Furthermore, have you ever noticed the difference between regular steel hardware of any kind, and the much more expensive stainless steel hardware? Ever had a boat?

I would love to see these mags built, and I hope they can come up with a solution to the huge amount of variance in the S-12s. Something like that probably will not be cheap though.

Well then! I guess ya told me didn't cha!? LOL!

:rolleyes:

You sir...are a perfect example of why I don't pay any attention to half the posts on this forum any more.

Get on out there and change the world then...dream on.

BTW I'm not an AR 15 person and I don't know jack shit about C mags. I didn't know they were stainless. I do know a hell of a lot about S-12 mags though and you are full of shit if you say they are all crap.

I do know about P MAGS though....Ain't dem da ones dat work so grate and everbody likes so much dese daze?

Oh....that must be because they are steel right? NOT!

Dude Cobra, he's got like 36 posts and he's been here for a whole three months, this guy obviously knows his shit! He's going to revolutionize the entire Saiga 12 market... oh wait, crap, the businesses which support this forum already did that, sorry guy you're a little late.

I've got one question for you... Where will these magazines be manufactured? If it is anywhere aside from the USA, I'm not interested! I read that Beta is out of Georgia, but no where does it say where his products are actually manufactured.

Per price, looking at all of the products Beta offers, they are pretty steep too; let's see for a drum $260-$340 ... How much is that MD Arms drum? Oh, it is the same price as their least expensive drum. I guess you couldn't be bothered with doing any actual research on your own.

Bring the product to market and people will buy it, that's how a free market works. Good products from good companies make money.

Come to this forum and slam the products sold by the business people who support the forum and act like a know-it-all, when you have pretty much no reputation... well, by doing this you've already tainted the market. You come off as an uninformed troll, so I'm much less likely to purchase from your buddy, if he ever decides to bring his product to market. When I get in the AR platform, which should be fairly soon, I'm now much less likely to purchase from Beta, good work I guess.

Try using search and see how many thread you get for steel mags or metal mags, this crap goes back for years, where are they?

Patriot12 tried that shit with all that U.S. made saiga clone crap and we all know what happened to him. That being said I believe new products should be encouraged and where there is a demand there is likely to be a supply. I look forward to buying some Chaos 10rd drums. Put me down for a few, if they work I will buy more. If not I will be patient and see how I can fix the ones I have and buy more when the bugs get worked out. Facts of life.

Just because an AK steel mag goes for around 15 bucks, it is not realistic to expect a steel S-12 mag to be in the same price range...or even close. There are millions of AK mags (and other steel military mags) floating around, and still being stamped out every day. Good luck finding someone who will produce a steel mag for a money pit like the S-12, and make it cost less than the current poly mags on the market.

That's dreaming. Furthermore, have you ever noticed the difference between regular steel hardware of any kind, and the much more expensive stainless steel hardware? Ever had a boat?

I would love to see these mags built, and I hope they can come up with a solution to the huge amount of variance in the S-12s. Something like that probably will not be cheap though.

Aren't the cheap ones impoted mil surp anyways? I would expect a premium on stainless US mags. But they could very well be worth it

1) The market is wide open for a Russian 8rd clone mag, and I mean an exact clone.

2) I agree with Cobra, CProducts will have difficulties in dealing with the variances in the S12 magwell and lockup.

3) I own 10 AGP mags, I had to send a few back for issues and they were replaced in quick order, that being said, I personally feel AGP could have chosen a better plastic mix.

4) Finally, I personally would rather see a magwell and drop free mags.

I lost all faith in CProducts. Larry is a liar and I'll never do business with his sorry ass company ever again. I order some CProducts DPMS mags and paid for them in November. After numerous emails asking where my mags were...Larry would respond each time "your mags will ship in the next week." I heard this song and dance for months. I stumble on a thread on ARF where some members there who ordered the very same mags in January...already received their orders...when I paid for my mags 3 months earlier and was still waiting on my mag order.

I ended up waiting over 5 months to get my mags. I bought from CProducts in the past and in the past Larry made good on his word, so don't give me the whole song and dance about what a stand up guy Larry is...I know better with this final dealing with his company. I told him that my mags better arrive soon or the CT AG and the PA AG was going to get a letter and phone calls from me. I hope if they start making mags that no one on here will pay for the mags up front because it may be quite a while before you ever see your mags.

I just wished other companies would begin offering 8rd mags...I don't care if it's polymer or aluminum.

Well I too have been in contact with Larry about these mags. Advised him of some of the common flaws of the plastic mags. In fact i had criminal poet beat by just under month on the Mag request on ar15.com. I will admit i am a complete boot to the Saiga world as i just completed my conversion, and i am no expert, just know what i have read here. and what i learn on my own in the past month.

I do know this... Larry runs a Magazine production company, that is his business. When the high power service rifle shooting community asked for Stainless Steel Straight 20rd mags. He delivered, and they work great i got in on some of the first ones. now were asking for Saiga 12 mags, and i hope he will deliver. Though i'm sure if they go into production, my 308 mags are going to take longer to ship :rolleyes:

With today's panic buying and steel/alum shortages of course C-Products is way backed up. I get mags every month from them, and i can't remember when i ordered them, i just order more each month. Of course developing this mag is going to be tedious and surly there will be some type of fitting instructions included with the production mags. Nothing a metal file shouldn't take care of. Also he is going to be needing beta testers for his mags, and i would guess he would come here to find them, as you guys are the experts.

Not to mention Capitalism... Maybe with the introduction of steel mags to the market prices might drop some.

This may be my 3rd or 4th post here, but i have been a lurker for a few years ever since i found out about, and fell in love with the Saiga 12. Now i'll be more active here because i am the proud owner of one. Also is it September yet??? I want one of those barrels that king armory is making.....

Larry at C Products does stand behind what he makes from what I've seen.

IIRC he's made mags for small markets before.

I for one sure hopes he makes some metal Saiga mags. I think they'd run right or he wouldn't sell them, if an end user had problems he'd make it right.

$.02

+1 His 6.5 Grendel mags are a quality product. I can vouch for those

post-18302-1241990049_thumb.jpg.

Put me down for another buyer for the metal mags. 10 if they work as good as the russian factory ones. Don't care what the price is. I am with several other posters in other places on this site, a mag that may or may not break or misfeed when I need it is no good to me. I need something that can be made or bought 100 percent reliable and tough as nails. When I need to take out some zombies I will not be feeding my 12 guage beast birdshot or bulk crap. I wanna throw 8 to 20 hot, bad ass 3" magnum monsters out of the beast with no worries. 47-68 bucks for a mag that might or might not break when you feed the gun what it was designed to eat is shit. Build me a mag that works, is tough, and can be relied upon and I will buy it. Period. The more I think about it, while I AM NOT interested in building any for anyone but myself, I am a machinist by trade, has anyone come up with an idea to modify some sort of existing mag or even put a couple of mags together to make one that may work in the s 12. Just curious.