Saiga .308 Grip Nut Hole/Trigger Guard Hole Placement/Measurements?

Hi, I'm in the process of converting my Saiga .308. I have gotten the bottom plate off and found out there is NO GRIP NUT HOLE (which I could see before). Looking at the "Cross-Conn.com" Saiga conversion website, it has the measurements/template for drilling the 7.62X39 grip nut hole. Well I took those measurements to my .308 and they look off!! Does anyone have THE MEASUREMENTS FOR PLACEMENT/DRILLING THE PISTOL GRIP NUT HOLE IN THE BOTTOM OF A SAIGA .308 RECEIVER? Is placement the same as on a standard AK-47? Thank you.

Edited by LPCVT

I went the KISS method on mine. I just held the PG up in my hand against the receiver in the manner I would when firing, and where it was comfortable, I marked the center. Then I took my little triangle file and widened the old trigger slot enough to fit the grip nut.

For the trigger guard, I just slipped it under the mag catch on the front, and the PG on the back. It's been solid for at least 500 rounds so far.

Sure, i could have drilled a hole under the mag catch and pop riveted it, and done the same under the PG, but it's solid, and it works, so I figure it's all good.

Hope the helps,

Acer

Yea, I ran into the same problem when I converted mine. I think I took the rough measurements from cross-con and then just lined up the trigger guard and the pistol grip where I wanted it. I think I marked where I wanted to place a screw for the trigger guard and then went from there...traced around the nut and then "shaved" out the hole with a dremel tool (slowly). Part of the hole did go where the old trigger hole was. Only put a screw in the rear of the trigger guard and placed the front of it under the mag release much like acer did. Hear is the link to the page I had when I was having trouble: http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=31989

Hope this helps, I know I kind of rambled on there.

-Broke

So, if I just use a standard AKM stripped receiver (Nodak Spud) as a template for drilling the pistol grip nut hole in my .308, I should be alright?

I have noticed that not all pistol grip nuts are the same. I have two pistol grip nuts, one is a bit larger than the other and will not fit into one of my rifles. I would suggest you buy the grip nut first and measure it off that.